My son just got his DL and I am helping him pick his first car...

ArabianOak

Established Member
Hey Gang,

My oldest just turned 16 and I am helping him select his first car. He loves sports cars like most 16 year olds but can't afford anything crazy (which is a very good thing).

He got his DL Marine Corps style as he took it in my wifes 10 passenger T150 Ford Full size van! (he has 4 sibilings and one on the way, so this is one of the few vehicles that fits all my kids) LOL. The instructor was in shock that anyone his age would even consider taking the test in that monster van but this is the van he learned to drive in and he didn't even think twice about taking the test in anything else. (pics below)

20708353_10155009394136775_5349601074085050897_n.jpg

20728407_10155009394131775_4871988557326941458_n.jpg

20727910_10155009394141775_189611938987979653_n.jpg

His budget is around 5k. I told him whatever he saved up working the last year I would double and he has around 2500. Since he got his DL last week he also landed his first official job. So he now has the income to also pay for his insurance and cell phone I just added to my plan.

Anyways, he's a bigger kid...he's 6'3 and the doctors told us he would most likely be between 6'7 and 6'9. Crazy....lol. I'm only 5'11 and my wife is 5'10...so no idea where this height came from. But my point is that he can't have anything too small.

I wanted to get everyones input on a "cool" first car. Again, nothing too powerful, I want something safe but somewhat fun for him. Here is a short list of cars I think he can afford based off my research on CL. Please let me know your thoughts. We are located in the western suburbs of Chicago. So if anyone knows of anything local please let me know.

1. Ford Mustang/Dodge Challenger/Camaro V6 versions...

2. Mazda RX8 (from what I read these are difficult to work on and very unreliable)

3. Subaru WRX

4. VW Beetle (I know this is a little girly but my first car was a 73 super beetle)

5. Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor

6. Honda Civic

Something great and safe in the winter would be good too...that's why the Subaru is on the list. Please let me know your thoughts or if I should add anything to my short list. I appreciate everyones help and I know he will as well!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is quite a story regarding him taking his DL test in that large a vehicle. Kudos to him! Does he have any first-blush personal favorites as far as a first car? Does he have his own wish list? Maybe you could sit with him and build a list together, considering reliability (he will want to keep maintenance costs down), safety, economy and being fun to drive. Do it together.

A stock Mustang GT in very good condition would be a likely possibility. I would certainly be fun to drive and in stock configuration the power shouldn't be overwhealming. Any car can be bring injury if not driven properly. On the other end would be the Honda Civic or Honda Accord. Reliable and economical, and with snow tires either would be fine in the winter with snow. The Accord would have a bit more power. The Subaru WRX would be a balance of power and snow ability, but I don't know about the reliability.

coposrv

Established Member
An SN mustang can be had for pretty cheap and their fairly reliable and really easy to work on. a bunch of my friends and I had them as first cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Yeah, I'm leaning towards a 99-04 Mustang GT. They're definitely not too powerful, but they can easily be made to sound good and look good. Plus they're cheap.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
He's not going to fit in a new edge, so it would have to be a on '05 up Mustang. That's probably where I would start, early S197 V6 Stang in as good of condition and miles as you can afford. You also might want to consider loaning him a few k on that 5k if needed and you trust him to pay you back. As far as winter - rear Blizzaks for Christmas on some spare rims.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
The Honda Civic. Reliable and not going to get away from him. Kids mod those things so he will still feel like he has something. Plus it's a neutral car, meaning it's not too nerdy and not too cool. He won't be disappointed more than likely and it should hold up to the abuse it may go through.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
I am 6'2 and my brother is 6'6. I have a new edge while he had (sold last year) an sn95. We both fit into them surprisingly comfortably. I opt for a 99-04 2v as an excellent first vehicle. Especially for up and coming gear heads. You get the sound of a v8, but without the brute power. 2v's are turds, but they are super easy to work on, get decent gas mileage with a 5-speed, and very reliable. He can mod them for cheap and in doing so, learn how to do things himself to a car.

I daily drove my 99' 2v for 3 years, and ended up driving it 1500 miles to Texas when I decided to take the plunge into adulthood at 20 years old. It never missed a beat.

Find a 99-04 with 70-80k on the clock for $3,500-4,500, and use the remainder for some lowering springs, wheels and cat back!

Also, doctors told me the same thing growing up. I was 6'2 in the 8th grade wearing a size 14 shoe. They told me I was going to be 6'6-6'8. I guess they jinxed me, because I never grew another inch lol. My little brother got the height, and he was the exact opposite of me. Crazy how life works.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Get him a 6 cylinder Altima. 8-10 year old models with reasonable miles can be found for under $6k. They are fairly sporty and powerful.

I know everyone is saying a New Edge GT but he can still get in trouble with that as a young driver and it's still going to be terrible in the snow.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I'd rather have something vintage. Something different. Something durable, easy to work on, NOT fast, and cheap to insure. Late 60's/early 70's full size pickup...Galaxy 4-door...Torino wagon...even a Fairmont. Clean, different, simple, and likely to appreciate. I doubt many will agree with me, but I think even a new edge or fox body V8 or a V6 Altima is too much car for a young driver.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Do not have any recommendation except to look at what he has a want for. Then try them out to see how he fits in it. Try to not get something that is too much for him to handle. People at that age tend to not be as alert and a high hp car is asking for trouble. Aside from that congrats on him earning the money to help pay for it. Too many just give their kids a free car which does not teach responsibility.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Aside from the usual foxbody/sn-95, I'd consider a Mark VIII. DOHC 32v V8 but far from fast without mods. If you can find one that has been spring swapped instead of air then you'll have virtually no issues. Can be had cheap, and my buddy who is 6'8 fit in his with no issues. I'm 6'3 and was super comfy in mine.

Otherwise extended cab F150/250/350 preferably the 96/97 years as they were tanks, or 5.0 explorer. Both are cheap to fix as well and a million of them around for parts.

SirShaun

Established Member
A clean fox that he can keep and throw money at forever. At this rate the platform should stand the test of time for being one of the lightest to build upon. The stock 4 link is a thing of beauty as well. They just work.

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
Civic. Easy to work on and dependable. Remember, if his car breaks down, it will be a burden on you and your wife, so dependable is the most important trait.

I also believe that a first car should be something of a beater, because he will ding it. We all dinged our first car.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Can't go wrong with a WRX. It's safe, reliable and awd for the winter. Might have to rip the front seat out and have him sit in the back to drive "Police Academy" style though lol.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
WRX would be the best choice IMO. Fun, reliable and AWD for the winter. Also cheaper on insurance than a mustang I'm sure. However, your going to be hard pressed getting in to one even halfway decent for $5000. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread