My stock 03 L vs stock 03 Cobra

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
I meet up with a couple of guys last night with some pretty fast rides. There was an 11 sec nova and mustang 5.0 with a built motor and a holley supercharger on top as well. To cars I wouldn't mess with, even with the L. Anyway, there was a dude there that had a yellow 03 Cobra. I was talking to him and eventually led into running him. I wanted to go from a dig but he wanted to go from a roll. He said he wasn't good at lauching the car yet. Even if it is stock. So I gave in. We hit the interstate at at a 40mph roll. My friend in the passenager seat counted on his fingers for the Cobra and out loud for me. I was pretty nervous anyway, but didn't think anything about taking it out of o/d before we started. The dude in the Cobra got a little jump on me because I had to wait for my truck to gear down from 4th to 2nd instead of 3rd to 2nd which I found out is faster on the way home. (Maybe one of you can give me some advice on starting for a roll with a automatic tranny.) I am way better at lauching. Anyway after he got the little jump he pulled me pretty much the whole time. By the time we let out of it at the tip top of 3rd almost 4th he had about 1/2 a car length on me. I'm guessing he would of had a full car length if he didn't have to let off the gas because of the car he caught in front of him. Needless to say I was very disappointed with my part of the race. I wanted to run him again but he had to go. I was real nervous. Worried about cops and the Cobra too. hehe But I felt I could of had a lot better run then then that. I did a poor job of getting off at the count of 3. He was already in 2nd reving, I don't know 3 grand maybe. I was in 4th reving 1500 maybe. lol I should of took o/d off but didn't think about it until it was to late. After I finally got took off I held him for a bit. Then he started pulling again. I couldn't sleep last night after that. I know if we went from a dig I would of killed him. I guess he did too. He was only 19 or so. Bad run! I'm not sayin he wouldn't of got me. I don't care about that. I just could of ran him harder.:bash:

Helix

Still, I learned what not to do. Can Cobras mod more then we can? I want to mod until I can stay with a modded Cobra. This possible on a stock block? Whats your input, feel free. Oh yeah, it was a blast too. :beer:

camcojb

Established Member
Stock versus stock they're quicker than an L. But if you get up against a guy who can't launch you might very well take him. 40 mph is a crummy mph to start from as it's too fast to kick into low and at the bottom end of second gear. At least in my opinion!

Jody

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
No1 he'll always have a faster vehicle as he has about 1000 LBS less weight to haul around but you have one advantage and its torque as the 5.4 can make more over the 4.6 due to the extra stroke. But if you get a JDM short block or anyone elses built block then it can happen. But strictly on the stock block your limited to around 16#'s of boost max any more than that and somethings bound to break.

Mike Corrigan

Established Member
A co-worker of mine and I race all the time. He hasn't perfected the launch yet,(I think he's scared of it after a little mishap) so I can take him all the way up to 45. After 45 he he pulls real hard on me.

Now from a roll, he will jump and never has to look back. I would say from 45-95 he could have 5 car lengths on me.

-Mike

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
I should be able to wake my L up in the next month or so...hopefully. Think a JDM stage 1, 4lb pulley, with a Silverbullet exhaust be in the mid 12's? Maybe a thottle body but doubt it. The only thing I am concerned about is which CAI and Chip to get. Superchip or Diablo tuned from where? Think regular CAI with a 12" filter orr the JLP Ram air. Think the ram air is better?

Helix:burnout:

Last edited:

Tim03cobra

Established Member
I traded my 03 L for a 03 Cobra. I really miss the L because I used it for light hauling and drag racing:D. It was a commercial truck. The only thing bad about the L was everyone kept talking about weak rods. Anyhow with a 5 lb pulley and chip my best run with the L was 13.4's with Et streets. My first run with the Cobra and a L upper pulley was 12.3 with the same Et streets. Both runs were in 90 deg. weather. The truck would never hook up at the track with a best 60 foot times in the 1.9's or maybe I could have had better results. My observation would be that the Cobra will out run you unless he breaks a axle :kaboom:

Aaron_01

Banned
Originally posted by Helix
Still, I learned what not to do. Can Cobras mod more then we can? I want to mod until I can stay with a modded Cobra. This possible on a stock block? Whats your input, feel free. Oh yeah, it was a blast too. :beer:

They come stock with a built block, nicley forged internals let them have the freedom we dont. I wish SVT could have forged our internals. Plus they have a DOHC which flows much more than our SOHC which is why they respond better to mods than we do.

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
How much can one get a built long and short block for? If I got a short block would I use the stock heads just do some machining? Then bolt on a KB. How much boost and hp can I get out of a KB on 93 octane?

Helix

Last edited:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
How much can one get a built long and short block for? If I got a short block would I use the stock heads just do some machining? Then bolt on a KB. How much boost and hp can I get out of a KB on 93 octane?

Helix
JDM sells his for around $4500 but thats just the block I think.
So its not cheap you can easily run upwards to $12,000 just in the Engine. With these trucks its easy to make power just not cheap to do it though. Most boost I would run on Pump is 20#'s MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any more and just one ping and say hello I need another complete Engine.:cryying:

Established Member
20#'s of boost on a stock block:eek: is crazy!!! Go with a 4lb lower, factory tech valve body, e-fan, and a chip with a good tune you'll be well into the 12's. :rockon:

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
okay i am a lil lost here, what vehicle are we talking about that vsed the cobra??
the only thing that comes to mind when i think of "dsg" is the new vw...
and then when someone said it has a 5.4 torque advantage over the 4.6 in the cobra, i got thrown of again
WHAT CAR IS THIS?!?

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Originally posted by TorchRedCobra04
okay i am a lil lost here, what vehicle are we talking about that vsed the cobra??
and then when someone said it has a 5.4 torque advantage over the 4.6 in the cobra, i got thrown of again
WHAT CAR IS THIS?!?

It's not a car, young Pup.....it's a truck.....Lightning truck

DSG = shorthand for "Dark Shadow Gray" ... color of said Lightning truck. Different color than the RED one in my avatar.

5.4 liters of engine displacement is > 4.6 liters of engine displacement.....especially with the difference in gearing....known to affect the available foot-pounds (measurement of work, in physics)...directly related to horsepower generated.

:dw:

Aaron_01

Banned

Helix

Check out these built shortblocks. They dont require a core return either

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Originally posted by Aaron_01
Check out these built shortblocks. They dont require a core return either

I took a look at the link you posted. The prices look pretty good...but then I looked at the Long Block prices, and they were STILL pretty good, compared to JDM's prices, though.

What got my attention is the Short Blocks come with a choice of Manley rods but the Long Blocks don't....:shrug:

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
This is STILL just speculation on my part, but I am thinking out loud only....

The newer Gen 3 "has been rumored" (emphasis is mine) to have :

1. 5.4 l engine block with GT40 heads, 3 valves per cylinder.

2. Roots-style blower replaced with twin-screw blower....more
efficient.

3. DOHC replacing the SOHC in the stock engine.

Just these three improvements alone is enough "rumor-control" for me to keep my mileage low, hold off on modding my under warranty engine, and save my money for a trade-in on the 2006 model....I happen to like the concept body-style, though.

It's nice to look, but I suppose I will save my money and milk the warranty until something better pops up.....and knowing Colletti/SVT, it probably will.:rockon:

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
Originally posted by TorchRedCobra04
WHAT CAR IS THIS?!?

young pup...yea u can say that considering i am 17 going on 18, but still loving the 04 cobra :D
and yea i know wut the lightning is, and i do know about the dsg color, and i feel pretty stupid now that the 5.4L and "L" didnt ring a bell in my head saying LIGHTNING..
and by the way
ah man, screwd up my first post in these forums lol

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Yup, you did, but welcome to SVTPerformance.com.....

I am 39, but still I learn quite a bit from some of the other metalheads/modders here.....:thumbsup:

The ones who actually invest in pushing the vehicle to the limit let me know what NOT to do....:D

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I should be able to wake my L up in the next month or so...hopefully. Think a JDM stage 1, 4lb pulley, with a Silverbullet exhaust be in the mid 12's? Maybe a thottle body but doubt it. The only thing I am concerned about is which CAI and Chip to get. Superchip or Diablo tuned from where? Think regular CAI with a 12" filter orr the JLP Ram air. Think the ram air is better?

Helix:burnout:
stage 1 and the pully sound good, but go with a heat exchanger instead of eh exhaust, you will get more out of it
a fatory tech valve body is not a bad idea either

Users who are viewing this thread