My Old 18 second Volvo

PKFIRE

Established Member
http://youtu.be/s_Uhh8Alang

I've been having fun trying to modify my Volvo after finding out how easy it is to turbocharge the slow tractor motor Volvo decided to put in it. After finding out how well this 250k engine is taking the abuse I keep turning up the boost and adding go fast parts to it. I'm hoping to run 13s or even 12s out of this thing,haha. Right now it runs low 14s at 16 psi of boost. I've had it to 25psi of boost on a smaller turbo than I've got in it now but it will fall to about 18psi. This new turbo will support 400 hp. The video is 12 psi on a TD04HL-15G from the junkyard.

PKFIRE

Established Member
http://youtu.be/-K22WStb7EI

Here's video of my car running a newer vette that fell asleep at the light. I was running 16psi that day with a more mild cam than I just put into it this weekend. I'll go back in a week or two to see if it will run a 13.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like you're throwing a lot of money into it. But if you're having fun pushing it to its limits, that's all that matters. Wish the second video was taken from the stands so that we could see how close the Vette was. I'll bet he was scowling at the end of that run. LOL.

PKFIRE

Established Member
Sounds like you're throwing a lot of money into it. But if you're having fun pushing it to its limits, that's all that matters. Wish the second video was taken from the stands so that we could see how close the Vette was. I'll bet he was scowling at the end of that run. LOL.
Actually my buddy took a video from his phone from the stands. I'll get it from him. Most of the setup is from the junkyard and ebay. Less than 1500 in modifications.

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
I want to see some pictures of the car and the setup already!

I've owned/raced some strange vehicles as well, so this intrigues me.

My 132 whp 95 Tercel = 13.90 @ 98 mph
391636732205_zpsbf78db43.jpg

151 whp 93 Tercel = 14.18 @ 95 mph (not me in the pic)
10150289559447206_zps0d7bc84e.jpg

1996 3800 Camaro aka Junkyard Dog. Went 13.66 stock with a 100 shot & Nitto 245/50/16 Drag Radials. Never took it back with the 4.11's and drag lite setup w/ 275/50/15 MT Drag Radials.
95E7D82F-0C84-4443-8F77-93A78653A9C8-332-0000004939EA6E70_zpsbeea331b.jpg

PKFIRE

Established Member
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=283957

Here's my car when I started adding turbo stuff to it. I have the TD04HL-20T in it now and as of this weekend I've put a higher lift and duration camshaft in with an adjustable cam gear. I'm planning on putting larger injectors in place of Pontiac gtp 36lb injectors when I can't dial in any more fuel through them.

I've had other odd ball cars through the years. It's just a fun challenge to make something different than the norm fast.

Really liking the Tercels btw.

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
After reading your thread, I'm surprised you wanted to reduce compression. Compression and boost are definitely each other's friend these days.

Ever come down to Somerset, KY for the Somernites Cruise?

I've got other goofy car builds I can pm you links of if you'd like?

PKFIRE

Established Member
After reading your thread, I'm surprised you wanted to reduce compression. Compression and boost are definitely each other's friend these days.

Yeah send me some links! I've never been down to Somerset. Reducing the compression gives me more safety factor. I usually run pump gas in it. Before I was limited to about 7-9 psi now I can run about 17-18psi on 93.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member

Compression and boost are each other's friends if you're running E85 but on pump gas that's a bad combination.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Ultimate real beater competitor. So it's easy to throw a turbo setup on any old 240?

PKFIRE

Established Member
Ultimate real beater competitor. So it's easy to throw a turbo setup on any old 240?

If you are deciding to throw a turbo setup on a NA 2.3 Volvo 240 the easiest will be 1989-1993 Volvo automatics. This is because the Turbo computers from 2.4LH 1990 Volvo 740 turbo on up with LH2.4 are direct replacements.

This is what those computers get you. They have a target AF of 11.5:1 and they can compensate upto 30% bigger injectors. In my case I got GTP EV1 high imp injectors 36lb. stock are about 30lb.

Another kewl thing is the fuel rail accepts a fuel pressure regulator off a GN or GMC syclone. I have mine now running 55lbs instead of 2.5 bar. You need to at least get a 3 bar fuel pressure regulator off a turbo Volvo.

Now for the turbo stuff.

You take a Turbo manifold 90+ off of A B230FT Volvo (740, 940) These flow the best. The outlet is restricted, grind the opening. Find a 1995 850T 15G or better(newer Volvo Turbo) Stay away from S60R Turbocharger unless your willing to do the extra work. Grab all the hoses off a 740 Turbo and intercooler or I did a ebay setup with a 2.75 intercooler plumbing kit. You may need to grab a couple of reducers here and there to make it work.
The fwd turbos need to be re-clocked and the wastegate need to be remounted. The stock TD04-13C that they used were very small turbos and waste of time.

For the Block you need to get a drain hole. I tapped and installed a 5/8" diameter barb with 3/4 npt male end. You can also put the drain in the drain pan. I T'd off of the oil pressure sensor.

It's not a bad build and I'm willing to walk anyone through it. I would like to build another but I think next time I'll just drop LS swap into one.

Added info

1990 up blocks have 13mm rods in place of 9mm. These hold 300-320 whp. Also 1993 Volvos have oil squirters.

I think I could go on about this but here's good starting point. I had the car so this is why I did what I did. If your planning on saving a headache and like to build a RWD turbo Volvo just grab a 740 Turbo.

Last edited:

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
All these junk cars and you could have just bought a fox body and been running 10's by now....don't get me wrong, I love to polish a turd, but this is pretty ridiculous

PKFIRE

Established Member
All these junk cars and you could have just bought a fox body and been running 10's by now....don't get me wrong, I love to polish a turd, but this is pretty ridiculous

Haha, yeah. I guess I could of built an S10 or put 340 in the garage into an old Mopar muscle car. This is just a fun learning experience. I'll build something different next. When I have time I'm going to help a buddy build a 4.6 Dohc Crown Vic that he's thinking about Turbocharging. I think that would be a fun build also.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member

Then you'd be just like everybody else with a foxbody. Boring. Doing something that not many people do is more fun.

Prototype007

Established Member
Compression and boost are each other's friends if you're running E85 but on pump gas that's a bad combination.

There is plenty of stock engines surviving on 10:1 static compression and 93 octane, without E85 or meth. It's all in the tuning.

Then you'd be just like everybody else with a foxbody. Boring. Doing something that not many people do is more fun.

Very much agreed.

Last I checked most Foxbody cars fall into the "junk car" category by today's standards. They've only been out of production now for 22 years.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
That's awesome! My Dad and I just finished a 1982 turbo project. Pulled the motor and trans, full rebuild, 90+ manifold, IPD turbo cam, R intercooler, R brakes, R wheels, full IPD suspension. This car isn't the fastest thing in the world but it's a lot of fun. Amazing how it just sticks to the road.

IMG_4179_zpsbr4ehrx6.jpg

IMG_4181_zps4xxwoxrc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread