My New Ride: 2013 Shelby GT500 (Pics & Review)

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I think you may be in the minority in stating that the CTS-V is "bland". Most people think the car is very edgy and aggressive looking (I have heard many say that it has attributes like a fighter jet with the angles and hard lines).

Must not be too small of a minority because I think the caddy looks like a rolling turd that some kid drew out of crayons. What did they use during the design concept phase, Legos? :burn:

mike69440

Established Member
EDIT:
I also sat in a 2012 ZL1 Camaro, but couldn't get over the awkward driving position, poor outward visibility, and [arguably] ugly interior and ergonomics of the car. I didn't bother test driving the Camaro for these reasons (and because I had already driven the CTS-V with the same basic powertrain and suspension setup). It's funny how some magazine editors say the ZL1 would make a better daily driver because of the comfy suspension, but they seem to overlook the glaring issues I pointed out.

Ford fan chiming in. Very fair overview in all.

What really pisses me off about GM cars, whether it be a slowpoke SUV like the Equinox my wife drives or the ZL1 is that they GM products are basically pretty darn good vehicles, except that GM totally misses the boat in areas such as excess weight, very poor utilization of interior space, crappy trunk, comfortable seats, and most importantly, poor visibility in a large number of their vehicles.

If The Camaro was a total piece of crap, I could just write it off, but it has some really strong points, a good value, and even the 6.2L is a good engine. I hate the car as it is not livable, regardless of fine ride and handling.

GM quality has increased more than Ford, simply because Ford was way ahead of GM to start with. Unfortunately Japan is slipping, still better by a little bit than American overall, but some of the late 90's and early 2000's were their quality benchmarks.
Lets hope the next Mustang keeps what's right with he current GT500 and offers improved handling, braking and efficiency, and that the GT500 is an icon of our era, not the high water mark of the Mustang.

PS the CTS-V wagon gives me a boner.

Last edited:

phil123

Established Member
Great Review thanks much. I disagree with the comments on tram-lining have not experienced anything like that. I feel the car is a great daily driver especially when the GY's are replaced with Mich Pilot SS's. The GY's are way to squirly when cold for my taste.

Can you explain the lifetime engine warranty? Even with an extended warranty the max is 7yr/125K. Is this something the dealer offers?

SVTKen

Established Member
license plate drilled in??! AW MAN!

No, I have a no-drill front bracket. MD requires a front license plate, but I didn't want to put holes in the bumper so I got the special no-drill bracket.

The Shelby is amazing. I'll post more driving impressions after I get more seat time and experience with the car.

SVTKen

Established Member
Nice and detailed write-up. You really did your homework. I "daily" drive 2009 SRT Charger, which is known to be firmer than 300 and I have to disagree with you vs. GT500. SRT suspension is more compliant in ALL aspects of road imperfections and handles it better due to IRS vs. LA. My GT500 tramlines like mad and sometimes if I weren't paying full attention it would lead me halfway into another lane. The roads around here aren't perfect but not terrible either. Right now due to cold, it's not fair due to stock GT500 tires and their known cold issues. I got my car back in June and had plenty of warmer seat time. I do think the GT500 is exciting to drive, see my letter in MotorTrend January (thread here someplace) for details. Personally I wouldn't drive it every day.

There may be a little more bounce (vertical motion) to the GT500 over the bumpy rail road tracks on my way to work, but the SRT crashed over the same bumps and the GT500 feels more solid over them, at least when going straight over them, which is exactly what I do every day for the past 7 years. I've driven over these same bumps thousands of times in my SRT8 and the GT500 definitely takes them better.

For the surfaces I drive on, the GT500 touring suspension setting is fine, and if you are comfortable with the SRT suspension, you will also be comfortable with the GT500 ride quality. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised by the ride quality of the Shelby.

Last edited:

SVTKen

Established Member
Great Review thanks much. I disagree with the comments on tram-lining have not experienced anything like that. I feel the car is a great daily driver especially when the GY's are replaced with Mich Pilot SS's. The GY's are way to squirly when cold for my taste.

Can you explain the lifetime engine warranty? Even with an extended warranty the max is 7yr/125K. Is this something the dealer offers?

The lifetime engine warranty is a perk that Apple Ford (of Columbia, MD) offers on all of their new vehicles. For every car, truck, and SUV purchased from Apple Ford, they provide free lifetime oil changes, tire rotations, and inspections. If you follow their factory recommended oil change intervals AND they do all of the oil changes for you (free!) then you have a lifetime engine warranty. It costs nothing extra and is part of their "customer for life" package they give everyone, at no extra charge. The "customer for life" package also includes car washes (which I will definitely pass on) and free shuttle service (for maintenance that can be done in less than a day) and free loaner car (for repairs that take more than a day). The shuttle and loaner car are only available during the warranty period, or if you get the extended warranty, the services are extended along with warranty.

For those that asked, I did not pay an ADM, although they wanted one on my first visit early in the summer. They sold it to me at MSRP. Overall, I was happy with the buying experience, but was disappointed that they tried to charge me a $10K ADM in the summer.

SVTKen

Established Member
Shameless request, I have the same color combo on order. I would like to see if you can get me a good hi rez pic of the engine bay, for my desktop =) I have a 9 month wait ahead of me. I'm a priority 14 (on purpose).

Great review, thanks for sharing =)

John

I've been meaning to do that, but it seems I am always in a big hurry recently. I'll try to take a few photos of the engine and interior today.

Kapy

Established Member
Has anyone ever been pulled over for not having a license plate in front?

I have been driving mine in a state that requires front license plates and have not been pulled over yet.

P.S. driven by plenty of officers too.

Last edited:

phil123

Established Member
The lifetime engine warranty is a perk that Apple Ford (of Columbia, MD) offers on all of their new vehicles. For every car, truck, and SUV purchased from Apple Ford, they provide free lifetime oil changes, tire rotations, and inspections. If you follow their factory recommended oil change intervals AND they do all of the oil changes for you (free!) then you have a lifetime engine warranty. It costs nothing extra and is part of their "customer for life" package they give everyone, at no extra charge. The "customer for life" package also includes car washes (which I will definitely pass on) and free shuttle service (for maintenance that can be done in less than a day) and free loaner car (for repairs that take more than a day). The shuttle and loaner car are only available during the warranty period, or if you get the extended warranty, the services are extended along with warranty.

For those that asked, I did not pay an ADM, although they wanted one on my first visit early in the summer. They sold it to me at MSRP. Overall, I was happy with the buying experience, but was disappointed that they tried to charge me a $10K ADM in the summer.

Sounds like quite a deal. Give some serious thought to putting the Mich on and you will be even happier. It really is a night and day difference.

phil123

Established Member
Has anyone ever been pulled over for not having a license plate in front?

I have been driving mine in a state that requires front license plates and have not been pulled over yet.

P.S. driven by plenty of officers too.

I live in California where front is required and had the car since late June, It is a DD and have had no problems. I keep Craig's frame with the plate attached in the trunk so I can give some story about a nut falling off if pulled over. Might not work but cheap insurance and will need it anyway if I get a fix it ticket.

Kapy

Established Member
Hey Phil great idea!

I will frame my extra plate as well and throw in the trunk as well.

Thanks,

brianz426

Established Member
Nice review Ken, thanks for taking the time. We'll have to get togther for some photos when my '14 comes in. It would be cool to see my white stripe car side by side with your black stripe car.

SVTKen

Established Member
Nice review Ken, thanks for taking the time. We'll have to get togther for some photos when my '14 comes in. It would be cool to see my white stripe car side by side with your black stripe car.

That sounds great! It would be cool if there was a car show nearby. There used to be a show & shine nearby every Sunday morning people refer to as the "Holy Donut" where about 75 cars would show up. I'm not sure if they're still doing it.

I also love to go to the drag strip and I'm not too far from the 75-80 Dragway in Monrovia, MD and Capital Raceway in Odenton, MD. Cecil County Dragway is further away, but I go there sometimes too.

Here are a few more photos I took today, including some of the interior and some engine shots too:

42626d1357521003-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4912.jpg

42627d1357521024-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4914.jpg

42628d1357521044-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4916.jpg

42629d1357521055-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4917.jpg

42630d1357521078-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4918.jpg

42631d1357521265-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4933.jpg

42632d1357521287-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4935.jpg

42633d1357521360-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4922.jpg

42634d1357521371-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4925.jpg

42635d1357521385-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4927.jpg

42636d1357521502-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4936.jpg

42637d1357521517-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4939.jpg

42638d1357521528-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4940.jpg

42639d1357521540-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4941.jpg

42640d1357521553-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4949.jpg

42641d1357521632-more-pics-my-2013-shelby-including-engine-img_4950.jpg

Last edited:

RedfireWhipple

Established Member
Well there ya go ! Then that is a FANTASTIC deal and you should be ultra psyched. Because any way you cut it -- it is costing that dealership a good bit of money to provide free synthetic oil changes with filters, and they are paying "someone" to underwrite the lifetime engine warranty. That is a huge score for you paying MSRP on the car at this time. Congrats!!!

NYStockboy

Established Member
Ken, What is your experience with the stock Goodyears in the cold and dry weather? Maryland has similar weather to NYC and its suburbs. From some of the reports I've read, just taking it easy, not getting on it at all, the car is all over the road with the Goodyears. Can you merge onto a highway using power carefully on dry roads, without the back end coming out on you?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread