N.O.S. question: what is a safe shot on stock plugs

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
going to run my buddys c5 vette later on this week... what is the biggest shot i can do with my stock plugs? also for future refrence how safe is the 200 pills they send with the kit?

MoonRider

Established Member
I would swap them out for a colder plug like a ngk tr6. I'm not sure if a 200 shot is safe on stock pistons I seen a few running 150shot but tuned for it also what nitrous kit you useing

Last edited:

DTL

Established Member
platinum and N2O don't play well together. If you were desperate, you could put a .040" pill to it once and probably be ok. If it was me, I'd spend a few bucks and put some NGK 6510s in it. With those plugs, some race fuel and a dedicated nitrous tune, you could probably run your "200 shot" (.07x" pill I'm guessing). Who's kit is it??

DTL

Established Member
I would swap them out for a colder plug like a ngk tr6.

FYI: The older "TR" plugs are too short for the Coyote heads. The plug won't reach far enough in to the chamber. You have to use the longer "6510" plug.

MoonRider

Established Member
FYI: The older "TR" plugs are too short for the Coyote heads. The plug won't reach far enough in to the chamber. You have to use the longer "6510" plug.

Ok I'm still thinking fox body lol but yes platinum and nitrous is a no it will blow the tips right off the plugs.

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
platinum and N2O don't play well together. If you were desperate, you could put a .040" pill to it once and probably be ok. If it was me, I'd spend a few bucks and put some NGK 6510s in it. With those plugs, some race fuel and a dedicated nitrous tune, you could probably run your "200 shot" (.07x" pill I'm guessing). Who's kit is it??
thanks it is a nx plate kit, none of the stores in my aera have the right size plugs for sell that are 1 to 2 heat ranges colder... ive got some ordered and they will be here on the 7th, the race is going down on 1st so kinda sol there... i have the sct advantage 3 software so i can make a tune for it. you think i could do a 100-125

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
i understand you can go up to 125 on a stock tune and stock plugs(wet kit).
then you want to take out 2 degrees of timing for each 50hp addition.

03lowram

Established Member
What's done to the C5? Is it zo6? Even you being stock and if he's stock you'll beat him.

cuzracecar

Established Member
my best n/a run with my 03 z06 was 12.20 with a mid cam,bigger injectors and new nittos 555s at the time.... and that was power shifting trying to rip the shifter outta floor cuz i wanted to break into the 11s for i have a money bet goin on at the time lol

so whats the vettes mods? unless hes spraying too i wouldnt worry to much

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
vette has heds,cam, intake, long tubes, and he has a bottle on it said hes running a 75 shot.... prolly going to be a good race

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
my car has full cobra jet suspension, sway bar delete, 4.30 gear, off road h, intake, tune, and nitrous... we are both on et streets mine are 28'' radials his are 26'' bias ply...

DTL

Established Member
If I remember right, Platinum acts as a catalyst with nitrous and bad stuff can happen. Somebody explained the chemistry to me once, but I never messed with those plugs, so it went in one ear and out the other. Start with a slightly richer a/f and pull about 3* of timing out with about a .050" pill and go from there. NX's out-of-the-box tuneups tend to run a bit rich, but I don't know an EFI jet spread off-hand to give you. You'll have to do some logging and sneak up on it. Please keep us posted!!

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
What is considered safe and what you can get away with are 2 different things , typically a 50 shot is your limit on the stock heat range plugs , can you do more ?? Yes but any reputable tuner will tell you not to. I ran a 50 dry shot (35 jet) with stock plugs no issues and when I pulled the plugs to go one step colder they were still in perfect condition

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
vette has heds,cam, intake, long tubes, and he has a bottle on it said hes running a 75 shot.... prolly going to be a good race

Don't trust that "75 Shot"... Coming from the Corvette world, take it from me....Prob more like a 125-150 on your basic bolt-on C5.

Not saying he isn't running a 75, but its not the norm with those cars.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
If I remember right, Platinum acts as a catalyst with nitrous and bad stuff can happen. Somebody explained the chemistry to me once, but I never messed with those plugs, so it went in one ear and out the other. Start with a slightly richer a/f and pull about 3* of timing out with about a .050" pill and go from there. NX's out-of-the-box tuneups tend to run a bit rich, but I don't know an EFI jet spread off-hand to give you. You'll have to do some logging and sneak up on it. Please keep us posted!!

I thought coyote motor used iridium plugs not platinum ??

Users who are viewing this thread