My old car insurance company was raping me...

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I have been with Allstate for 13 years, and was under the impression that my current rate was OK, but wow was I ignorant.

Perfect driving record, 29, model driver by all standards- again ignorant.

After an increase of 15 bucks a month for no reason, I inquired about other insurance companies. Long story short, I'm saving $960 A YEAR with Geico, and with better coverage.

Go figure- but hey I deserve it for not shopping around. :bash:

By the way, NY rates suck when it comes to car insurance.

svt99rag

Established Member
I had Nationwide do the same thing. I had been with them for years, got a speeding ticket and they raised my rates to almost double. I changed to Cincinnati and its now less than what I had ever paid with Nationwide with better coverage.

scotts99snake

Established Member
I had Progressive dealing directly with the company, no agent. This was saving me a few dollars. I met this girl in the gym who was an insurance agent. She told me to bring my info over and she would see what she could do. Long story short she said if I switched to whatever company I would save about $100 a year. However, if I added renters insurance, which would cost roughly $112 a year, she could combine policies and save me almost $1000 a year!! More coverage....$1000 savings. Incredible.

Robert Francis

Established Member
I went through the same thing. Was with one company for probably 20 years and always thought I got a good rate - no accidents and no tickets - and became comfortable with them. Then the last couple of years I was with them, they raised my rates a bit with no explanation - and made me mad enough to check around. And sure enough, easily saved about $600 a year!

I came to a conclusion after this that we should "all" check around other companies rates about every 3-4 years. Don't ever get so comfortable with your insurer that you think you can't do better for yourself.

JasonSnake

Established Member
When I compare my rates with others, they are usually several hundred bucks higher than what I currently for for Allstate. I've been w/ Allstate since I started driving 12 years ago and see no reason to switch (yet).

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I learned a long time ago to talk with a broker. He was able to identify a company with the lowest rates for drivers between 25 and 35. Saved me a boatload and geico could not touch the rates I got at the time with Safeco. I need to shop it out again but food for thought.

cobrajma

heh,heh, he said "member"
Established Member
been w/ statefarm for 13yrs, every year my bills get lower and lower. i just went from an 03 coupe to a vert, and thought it would go up some being a convertible, but it actually went down $60 bucks a month!

Qwk GT

Established Member
I've had Geico for the past couple of years. I switched from Allstate to Geico originally and it was cheaper. When it came time to insure my cobra, I shopped around and it was still the cheapest.

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
After having my agent for 15 years and feeling comfortable about them, I compared rates and will be saving more than 1000 dollars a years with auto/home policies.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Yea, I am 26 paying only $400 bucks a year for full coverage on my zx6r thru state farm.... I am paying $1100 a year for my cobra thru geico... I will be getting a quote from state farm for my cobra soon.

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
i had thought about switching to geico...but state farm has always treated me right..specially when I totaled my Roush last year.

Coiled03

Established Member
I just did some checking yesterday, and it seems like I could save some money. But, since I'm getting married in October, I'll probably wait and search for the best deal when we combine insurance policys.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I have been with geico for about 7 years. They save me money but are a pain to deal with. When you take your car to a shop to get looked over the first time for full coverage.You need to make sure you take it to a place that will not write everything down. They put on my papers that i had some kinda turbo system on my white car worth over 15k. Dunno how they got that figure. Geico would not insure it because they thought the car would be used for street racing. I have no tickets or crashes.

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
I've been with state farm forever. They quoted me about $700 a year for an '03 cobra 'vert.

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
I've been with state farm forever. They quoted me about $700 a year for an '03 cobra 'vert.

$700 a year. Wow! I pay $675 for 6 months. Thats after shopping around. I am older than 25 and have a spotless record. Florida sucks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread