Mystichrome Cobra

alicecooper

Established Member
Hello everyone not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have read the FAQ a few times and think I am ready for my first terminator. With that being said I found a mystichrome terminator near where i live for sale. It is a coupe with exhaust and CAI. It has 156k miles on it with two previous owners. Currently is sitting at a dealership and they are asking 17k for it. The car is super clean. I am having them do a compression test tomorrow and if it goes well i might go look at it Thursday. So i have a few questions. First off, does 17k sound reasonable for this vehicle? Second, the 156k kind of scares me but at the same time im not afraid to do a rebuild once i get the money, rather have that be later than sooner, what are your guyses opinions, is it a ticking bomb or should i be safe? Just want to say I am really looking forward to looking at this car but i want to be well prepared first so any help is greatly appreciated.

va boy

Established Member
As far as miles, yeah 156K is a lot, but if compression/ leakdown tests look good, well, that speaks for itself. A number of folks on here with that many miles and more. I know many of those said owners have personally put all those miles on their cars and can speak to the history of each one as well. Remember that 156K is on everything. I'm talking about clutch, radiator, IC pump, you get the idea. When buying one with that many miles, it would be great to be able to track the history of the car, were they a member here possibly, go read through all threads pertaining to said car, a Carfax would be an absolute must too. So, in a nutshell, 156K is high mileage, but if treated right, can still have plenty of good years left. As for the 17K price tag, WAY too high IMO. Have you checked out the used Terminators in the market section on this site? Many, if not all of those can be studied up on in past posts, i.e. you can read about the history of the car on here, good or bad, you'll know.
Anyway, don't know if this was helpful at all to you, but good luck, the hunt is a lotta fun, at least I thought so.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
frankly with a clean carfax (which is only an indicator and NOT definitive) I would be more concerned with the condition of the paint than the engine. the paint is expensive if done right. and I agree that 17k for that many miles is too much. you can have a much much lower mile cobra for just a couple of grand more

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd never consider for that price even though it's a great color. To give you an idea I paid 19,500 for mine and it had 20k miles. Are you willing to travel some to find the right one? Something to think about.

Hostlntent

Established Member
I'm along the same lines as everyone else; price could be cheaper but being that its at a dealership and given the color...doesn't surprise me that they'd inflate the price for it. there are others that could be had on both a lower mileage cobra at a lower cost. but to each his own; if that's really what your set on and the opportunity presents itself to have and make her your own and you're willing to possibly drop more money on other miscellaneous maintenance type parts etc. then that's all you. I'd walk in that dealer with the mindset that I could find one cheaper elsewhere but yet still entertain it and see how much the dealer is willing to take off. if they weren't willing to budge much on the price then I'd easily walk out.

tnuce10

Established Member
That's way too expensive OP. I don't care what color the car is.

Save your money and look around the market, there's much better deals to be had. Don't get in a rush buying one of these cars. Figure out exactly what you want and be patient the right deal WILL come along.

That MC is NOT the right deal.

Nice thing around here is you can always post up the car(s) you're looking at and get feedback

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Thats over priced for the mileage. I know MC will pull more of a premium but with 156k miles you would have to think that its going to need some paint work from rock chips. Like RDJ said to do it right, its going to cost you.

After you figure in the price of the car and the work you want to do and have to do, you would be better off buying a lower mileage car for not much more money.

If you are dead set on MC I would tell you to save a little more money and be patient, you will find one that will be a lot nicer for the price.

If you are open to any color, for $17k you open up a ton more options.

Best of luck!

ModMike1572

Established Member
frankly with a clean carfax (which is only an indicator and NOT definitive) I would be more concerned with the condition of the paint than the engine. the paint is expensive if done right. and I agree that 17k for that many miles is too much. you can have a much much lower mile cobra for just a couple of grand more

I agree, dont spend 17k on a car with 156k miles even if it is a mystichrome. You can spend a few grand more and a get mint condition 30k mile terminator if you're open to other colors. JMO

8gtoklr

Established Member
17k might be high. Since its a dealer Im gonna assume there isnt service records...? I would ask 12,500 even if engine came back healthy because you dont know if previous owners did the tune right or ran nitrous or a big blower etc... Also as VA Boy said if you have a 156k on IC pump, Alternator ABS module, betls, pullies, idlers,EGR Lines etc...the parts bill is gonna skyrocket

Last edited:

Jkay98

Established Member
For comparison, I paid 22K last year for a black 03 Cobra, one owner, with 12K on it. I bought it from a dealership as well. I think they originally wanted 25K for it. I think it was trading in a week prior to me buying it.
I'm sure whoever traded it in probably got robbed on the deal.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
17$K for a Cobra with 156k miles....pass!

+1

listen to these responses....pass. I have not seen the car you are talking about....but IMO much better condition, lower mile cars are out there for not much more than 17k. I realize dealerships get a premium as they are in most cases local to you and easier to deal with especially if financing is involved....but 156k miles is just essentially a total pass in my book for these type cars (especially mystichrome) unless you're just searching for a drag car roller. They're not honda civics. Don't settle for the "convenience" of a dealership. A private individual sale and/or a little travel is sometimes necessary.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I'd never consider for that price even though it's a great color. To give you an idea I paid 19,500 for mine and it had 20k miles. Are you willing to travel some to find the right one? Something to think about.

how are you paying these prices, I cant find squat for pricing like that!

bigmoose

Established Member
The mileage is a big turnoff. Even if the car looks mint its value will always take a big hit due to the mileage. I think a low mileage car that needs work is better than a mint high mileage car. At least with a low mileage car you can always fix it, but you cannot lower mileage, legally that is.

alicecooper

Established Member
Thanks for all the quick replies! I am going to pass on it. As cool as the mystichrome is, you're all right about the price and the mileage. They're kind of hard to come across up here in WA, I wouldn't mind traveling to ID or OR for one, but seems like there's only 1 per month that goes up for sale. There is a red 2003 with 89k miles, 540+hp for 19k private seller, but still too expensive for the miles, plus it was probably driven hard since it has a Kennebell on it and who knows if it is tuned right, etc. I am going to keep my eyes peeled for a sub 100k mile cobra closer to stock the better, rather mod it myself and do it right.

Here's the mystichrome link. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/4947116255.html

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
how are you paying these prices, I cant find squat for pricing like that!

Paid $19.5K for mine shipped in 2005 with 15K miles. So they are out there.

That is way too expensive for that many miles.

Last edited:

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
First off, Mystichrome ROCKS! The color-shifting paint is mesmerizing. If you want MC, go get one. That said, this car is over priced for the miles. I'm sure after 150,000+ miles, the paint and color-shifting driver's seat will be in rough shape. If you can get this car on the cheap, consider it, but I doubt the dealer will come down to an acceptable level. A professionally repainted Mystichrome car that has been wet sanded and polished to a show car quality finish would be killer.

Also, you can still buy the seat skins new.

cj428mach

Established Member
I paid 16k for my old 77k mile SB car that was in good shape.

I realize MC might be a little more desirable than SB (although I wouldn't agree lol) but I'd think for a 17k MC car you should be getting one at closer to 80,00-100,000 miles

MysticRob

Established Member
As said many times already, $17k for that mileage is too much. I am very surprised though that the driver seat left bolster, and especially the steering wheel, are in such good shape. Normally I see the steering wheel mystichrome dye completely worn away by 70k miles, so I get the feeling someone replaced it, and maybe that driver seat. I've seen the steering wheels go for $500 alone on ebay.

Gawdawful looking BBK intake on it, and what the hell is that Moroso decaled thing covering the driver's side fuse box?

I'd consider $10k or a bit more if the paint is in decent shape. I repaired paint chips in mine using a 2oz mystichrome dabber and clearcoat dabber from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ (ensuring no paint/clear build up above the chip), 2k wet sanded the spots, then polished, and you couldn't even tell where the damage was.

Last edited:

alicecooper

Established Member
The car looks like it is in killer condition, but the miles is such a deal breaker, that and the price, I've tried to get them to budge on the price and they won't come down.

Users who are viewing this thread