My Very Bad Day

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Hey All,

I really had fun at my HPDE on 10/13-14 at Thunderhill. Unfortunately I had a mishap during my second session on Sunday.

So, I broke out different parts of the video.

Here is the first part at full speed. Two mistakes here:
First, I missed the checkered flag, so I was driving harder that I may have if I had seen it.
Second, I didn't brake on the uphill to the turn, so I carried too much speed into the next braking point and didn't scrub-off enough. I had been braking on the uphill, but didn't this time - Brain Fart, I guess. A very expensive brain fart.

th_LastHPDE.jpg

I walked away with a strained neck and a sore lower back. The Shelby...not so good. I had a CG-Lock on my belt, so my butt stayed planted in the seat. I feel that is the main reason I didn't bash my head against the roof. Both doors still open and close, and the engine is running when I stopped rolling. I think these cars a fairly well built. I don't mind the pork-factor so much now.

Here is part of the above clip in slow motion.
th_SlowRoll.jpg

I feel badly about the whole thing. There is no disposition on the car, yet. I'm waiting to hear from the ins. co. and the body shop. I may buy it back if totaled and put the drivetrain in my '65 GT coupe.

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
i watched the video and i was like..uhmmm did he just roll his gt500..glad your OK! hopefully you can work something out with it.

TAHOE GT

Established Member
i watched the video and i was like..uhmmm did he just roll his gt500..glad your OK!

Yeah, that was two complete rolls.

Apparently, there is a swale in the dirt there which may have contributed to the roll over. Also, the left-side tires debeaded. That probably didn't help either.

Oh yeah, the quarter windows were broken out by the safety crew so they could sling the car from the tow truck.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
thats terrible man! glad to see your OK though! i think we've all had that moment right after it happens where you sit there "oh shit! did that just happen?!?!", unfortunalty yours was far worse than most! the insurance should cover this since it wasnt a racing event, right?

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
glad you're ok, sucks about the car but it was a pretty cool wreck and it happened while doing what you obviously enjoy doing.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
man i am so sorry for your loss and def. know how you feel, that car is def. totaled almost all rollovers are, do you know if the insur. will cover it since you were on a track?
let us know what happens, hopefully you can get another as i did.

Jroc

Established Member
I hate that for you man. IMO your GT500's color looks the best to. I am glad you are ok.

Ruslow

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the roll over.It looks like you were running opposite normal race direction?I did not know that track was really set up for that if that is the case.Super fun track if you can stand the heat.What group was this with?Hope everything works out and I would remove the stickers and also this post 'just incase'.Insurance companies look for way NOT to pay!Stan

TTNotch

Established Member
Wow that sucks man, sorry to bring this up, but are you willing to sell your stock pulley to me? The guys who worked on my car warped it and I need to get it to stock to bring it to the factory to get the crappy clutch replaced.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
How much speed were you carrying into the corner to have the car roll like that? I'm surprised it rolled the way it did, wasn't it just a flat dirt runoff? Very sorry for you by the way. Glad you're OK, just go buy another one.

R1Lello

Established Member
do you know for a fact that the insurance will even cover it since you put it on a track...........my won't for sure so good luck and sorry it happened.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
sorry about your car , but glad you are alright. hope everything works out in your favor

ELITE1

addicted to SVTP
Established Member
Holy crap, I can't believe that is your car. I saw pictures of it the other day someone posted on another forum and I was just shocked to see that. I guess hitting that cone on the freeway last year was like getting a rock chip compared to this. I am glad that you are ok and I hope everything works out for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread