My Tuning experience blew my motor and led me to sell my 03 cobra..

skypilot

One thing that jumps out at me is the following quotes:

Originally posted by F8l Vnm
This was the first time that I saw my A/F ratio and it was at 12.3!!!

snip...

So I waited about a month never got on the car after that and took of my mass air and mafterburner off and called him for another dyno tuning session , once again he was last about 45 min and I let him know that the car was pinging.

So, this guy is saying that he had a MAFterburner on his car, but had no idea what his A/F ratio was?

BS.

The ONLY reason for anyone to have a MAFterburner is so that they can tweak their A/F themselves. So, this leads me to believe that he was trying to tweak his own A/F without a wide band, and then he took it off before taking the car back to Shawn, probably so that Shawn wouldn't even know he had it.

F8l Vnm, I think you blew your own motor(s), and just don't want to take responsibility for your own stupidity!

Last edited:

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
Originally posted by Pyro
I am not "Rushing" to defend Shawn. I'm just sharing my experience. Take it or leave it. The man did nothing but what I asked and paid him to do. I even got a follow up call from him to see how the tune was going. I can't ask for more.

I'm not not pointing fingers here..I am just stating that alot of times the "cheerleaders" jump in for their tuner no matter waht the situation...Again I am not even saying Ellis is at fault, it maybe the guys fault or it may be Ellis's fault..to me it doesnt really matter because I dont live on the west coast anyhow:coolman:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by LTHL PSI
I'm not not pointing fingers here..I am just stating that alot of times the "cheerleaders" jump in for their tuner no matter waht the situation...

:lol:

So true...

Pyro

Established Member
I dont know exactly what a "Cheerleader" is but as I said, I'm just providing my experience. Isn't that what the forums are all about? In part, at least? I have no loyalty to Shawn nor is he my "buddy" so I have no motive except to provide input to my fellow enthusiasts. "cheerleading" and "Tuner Bashing" are two sides of the same coin and I am doing neither.

Pyro

Established Member
I dont know exactly what a "Cheerleader" is but as I said, I'm just providing my experience. Isn't that what the forums are all about? In part, at least? I have no loyalty to Shawn nor is he my "buddy" so I have no motive except to provide input to my fellow enthusiasts. "cheerleading" and "Tuner Bashing" are two sides of the same coin and I am doing neither.

Pyro

Established Member

Pyro

Established Member
I can easily keep my mouth shut and in doing so, keep all my experiences to myself...in short, saying you are all on your own. (not that I know a whole hell of a lot anyway) Is that what its come to? If so, I'm in the wrong place and may just as well bug out.

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
Originally posted by Pyro
I can easily keep my mouth shut and in doing so, keep all my experiences to myself...in short, saying you are all on your own. (not that I know a whole hell of a lot anyway) Is that what its come to? If so, I'm in the wrong place and may just as well bug out.

I think you totally misunderstood what i was trying to say..I was never talking about your replies or anybodies in particulars in this thread. All i was stating was that in the past in threads like this..even when the customer was right, the tuner's "cheerleaders" would come on and defend him even when they knew he was wrong, and i'm not talking about shaun, i'm just generally speaking. I think its fine that you post your opinion or facts, good or bad. I always post my negative stories, but at the same time i also post my positive ones too. Again I was not pointing any fingers, i was making a general comment. Besides you can tell who is a cheerleader and who isnt..just read some of the replies on similar threads or maybe even this one.

VENOM98

NOVI POWER
Established Member
Expert opinion from DAVE KING............

Dave King

Trader Rating: (-1)

Corral IM:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=504232

I read this entire story not knowing neither the customer nor the tuner. I then re-read the story (it was very hard to read and follow). I'm not seeing this story the same way the rest of you are. It would appear that the customer is in the wrong because of the following reasons.

1. Everything was good on the car and then you installed a different pulley. Your fuel system was probably not up to the job and was on the borderline before the pulley swap. He should only be responsible for what he did and that was setup the tuneup on the car in the configuration it was in. By spinning the blower faster and making more boost that threw his entire tuneup out the window. Therefore he's off the hook. If would be different if you were talking about a 96-98 Mod Motor car with a FMU and a return fuel system. The FMU would be able to detect more boost and increase fuel pressure to compensate for the extra cylinder pressure. Spinning that particular blower that fast probably put your air temps much higher and gave you that much less protection against detonation as well.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well after 1 dyno run and a reburned chip that he did before he got there my car put out 507 Rwhp and 499 Tq.
Got on the freeway and the car felt really strong but was not pinging even more.
I ended up paying another $250.
So thats when I started to add a little of race gas everytime.

Than I added a 3.10 upper along with my 8 lower I also had an Idler ..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You changed the cars configuration after it was tuned. Even if you added race gas that doesnt mean that it will protect you from an inadequate fuel system. Race gas will give you better detonation protection from spark knock only.

2. You continued to drive the car with detonation.
3. You didnt do a before and after compression check.
4. You didnt do a compression or leakdown test when you started having problems.

Therefore fault seems to be with the customer on this one provided the facts are correct in the post.

Again I don't know neither party here personally nor have I heard of either one.

The blame is always easy to put on the tuner, but he can't be liable for this one.

5.47@133 mph 1/8
Thanks to my following sponsors
Procharger
Dynamic Racing Transmissions
Procharger F2M Supercharger 36 psi
Hogan intake
Procharger Air to water intercooler
Dynamic Powerglide
Neal Chance Converter
FAST engine management tuned by Dale Cherry
160 pound injectors, Weldon 2035

sckcobra

Established Member
u guys who say shawn is not at fault are full of shit. it is his responsibilty to know the possibility of failure the safest routes to take ect.. we are at the mercy of our experts. and to all those who are in buisness u should only have one goal- perfection! being late is not ok and pinnging in ur engine isn't either. if ur not striving for perfection, get a new fu**ing job. this shit really irritates me. people will tell u whatever u want to hear to get ur money, most are full of shit and don't know shit either.

SGL

Banned
Originally posted by sckcobra
u guys who say shawn is not at fault are full of shit. it is his responsibilty to know the possibility of failure the safest routes to take ect.. we are at the mercy of our experts. and to all those who are in buisness u should only have one goal- perfection! being late is not ok and pinnging in ur engine isn't either. if ur not striving for perfection, get a new fu**ing job. this shit really irritates me. people will tell u whatever u want to hear to get ur money, most are full of shit and don't know shit either.

Wow! What kind of english is that? How about striving to write perfectly? Crawl back in your hole.

03cobra34

Established Member
How can you mod a car more after its been tuned and expect the tune to work?:shrug: If the car was pinging you should have taken it right back!!! I had my car tuned by Shaun and my check engine light came kept coming on. Shaun did all he could to get it fixed. He reflashed the car at his house (after hours) to fix it, sent me on my way and it came on again. I turned right back around and he fixed the problem. My point is that Shaun will do everything to fix his mistakes and if your car isn't right when you leave take it back!!! Shaun got me good numbers and I plan on going back.

Mint Julep

Established Member
Aside from the respectful, objective and ARTICULATE posts to this unfortunate scenario, there are too many inexperienced CHILDREN posting here and it's past your bedtime.

It's really easy to hide behind posts that are testament to some folks ignorance. People, unless you're willing to post your SoCalDiablo tuning receipts, dates, and current status and disposition of your tune with before and after tune mods, stop the hearsay and start producing the goods.

Funny how everybody wants big numbers, like they're going to be the new kid on the block to beat everyone else. If the only thing some of you can do is attempt to bash a tuner you have never worked with, let's call it an adult tantrum.

As tantrums go, if you're still doing them you clearly didn't have enough drywall in your diet as a child. Now is your chance to stop acting like children and take some responsibility.

And if you can step up to that plate, maybe it's not bedtime for those of you big enough to look in the mirror.

Enough said -

Mint

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
Well put Mint!!! I'll lead off with my info on both Stangs. I have Dyno Sheets for all sessions and I’m willing to take digital pic’s of all my dyno runs if someone is willing to help me post them?

04 Cobra Vert

2/28/04 ~ 430.4 SAE RWHP/400.1 TQ ~ SoCal Diablo 1st Predator Tune with the following Mods installed: Magnaflow X-Pipe w/Cats and Magnapacks, Accufab TB/Plemen upgrade, UPR CAI.

4/2/04 ~ 450.6 SAE RWHP/470.7 TQ - SoCal Diablo 2nd Predator Tune Session with these additional Mods: X2C CAI, 8lb Lower/Stock Upper Combo

4/30/04 ~ 505.4 SAE RWHP/485.6 TQ ~ SoCal Diablo 3 Tuning session with the following additional Mods: Apten Upgrade and GordsFord HE w/Fans.

96 GT Vert

4/30/04 465.4 SAE RWHP/436.7 TQ SoCal Diablo 1st Tune on a Coast High Performance Street Fighter Pro Engine with PowerHeads 01 Ported Head Conversion package, Stage One Cams and ATI Procharger DISC w/12 PSI on Plastic Intake.

5/9/04 Next appointment to retune since I added a ported/polished Bullet Intake (I hate plastic)! I'll post new numbers once I get them!!

All in all, it's very easy to point fingers, place blame, bad mouth and act like children and be a horse’s ass from behind a screen name!!! Only the owner and Tuner know the whole story. I’m sorry for a fellow Cobra SVT Owner to loose his ride and my heart goes out to him because I know it would break my heart if/when I have to get rid of my Mystichrome...but...life goes on!!! I'm not taking either side in this 'he said, he did' thread. I've posted my experience with SoCal Diablo as I'll do with the good/bad info from any experience from all the Speed Shops I go to from XMP, X2C, GRC, Superior, JBA, etc.

Let's let this thread die if all that will come from this point on is continued bad mouthing, whining, acting like lil spoiled brats, etc.

If anyone wishes to post their dyno numbers with Mods as a comparison then do so in a friendly and professional manner and let’s cut the B/S out of this thread.

That's my .25 cents input on this thread...take it or leave it!!!!!!

~ Doug :beer:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by hedstrosity
:read:
damn troll...always trying to get as much info to stir the pot and fu*k with Shawn. this guy was dumb and fuc*ed himself.

hedstrosity

take the BLUE pill :)
Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
damn troll...always trying to get as much info to stir the pot and fu*k with Shawn. this guy was dumb and fuc*ed himself.
one common denominator in three ocurrances
F8l Vnm -- dgussin1 -- combatstang
all very recently.. i wasnt gonna say $hit but read..
THE :read: was to *subscribe* so i can see how this unfolds.
dont worry, you'll grow up one day and see 2+2 really is 4, no matter what your tuner tells you :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread