My son just got his DL and I am helping him pick his first car...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Great bed-head on that young man! LOL.

My vote is a honda of some sort. "quick" enough to have fun in, but not enough to get away from you. Super easy to drive, cheap as dirt to buy and maintain.

For a commuter, I picked up a 93 Accord that has been H22 swapped and it runs like a scalded ape, gets 29 mpg, and i paid $1500 for it.

With the money left from the initial purchase, he can install fancy wheels and a pounding stereo system that every 16 y/o wants.

earl lee

Established Member
Get him the Crown Vic, you have to factor in his height. When it comes to fun cars height is a disadvantage for the gifted tall.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I'd say a 99-04 GT, but he would have to decide if he fits in one ok or not. How much driving will he do? If fuel costs aren't too much of an issue...

9e5c961e08ec75c711065add55c4d2a4.jpg

At 16 I really liked the idea of something pre 1975 so I didn't have to smog anything. Down side to anything that old is they aren't safe in a crash by any means.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Also, my '01 bullitt was my first car. Definitely fast enough to be stupid in and be fun. But not something thats so unreasonably powerful that there is no margin of error. Its easy to learn to manage.

cbj5259

Established Member
Inexperienced driver, potentially driving in winter conditions...then anything rear drive should not be an option. Civic or Subaru. Driving a rear drive car on even moderately slippery roads requires some experience and skill...something he won't have for a while. I get the "cool" factor of a Mustang and such but at the end of the day that's my baby in that car and I plan on keeping him/her safe. As others have said the civic and Subaru both have enough cool factor that he won't be shunned at all.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Very cool that your boy earned some cash to put toward the car. That's a great life lesson right there.

Every WRX I have ever seen in the $5k range had a lot of miles and was beaten within an inch of its life.

Sorry - but even a MkVIII is a lot of car for a youngster. They were too much car for kids when I was young and that hasn't changed. If he proves to have some good driving skills then maybe...but most kids do not have what it takes to drive something that was quick back when the car was built - not by today's standards.

Good comments above about FWD. If your winters are at all dicey then 4WD or FWD are a good idea...or a tank like a Crown Vic.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Very cool that your boy earned some cash to put toward the car. That's a great life lesson right there.

Every WRX I have ever seen in the $5k range had a lot of miles and was beaten within an inch of its life.

Sorry - but even a MkVIII is a lot of car for a youngster. They were too much car for kids when I was young and that hasn't changed. If he proves to have some good driving skills then maybe...but most kids do not have what it takes to drive something that was quick back when the car was built - not by today's standards.

Good comments above about FWD. If your winters are at all dicey then 4WD or FWD are a good idea...or a tank like a Crown Vic.

Very true about the Subs. The used ones tend to be pricey but they are great cars. I had a Civic back in the College days and loved it. Cool factor was there and the price was right.

SirShaun

Established Member
Is he a good kid? Does he listen? See... probably most of us hard headed bad asses, had to wreck our first cars to learn a lesson.

It's a different time now. If he's a good kid, sound's like he's doing well with responsibility, let him learn in a bad ass Rear Wheel Drive V8. Don't let him end up in a Mustang Leaving Cars and Coffee video on youtube when he's 30.

He going to have to learn sometime. Might as well be now, when cops are gonna be somewhat lenient on him, and it's not anything too bad ass.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'd go with a 4x4 truck. Something in that price range will be beat to shit which will get him experience fixing it. He will get into an accident so the size will help keep him safe and the traction will be good in the snow.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I bought my first car, a 1996 Cobra, for $5000 when I was 15 in 2009. My family threw a fit saying I would kill myself in it being a convertible, but I proved them wrong lol. Never got a ticket or a wreck in the 6 years I owned that car. Easily manageable power and very reliable. Bought it with 109,000 miles and sold it with 149,000. The new owner that I keep up with has 160,000 and climbing, and it's still running strong as ever. I'll buy it back some day

nxhappy

Established Member
lets face it he doesnt need a v6 and he sure as shit doesnt need a v8, cause that would be trouble. I would say honda accord, civic, toyota camry, nissan sentra, etc etc

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
The best part is that it is small. When it came to party time, we didn't jump in my Mustang, we took my friends 70 Olds 88.

Users who are viewing this thread