My New Ride: 2013 Shelby GT500 (Pics & Review)

SVTKen

Established Member
EDIT: Please note that I wrote this up for another forum as well, and made some comparisons to my current car, a Chrysler 300C SRT8. I posted the exact same review here, and you guys are probably already familiar with a lot of what I had to say.

As some of you may already know, I've been researching and test driving cars since last summer. I went on lots of test drives and went to Carmax and several other dealers over the past 8 months. I drove an AMG C63, three Cadillac CTS-Vs (one manual, two automatics), four Mustangs (2012 Boss 302, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2013 Roush RS3, and recently a 2013 Shelby GT500), and a 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (392).

I also sat in a 2012 ZL1 Camaro, but couldn't get over the awkward driving position, poor outward visibility, and [arguably] ugly interior and ergonomics of the car. I didn't bother test driving the Camaro for these reasons (and because I had already driven the CTS-V with the same basic powertrain and suspension setup). It's funny how some magazine editors say the ZL1 would make a better daily driver because of the comfy suspension, but they seem to overlook the glaring issues I pointed out. In addition, some reviewers complained about the ride quality of the Shelby, but I found it perfectly acceptable for daily use when in the touring mode. I'm not going to argue that the Shelby had a more cushy ride than the CTS-V, because it didn't, but it was very good for daily use even on less than perfect roads, over expansion joints, and going across old, bumpy railroad tracks. I actually think my wife will be perfectly happy with the ride quality of the Shelby, and that's saying something.

I finally had an opportunity to test drive the new Challenger 392 and loved it. I believe the power of the Challenger 392 was underrated (at 470 hp) by Chrysler and the torque of that car really gets it moving fast in a hurry. It's not as fast as the Shelby, but it's plenty fast and faster than you would expect based on the "numbers". Although I prefer the exterior styling of the Challenger (over all of the cars!), ultimately I decided that I wanted something smaller. As great as the AMG Mercedes was, I really wanted to go back to driving a car with a manual transmission again (not seeking wife approval this time), so I ruled out the Benz even though I've been dreaming about getting one for a very long time. I couldn't get over the exterior styling of the CTS-V. It's an attractive car, but kind of bland. Most people don't know about the CTS-V, and it's not very exciting looking. My brother commented that it looked like something our grandfather would have liked. When I showed a picture of one to my wife, she wasn't impressed with the looks either. The Boss 302 was great (HUGE surprise to me!), but the lack of NAV and leather seats was a real turn off for a car that I'm going to drive every day. I didn't like the Roush RS3 (for lots of reasons) and the 2012 Shelby was nice (and cheaper than the 2013 model), but I couldn't pass up all the upgrades of the newer model. I finally decided on a radical change, and purchased a new 2013 Shelby GT500 after test driving one on Monday. I couldn't be more pleased!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Shelby, it's got 662 hp and 631 lb-ft of torque right off the showroom floor. With practice, some owners have already run very low 11 second ETs at close to 128 mph trap speed, completely stock right down to the tires. The changes from the 2012 model are extensive and well worth the extra money, especially for those that want a full warranty and don't want to do lots of aftermarket modifications in search of more power. The local dealership where I purchased my car provides free oil changes (full synthetic for my car) for life and as long as I bring it to them on the regularly scheduled intervals, the engine has a lifetime warranty! They don't charge anything extra for the lifetime oil changes, inspections, and several other perks.

After all the test drives, I felt the Shelby was the most fun of all the cars. I am really loving the smaller size and all the power and it feels very well balanced. I haven't put too many miles on it yet, but I've driven it to work and have taken it out for long lunch breaks and quick late night runs every day this week. It will be my daily driver and I am very impressed with it. The most surprising aspect of the car is how great a daily driver it is. The touring mode setting on the suspension feels a bit softer than my SRT8, and the Shelby is very comfortable over the bumps. The Shelby actually feels softer and more compliant when I go over rail road tracks (two sets on my way to and from work) and it feels like it absorbs them better with less harshness, so if you are comfortable with the SRT8s ride quality, you would definitely be comfortable with the Shelby ride. The sport suspension setting on the Shelby is at least as firm as the SRT8 suspension feel.

The Shelby's engine is nice and quiet at highway speeds and I can cruise along at 80 mph at about 1500 RPM, so highway fuel effeciency is decent (EPA rating is 24 mpg highway). The engine idles very smoothly and the car has a refined feeling that is very surprising when just loafing around in it, especially when you consider the performance and power. I like to think of it as a refined beast The one thing I do notice with the Shelby is that there is more wind noise (than in my SRT8), but I really notice it mainly when I'm going over 80 mph. The Shelby does not have a door frame for the windows to go into, so there is less road noise isolation because of that. The shifter is very nice and precise and has an excellent feel with short throws. I really like the cue-ball handle because it's nice and simple and fits my hand perfectly. The clutch let up took a little bit of getting used to, but it's easy to press and has a predictable engagement point, which initially seemed to feel higher than it does now (after a few days behind the wheel). The Recaro seats are extremely comfortable, well bolstered, and supportive (but not heated). My wife and kids will miss the butt warmers. The seats have alcantara bolsters on the sides. I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs, and they are a perfect fit for me. The steering wheel has a nice feel to it also, with most of the areas you touch covered in the same alcantara material as the seat bolsters.

The Shelby steering feel is also outstanding. I beleive the steering feel can be adjusted, but I really haven't experimented much with the different settings. The Shelby also has Track Apps (similar to the SRT performance pages), but I haven't used them yet. I like the way I can customize the gauge colors and the Ford Sync is another very convenient feature. The NAV screen is large and the menus are very intuitive. I haven't read any of the manuals yet and already have nearly everything set up. The Shaker Pro audio system is good, but I like the SRT sound system better. The audio system is something Ford needs to improve.

I've only used full throttle several times, but I can tell you first hand that the acceleration is astounding. Actually, the acceleration is a bit scary, even for me! The streets have been cool, even in the afternoon sun, and the tires require some heating up before you can do much, but I've done a few quick runs to the top of second gear and the pull from 4500 to 7000 RPM left me with a giant grin. I haven't used the launch control feature yet, but I plan to use it as soon as I've put some break-in miles on it. I actually haven't even watched television since I bought the car. I'm either out driving it or toying with and configuring all the electronic gadgets it came with. The Ford SYNC is very cool.

My review wouldn't be complete without talking about the exhaust sound. Start the Shelby up and it barks at you like an angry pitbull and then quickly settles into a mellow idle. If anyone is standing nearby, they will hear it fire up. Push it into gear, slip the clutch, and roll onto the throttle and the Shelby has an exhaust sound that I believe would be hard to improve with anything the aftermarket has to offer, IMO. The C63 didn't bark like the Shelby and had a more mellow sound when I started it up, but it also sounded amazing at higher RPMs (wow!). The Boss 302 and Challenger sounded great as well, but I did not like the sound of the stock exhaust on the CTS-V or Roush RS3. The CTS-V was just too mellow and quiet at full throttle, and this was a surprise. I could hear more supercharger whine than engine sound inside the CTS-V, but perhaps it sounds different from the outside. The Roush RS3 was just too loud and had too much drone, and these were not problems with any of the other cars I drove.

I haven't had time to take many pictures, but I did stop on my way in to work this morning and snapped a few near a construction site. The pictures do not do justice for the Deep Impact Blue color. The car looks much better in person, and so do the wheels. The paint glows in the bright sunlight and has a darker hue when the sky is cloudy. It looked amazing under the lights at the gas station where there were multiple light sources. It's kind of like a blue version of the Inferno Red color of my SRT8. I'll post some more pictures after I get a chance to clean her up real good.

42592d1357279744-my-new-ride-2013-shelby-gt500-pics-review-img_4895.jpg

42595d1357279937-my-new-ride-2013-shelby-gt500-pics-review-img_4911.jpg

42590d1357279718-my-new-ride-2013-shelby-gt500-pics-review-img_4897.jpg

42591d1357279733-my-new-ride-2013-shelby-gt500-pics-review-img_4886.jpg

42594d1357279794-my-new-ride-2013-shelby-gt500-pics-review-img_4906.jpg

42593d1357279770-my-new-ride-2013-shelby-gt500-pics-review-img_4901.jpg

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I admit to not spending much time on your writeup, Ken, but the car looks great. Nice color combo. Congratulations!

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
Congrats. Plus you got the best color combo out there. If I had the money that's the exact car I would have ordered.

sent from my Samsung GS3

NewYorkJon34

Established Member
That was a really good read, like you I test drove the Cts-V & Roush stg3 & my thoughts on the exhaust notes are the same.

JakeSpoon3

Established Member
Congratulations on the purchase! The review provided a lot of real-world appeal. I also noted the difference in the clutch during my initial drive home in comparison with the feel a few days later. Maybe I just became more comfortable with the release point, but it really felt like the clutch loosened up and the release slightly lowered after a few days of driving.

NY Eleanor

Established Member
Nice and detailed write-up. You really did your homework. I "daily" drive 2009 SRT Charger, which is known to be firmer than 300 and I have to disagree with you vs. GT500. SRT suspension is more compliant in ALL aspects of road imperfections and handles it better due to IRS vs. LA. My GT500 tramlines like mad and sometimes if I weren't paying full attention it would lead me halfway into another lane. The roads around here aren't perfect but not terrible either. Right now due to cold, it's not fair due to stock GT500 tires and their known cold issues. I got my car back in June and had plenty of warmer seat time. I do think the GT500 is exciting to drive, see my letter in MotorTrend January (thread here someplace) for details. Personally I wouldn't drive it every day.

lethal

Established Member
I haven't had time to take many pictures, but I did stop on my way in to work this morning and snapped a few near a construction site. The pictures do not do justice for the Deep Impact Blue color. The car looks much better in person, and so do the wheels. The paint glows in the bright sunlight and has a darker hue when the sky is cloudy. It looked amazing under the lights at the gas station where there were multiple light sources. It's kind of like a blue version of the Inferno Red color of my SRT8. I'll post some more pictures after I get a chance to clean her up real good.

Shameless request, I have the same color combo on order. I would like to see if you can get me a good hi rez pic of the engine bay, for my desktop =) I have a 9 month wait ahead of me. I'm a priority 14 (on purpose).

Great review, thanks for sharing =)

John

RedfireWhipple

Established Member
First off Congratulations on your car. It is beautiful and is the same color combo I would get - although I actually like the regular wheels better (have been there and done that with black and dark grey wheels-- unless they are SOAKED with tire dressing - they will get brown and dull and make the car look like it just drove down a dirt road for 30 miles- just my .02 lol).

I would say that your write up is very good but I would interject some things to some points you mentioned. I think you may be in the minority in stating that the CTS-V is "bland". Most people think the car is very edgy and aggressive looking (I have heard many say that it has attributes like a fighter jet with the angles and hard lines).

As far as Dodge products -- I may get flamed for this but here is what I have come to "learn" about Dodge products... From the time of Dodge's creation-- the company has it's place.. It is comfortable in this place and has always lived in this place -- that place is the lowest cost vehicle in a given space.. Some say it's Bang for the Buck. Dodge has always (with every single vehicle except the Viper- ever) been a compromise scenario. For any of you that have been around for a while and are educated in muscle cars -- The Mopar family of muscle cars was massive-- Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth had tons of options for engines, trannys etc. BUT -- here's my point -- they were ALWAYS the cheapest and damn near NEVER had Air conditioning, power anything, zero creature comforts etc. Again-- the product has always been the cheapest / most stripped down product available while still providing a decent/strong drive train.. This mean the thinnest paint, the cheapest interiors etc. And in today's' Dodge products, it is much of the same. Wafer thin plastic everywhere, ultra thin paint, cheap materials everywhere with exception of drive train.. But this is Dodges place -- they know this, it's business and this is a place that they have done well in. I guess you can look at it like this -- in nearly every piece and process that goes into building a car there are multiple levels of quality that can either be decided to be used or not. In Dodge's case it just seems that in most scenarios - in most of the pieces and parts and processes used - the cheapest is chosen. It's this "choice" and this "motto" that I refuse to spend my money on. The whole -- "this is good enough" just isn't me. It's one thing if the prices were massively lower than the competition - but they are not in my opinion that much cheaper in cost that justifies so many compromises. Just my LONG .02 .

The last thing I noticed was that you state that you are getting free oil changes with synthetic for the lifetime of the car and also a lifetime engine warranty. Well, that is definitely awesome and is almost unheard of -- UNLESS - and most likely- you have PAID one way or another (either in the price of the car you paid-maybe ADM? or in some "extended warranty plan"). I'd be amazed if that wasn't the case -- if it is -- then that is awesome.

Enjoy your car man-- I'm jealous!

Users who are viewing this thread