My Solution for Lazy Seat Belts

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
My brain started turning about this over the winter, sitting in my room watching Chris Harris videos on YouTube while it was a balmy 20 degrees out here in Massachusetts. I believe I was watching the video of him driving the new GT3RS and noticed how cool it looked with him wearing a colored seat belt. Inspiration below :rolling:

26437080773_31049a61d9_b.jpg

I've been thinking about this for a long time and really was sick and tired of dealing with the infamous lazy seat belts. So me being me, not wanting to spend $500 on 2 brand new front seat belts from Ford and having them look exactly the same, I wanted to do something outside the box.

So I hit the interwebs, started researching companies who make replacement seat belts and came across Seat Belts Plus. I ordered some samples a couple months ago and decided that the red would be best for my car and I would order when I was ready to do it.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH14134C-6.html

I was a little worried about doing this at first, 1 being that these are safety restraints and I did not want to risk anything by making the car unsafe and using parts that don't work right and 2 being there is no returns on these items once they're installed. I was feeling motivated last week and decided to go ahead and order the front 2 belts and give it a shot. I ordered the 3 point retractable belts with the 6 inch buckle.

They were delivered to me on Friday and I took to the task yesterday. I didn't really take too many photos, but taking these parts out of the cars is pretty simple. I wanted to share with everyone that this is an option and it was basically a direct bolt. I ended up ordering the hardware kit from Seat Belts Plus, but only ended up using one bolt for each side from the kit. Everything else I reused the stock bolts.

Onto the goodies:

27007534926_95391e106b_b.jpg

I used the stock bolt here and tightend it into the car. The retractor was a little smaller than stock, but it was study as can be once it was snug
26946450662_d196585bb1_b.jpg

After I bolted that down, I needed to put the interior panels back in to bolt the rest of it in the car. The part where it bolts down to the floor is the only spot I used their hardware to make it work. The stock bolts would not fit through the hole in the metal end of the belts. When I get more time, I'm going to unbolt it down there and drill the hole bigger so I can use the stock bolt.

Installed pics:
26435218064_650e6b70de_b.jpg

27007540006_f3c24b7169_b.jpg

26946469942_387b0fc5db_b.jpg

26435297284_165d488261_b.jpg

Once they were in, I was pumped :lol1:
27007543906_b66eba3d6f_b.jpg

Also, before I put the belts in, I compared the seat belt clip on the ones I ordered with the stock ones in the car. Turns out, they are identical so they worked perfectly with the OEM buckles. My only issue I have with these belts is that the clip does not move easily. It has some sort of rough metal bar to keep it from moving freely. It's almost like one of those old school lap belts that get tighter when you pull. Eventually I want to find a way to maybe grind that smooth so they move easier.

But in the end, they work great and look awesome. Once I found the correct spot for the clip, it actually doesn't need to move much so it was a lot less annoying to put on and take off.

Figured I'd share with you guys for an alternative to the lazy Ford belts :beer:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I usually don't like white cars but I really like the way you did this car. Everytime I see your Sig I always think it's the "Ferrari"addition cobra.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I usually don't like white cars but I really like the way you did this car. Everytime I see your Sig I always think it's the "Ferrari"addition cobra.

Same with me. This car works in white. (A Lamborghini Countach does too!)

As for the colored belts, I like the red. Looking at your exterior colors, I'd be tempted to try a set of yellow belts (not sure they are even available) to match your calipers/center caps.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Looks good. Minor details like this are very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your red interior (which looks awesome!) really cried out for red seat belts. The two go together real nice. Much better than the charcoal belts. You continue to impress us with the subtle but important changes you've made. You definitely have one of the nicest looking white Terminator out there. :rockon:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My lazy do you mean loose? My seat belts always stay snug, and my wife complains about them wanting to choke her lol.

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
^^^ +1, my belts are starting to get loose and not retract, they usually stay tight around the body but when you unclip they don't roll all the way up. Time to take them out and clean them

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member

Haha thanks. I basically based the color scheme off a Ferrari since I thought they worked so well together. I like mixing in different cars into mine :beer:

I can't picture it but would it be possible to put the stock clip on a set of belts like this?

I really wanted to see if that would work. But I could not get the clip off the red belts to swap it over.

Same with me. This car works in white. (A Lamborghini Countach does too!)

As for the colored belts, I like the red. Looking at your exterior colors, I'd be tempted to try a set of yellow belts (not sure they are even available) to match your calipers/center caps.

I considered trying yellow, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized it wouldn't look right. Interior isn't high end enough to pull off a yellow belt. I would do it if my seats were black tho!

Your red interior (which looks awesome!) really cried out for red seat belts. The two go together real nice. Much better than the charcoal belts. You continue to impress us with the subtle but important changes you've made. You definitely have one of the nicest looking white Terminator out there. :rockon:

Thanks Bob! Subtle details are my favorite :rolling:

My lazy do you mean loose? My seat belts always stay snug, and my wife complains about them wanting to choke her lol.

Yea, they would be fine while they're buckled on me, but wouldn't retract when I took them off so they'd just flop around. Really annoying when I'd get out of the car and they'd nearly fall out of the car and whack the side skirt.

Bigggy

Established Member
I may look into these also. My driver side belt need a bit of work to retract and the pass side almost does not retract at all, it's anooying to tell everyone to be careful to leave the belt on the seat each time.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
How well do these reatract compared to stock? My car only has 30k and even when i got it with 19k they sucked at rolling up.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Looks dope. I need new belts, my wife hates how they are twisted and sometimes dont retract all the way. What color red? Just plain red or flame/wine etc? Would match my redfire perfectly from the pics!

joshcarp81

Established Member
The seatbelts have always bugged the crap out of me in this car. They always seem to get twisted or hard to pull or not want to retract quickly. One of my biggest gripes for sure. I definitely like the looks you have going on there but I just want stock belts that work. I think the clips are the only thing holding back here. Just think the stock ones look better imho.
Any idea where to find factory seat belt latches? The red in mine are a little faded and thought about replacing.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Thank you for this!

:beer:

How well do these reatract compared to stock? My car only has 30k and even when i got it with 19k they sucked at rolling up.

They retract perfectly. I bought my car with 17k, now has 23k and it has been doing it ever since I bought it haha

Looks dope. I need new belts, my wife hates how they are twisted and sometimes dont retract all the way. What color red? Just plain red or flame/wine etc? Would match my redfire perfectly from the pics!

I got the regular red. For redfire you might be better off with the "Wine" color, but I would just email them and ask them for samples of some colors you're interested in.

The seatbelts have always bugged the crap out of me in this car. They always seem to get twisted or hard to pull or not want to retract quickly. One of my biggest gripes for sure. I definitely like the looks you have going on there but I just want stock belts that work. I think the clips are the only thing holding back here. Just think the stock ones look better imho.
Any idea where to find factory seat belt latches? The red in mine are a little faded and thought about replacing.

Yea, if I can somehow find a way to get the factory clips on these, I really want to do it. It my only dislike about the new setup, but I can live with it for now. I'm not too sure where you'd find some factory buckles, maybe check Ford of Whitebear Lake (vendor on here) or a local junk yard for a cleaner set.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
Very very nice, I was thinking about a parchment color seat belt a while back but I was unsure if I'd like it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread