My turn: 1st time home buyer and want to see what advice you guys have

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I loved my RC8R...Most enjoyable bike I've ever ridden. I just had too many close calls and it wasn't worth it.

Those bikes were awesome. I wouldn't buy a super sport for street use though. Would be a track only bike. I'm impatiently waiting on the new 790 duke, but would gladly "settle" on a 690 duke or husqvarna 701 supermoto. Also want a new 450 sx-f. So much wants...

Rct851

Established Member
I know you're not talking about me as I don't have an Instagram, but I loved my KTM. It would have looked good in my garage next to my ACR lol

No sneaky snakes.

I'm talking about the 450sxf. ive spun a few laps on all the new 450's and besides the forks (but it's close now) it's on a different level to me.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The only advice I'd offer is asking if someone died (natural, murder, suicide) in any potential house or property one is interested in purchasing.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Those bikes were awesome. I wouldn't buy a super sport for street use though. Would be a track only bike. I'm impatiently waiting on the new 790 duke, but would gladly "settle" on a 690 duke or husqvarna 701 supermoto. Also want a new 450 sx-f. So much wants...
I have a fancy for a 1290 superduke. Id love one for my first on road bike.

nxhappy

Established Member
nothing wrong with saving up and making more cheddar. only YOU know your finances and what you can afford.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
nothing wrong with saving up and making more cheddar. only YOU know your finances and what you can afford.
This is true and it is a thought I have quietly kept to myself. Im always open for advice and constructive criticism, but it is kind of humorous to get ridiculed, saying I continue to make poor financial decisions when my credit score is over 800. By keeping the GT500 for now I may be choosing the wrong path temporarirly, but I also know I could offload that car in a week no problem, and same with the bike.

The way I see the car also is that the only thing I really do is work. I love it because I work with all of my friends and we all share a common love for cars. Outside of guns and stuff the car is the only real hobby I have. I could always replace it with one that is cheaper, true, but I would still get shit for sinking money into parts on a Fox or SN95 or something. It's the one hobby I have had since I was 6 and if I got out of it I'm sure I would just end up consumed with work and I would lose connections with a lot of people.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Having a high credit score does not mean that you aren't making poor financial decisions.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
This is true and it is a thought I have quietly kept to myself. Im always open for advice and constructive criticism, but it is kind of humorous to get ridiculed, saying I continue to make poor financial decisions when my credit score is over 800. By keeping the GT500 for now I may be choosing the wrong path temporarirly, but I also know I could offload that car in a week no problem, and same with the bike.

The way I see the car also is that the only thing I really do is work. I love it because I work with all of my friends and we all share a common love for cars. Outside of guns and stuff the car is the only real hobby I have. I could always replace it with one that is cheaper, true, but I would still get shit for sinking money into parts on a Fox or SN95 or something. It's the one hobby I have had since I was 6 and if I got out of it I'm sure I would just end up consumed with work and I would lose connections with a lot of people.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Late to the party but instead of writing a novel, just going to throw out some points, so have been touched on. May come off harsh, but it's honestly meant to help.

-Don't compare your situation to others, some who bought that make less, might have had family gift them money, or been saving for years.

-You won't be anywhere near $1200/m unless you drop a huge downpayment, among other things, seems HOA fees average $250-$500/m in that area. So whoever said you'll be closer to $2k a month, isn't wrong.

-It's clear you will justify the bike and car whether it makes sense or not. Saying the car is for advertising is nonsense, it's not your shop, and highly doubt the bonus you get is a direct result of your car and not the others. Unless costumers come and and say it's a direct result of your car, and your boss gives you a percentage of the sale, it's only because you want to justify it. Same goes for doing a big build on a car you're upside down on, it's very much a want, nowhere near a need. You said you could sell it in a week, you could, however it seems it would require you cutting a check to the bank to pay it off on top of the sale price. Same goes for living rent free and using that money for mods. Doesn't matter who you have helped, you're not helping yourself. Focus on temporary pain for long term gain.

-Gun and cars are also my only hobbies really, but I would never keep something just to keep friends. If you lose friends because you don't have a performance car, doesn't say much about the relationship. You don't need a fast car to grab a beer with friends. Same goes for if you built a much cheaper Mustang, and they would give you shit about it. Unless they're funding it, they can stfu.

-Avoid big banks, they suck. Since you're a Marine, go to NavyFed, or I can give you a lender that is veteran owned, who can give you a run down and get you approved, but just looking at the numbers it isn't the right time. Which sucks since the fed is looking at two more interest bumps this year. Same goes for never letting a lender lie about your pay, that can come back to bite you in the ass a lot of ways. Underwriters look into everything, and you may not be as lucky if they want verification.

-You said you used to build custom homes, did you point and direct or can you do your own work? If you can, I would look into a fixer upper that you can work on. Not only is it cheaper, but you will build equity faster. Plus you may be able to do a 203k loan, essentially allows you to finance the repairs in the loan. Few more hoops to jump through, but may not be a bad option.

-Does your bonus get paid in cash, or do you report it to your taxes? If it's documented, you can have a lender count that to your income, if find one that goes up your tax documents and not your pay stub. I own a business, so went this route to save a shitload of headaches.

-Between the gf going to law school and current finances, I would really buckle down on all expenses and minimize everything you can. If you think you both will get married later, help her start making good finance/credit decisions too. Houses get expensive quick, so go in with a strong hand and not just barely getting in. I grew up dirt poor, so just keep learning and getting yourself into a good position.

May be missing a few things, and it turned into a novel anyway, lol.

nxhappy

Established Member
I would just save up some money, pay off all your debts, and once you secure more pay at work, start looking at houses. And Hopefully the interest rates will stay low. Then again, it would take a while to get ridiculous like it was in the 1980s, back in those days rates were well over 10% compared to 4% right now. Another piece of advise.....live with your woman BEFORE you get married and before you buy a house. It will prepare you for what life is really like hahaha. Living with them is completely different than just dating. And if her ass is on the deed, you better make sure she's the one to marry.

Users who are viewing this thread