My Winter Project

Cheyne

Established Member
Here are some pictures of my 04 Cobra that I'm converting from SCCA T1 trim to WCGT/ITE and possible AIX trim. We already had the cage done last year, but we had to make a few modifications; roof bar, raised the dash bar, connected the cage to the strut towers and installed in floor subframe connectors. I'm also switching to a Tilton dual pedal assembly with a QM 7.25" triple disc clutch on a Fidanza flywheel and a QM Tri-Lite release bearing. For now I'm going with Stoptech 14" front brakes and leaving the stock rears alone, unless some can aim me at suitable replacements. The stock IRS with modifications is staying for now, but will most likely be replaced with a 9" live axle. I purchased MM's complete front and rear pieces for the IRS, we already had the IRS bushings and diff bushings. I'm also replacing the roof skin, fenders (2” wider) and hood with carbon pieces from Paul Brown and Paul's splitter in fiberglass. SCCA Pro has not given us the weight the car needs to be, but Paul thinks it will be around 3000lbs.

cheyne2.jpg

cheyne3a.jpg

cheyne6.jpg

cheyne4.jpg

The car comes back from the fab shop next week and I will start to finish the car and should have more pictures by then.

Cheyne

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
you'd have to explain what the dual masters and balance bar would do to most of these guys here. they only know black blowers and drag radials....(taunt...taunt...)

you were so competitive in t1 you decided to move up to wc? :eek:

i love that caliper pic you posted earlier.

dig that big pile of miscellany shoved in the rear quarter - parts from both ends!

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Which rear strut tower brace are you running?

Cheyne

Established Member
For those who don't know a dual master (actually triple) setup from Tilton has two masters for the brakes and one for the clutch. With a balance bar I can adjust the brakes front to rear during the race. I also have a hydralic clutch release bearing and a Quarter Master 7.25" three disc clutch, but we switch to a 5.5" three disc clutch which would put less drag on the drivetrain. This is a pretty common setup on a Trans-Am/GT1 car which is my background.

I'm moving out of T1 because the Cobra can not be made under the rules to compete with the Z06. The Z06 is 400lbs lighter than the Cobra. This only kills the Cobra. I worked with the SCCA to get a package of parts from Steeda approved to help the Cobra, but it was shot down as not part of the philosophy of the class. This did not suprise me since the Touring Committe and Comp Board have several Z06 drivers. In WCGT trim the Mustang may not win, but the SCCA Pro management is willing to work with me and other Cobra owners to at least make the car not a complete back marker like T1. Plus I hated running T1 after spending the last 7 years in a Trans-Am/GT1 car. T1 was just to stock for me.

So you like the parts in the back seat. Some are parts that we will use and some are parts that will be coming up for sale, like the fuel pump. We need to weld the thermostat housing up that is in the back seat.

Shelby if you want to stop by and check out the car let me know or if you want to come out for one of our local races. My current plan is to run Road America, Mosport and Laguna Seca in WCGT and several SCCA ITE and MCSCC races at Blackhawk and Road America to shake the car down.

Cheyne

Cheyne

Established Member
I don't run a rear strut tower brace in the normal sense. Instead the rear braces from the main hoop connect to the rear strut towers and then a bar runs between them connecting to the same mounting plates. The tube is all 1 3/4" with a .120 wall.

DSCF0201.jpg

This picture was taken last year when we were still running T1.

Cheyne

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My buddy races at Lime Rock, CT. Man would he love to work on that car! Sweet!

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
I would love to crew for you at road america. You'll be there for june sprints? or is wcgt a supporting race for the alms event?

would love to see the car in person.

i'll already be at BHF for most 'council weekends. saturday autocross, and sunday working a corner.

neat stuff!

Cheyne said:
For those who don't know a dual master (actually triple) setup from Tilton has two masters for the brakes and one for the clutch. With a balance bar I can adjust the brakes front to rear during the race. I also have a hydralic clutch release bearing and a Quarter Master 7.25" three disc clutch, but we switch to a 5.5" three disc clutch which would put less drag on the drivetrain. This is a pretty common setup on a Trans-Am/GT1 car which is my background.

I'm moving out of T1 because the Cobra can not be made under the rules to compete with the Z06. The Z06 is 400lbs lighter than the Cobra. This only kills the Cobra. I worked with the SCCA to get a package of parts from Steeda approved to help the Cobra, but it was shot down as not part of the philosophy of the class. This did not suprise me since the Touring Committe and Comp Board have several Z06 drivers. In WCGT trim the Mustang may not win, but the SCCA Pro management is willing to work with me and other Cobra owners to at least make the car not a complete back marker like T1. Plus I hated running T1 after spending the last 7 years in a Trans-Am/GT1 car. T1 was just to stock for me.

So you like the parts in the back seat. Some are parts that we will use and some are parts that will be coming up for sale, like the fuel pump. We need to weld the thermostat housing up that is in the back seat.

Shelby if you want to stop by and check out the car let me know or if you want to come out for one of our local races. My current plan is to run Road America, Mosport and Laguna Seca in WCGT and several SCCA ITE and MCSCC races at Blackhawk and Road America to shake the car down.

Cheyne

Last edited:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Looking at those master cylinders, I figured there was a seperate master cyl. for the front and rear brakes. Pretty trick setup. Once setup, you must have one hell of a solid brake pedal. Nice buildup you have there.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
the slick part is the balance bar between the two brake master cylinders. it allows very fine adjustments of brake bias without reducing pressure to the rears, unlike the usual valve with the knob.

plan b said:
Looking at those master cylinders, I figured there was a seperate master cyl. for the front and rear brakes. Pretty trick setup. Once setup, you must have one hell of a solid brake pedal. Nice buildup you have there.

Cheyne

Established Member
Thanks.

The nice part like ShebyGuy mentioned is the ability to adjust the brakes front to rear and back during the race. As you burn off fuel you can move more brake biased to the rear to help the car stop more evenly. Usually around the 1/2 point I will turn the brakes back one full turn, it is 18 turns from front to back and we generally start at 12 to 13 from the rear. The trick is to get it set so the rear are just about to lockup under hard braking. Also in the rain you turn the brakes to full to the rear so you don't lock up the fronts, but you have to remember to reset the balance if it drys out. I forgot once at Blackhawk and went off corner 6 backwards when I locked the rears up and swapped ends.

Also anyone in the Chicagoland area that wants to see the car just let me know. Also if you are at a race I'm running don't be shy. We love to have visitors to show off the car to.

Cheyne

Users who are viewing this thread