My Service Woes and Cobra problems!

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
My Service Woes EDIT: Happy Ending...

Took my car into the shop AGAIN on Monday. My steering was creeking REAL bad and my TOB and tranny was the worst it has ever been. The clutch pedal would vibrate harshly at any speed and with the pedal on the floor, it sounded like a marble rattling around in a tin can... Anyway...

-This is the third time in the shop for TOB.
-Second Time for steering creeking.
-(Previously, it was in Twice for the rear end Pop)
-Also, a TSB involving the front control arms has been performed.

Today I got a call from my SA telling me that they are going to install a brand new transmission. He said there were 'other things wrong' with the one I had now. So, what now? This is kind of ridiculous...

Any comments or suggestions?

I am very fond of my car. I have/had 2 1973 Mustangs, a 2002 Mustang GT, and this 2003 Cobra. I could sell the car and put my monthly payment into my 73 Mach suspension (Total Control, is not cheap) and then work on that hulkin 351???? Argh... what to do?

Last edited:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Id give em one more shot, and if they dont get it right, start looking into Lemoning it in your state. Laws vary state to state though.

Im biased though, i love mine so far (rolled 1k miles last night)

DPS

Established Member
I agree, since your getting a whole new transmission, maybe that will get you back on track. Of course I am biased in my opinions since I am still in love with mine.:) I'm sure troubles a lot of troubles makes you look at things differently.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Same boat. LOVE my car, feel that it was built with paper clips. Maybe I'll ask Santa for an E55.

jason

jlsnsw

Hello San Diego!!!
Established Member
At least they are covering it under warranty and did not come up with some excuse to not cover it.
I would give your car another chance.

stang99

It sounds as if you have broken TOB guide tube problem. Make a request for more details about the nature of the defect with your car. And definitely, attempt to get a new flywheel; clutch' TOB; TOB fork arm; and tranny. It is unclear why the TOB guide tube is breaking in some cars but the best guess is something in the geometry of the TOB/TOB fork/clutch/pressure plate puts too much force on the wimpy TOB guide tube and causes it to break right at the Ford Adapter on the end of the T56. That's why you want to replace everything in an attempt to get a good setup that will not break again. I would not be happy if the dealership was not telling me what was wrong with my Cobra. Just because they are fixing it under warranty doesn't mean that they shouldn't discuss the exact nature of the mechanical problem with the owner. It is your car and you have a right to know exactly what has failed.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Tetge, thanks for the comment. I definately think that it is wierd that they didnt go in to any more detail with me on the EXACT problem with my transmission. They are still waiting for it to arrive, so I have time to get up there and see what all is going on.

Thanks guys! All you with barely new cars I hope they keep feeling that way... I am torn on this issue!

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Just a useless update...

The Dealer actually replaced the entire transmission, flywheel, etc...

The car drives better than new. I dont have hardly any 'diesel chattter' in first and the pedal feels GREAT!

It feels friggin Awesome to have my car back!!

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Thanks fellas...

Now Im hurtin' to start modding her some more... Maybe catback this time?

Users who are viewing this thread