N/A highest compression on pump gas

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
Your valvetiming has a lot to do with the amount of compression also. If you are running cams with say less than 220' @ .050 and a short exhaust duration ( like Comp Cams in the catalog ) for a good N/A aspirated combo. You may want to stay around 11:1 for a good safe and sane tune. If you step up to say 235' @ .050" you could easily run 11.5 - 12:1. Remember these engines do not need a lot of exhaust duration like the old pushrod engines did/do. And, the higher the compression the faster a four valve head loses internal exhaust pressure once the valve leaves the seats. If you run a dual pattern cam ( more exhaust duration ) like say a crower cam ( as stated in their catalog ), you could feesible get away with a little more compression. But, you may lose some torque down low and more horsepower upstairs in comparison to a cam set that is either single pattern or dual with a slightly less duration exhaust cam. Another note to consider for cams. Too much valve lift on the four valve heads ( not GT or GT500 heads ) can be hard on the valve springs. Our short installed height ( 1.42" - 1.47" )can cause valve spring over heating and breaking. That is why FRPP chose to raise the retainer on their valves , thus adding more spring material. Lending it to more long term reliability and less heat in the spring.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
11-11.5 to 1 is safe with 93 octane, anything higher will require the timing to be retarded.

Last edited:

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
:shrug:

check my post above...

The new 5.0 is very different than our motors so cr discussion would be separate for the two designs.

I know they are complete different motors but I was just stating a fact my good sir :beer: It can be done on our cars though.

venumissvt

Established Member
id just like to say that this is a great thead!:beer: iv been planing a build similar to this. the info on here is great guys. i wanted to get as much as i could staying N/A. but for now i just blew the rear up sooo yea. but thanks for the info guys. :thumbsup:

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
if you dont mind could you tell me what kind of setup your running and what power range your in? heads, cam, intake, CI?
sure. Its a 97 cobra with stock heads (only a valve job done on them)stock cams, stock intake and its 5.1L. On a stock h-pipe and stock intake tube I made 309hp and 322lbtq.

Users who are viewing this thread