My luck may have run out

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Since I got my Focus Titanium in 2014, I have heard many folks talk about the transmission problems. I had nto had any, no stuttering, no trouble at all. Well, I hit 80K miles the other day and now the CEL is on, and it seems to have a big stumble and hard shift into third. Looks like my luck ran out.

It'll run fine for a little while, the CEl even goes out. Then ... big stumble, and it's back on again. Getting into the test mode, it shows "zero DTC's." Engine runs fine.

So now I'll get to see how Ford deals with it.

Awtblo

03 OW Cobra
Established Member
Ford Tech here, If I remember remember correctly the extended policy is 14M01 for clutch shudder, the TCM is also covered under a separate policy, 14M02

14M01 is 10/100, 14M02 is 10/150.

TCM would be replaced under 14M02, and it's DTC's wouldn't show up with a run of the mill scanner. They tend to cause a no start.

14M01 could also come into play here, policy is to inspect and log slippage, if it's within limits an adaptive relearn is done, out of limits a relearn and recheck slip, if it's out of limit clutch is replaced free of charge to you.

If there's trans fluid coming from between the bellhousing and engine they'll pull it, replace the input shaft seals and clean the clutch IF it was within limits for slip.

You should be ok, good luck. Those dps6 transmissions are garbage.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
We dont clean clutches anymore. They pulled that from the wsm, its all replacement first time around.
Doesnt really sound like clutch with a cel on, although the clutch would be responsible for any nvh while shifting.
Any other gears, or just 3rd?

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My dealer listened to my story and scheduled my wife's car for service with no questions asked. She has put about 12,000 miles on it since the new clutches and new programming, I believe the latest series of clutch might have solved the issue.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You'll need a TCM replaced. It's not too terrible. Replace module - relearn - test drive. Boom come pick er up!

-Ex Ford Service Advisor/Tech/Parts person

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
We dont clean clutches anymore. They pulled that from the wsm, its all replacement first time around.
Doesnt really sound like clutch with a cel on, although the clutch would be responsible for any nvh while shifting.
Any other gears, or just 3rd?
It appears to affect 1st, 3rd and 5th. At a stop, put it in drive, release the brake and the car does not creep forward, just sits there. On the little incline of my driveway, it actually rolled backwards a bit. Increase the revs, and it begins to move forward, after some shuddering.

Going to the dealership, I noticed when it shifts into 3rd and 5th, the rpms jump up a couple of thousand, then a hard shift into gear.

Other than that, runs great; whatever it is, it is not affecting the engine.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It appears to affect 1st, 3rd and 5th. At a stop, put it in drive, release the brake and the car does not creep forward, just sits there. On the little incline of my driveway, it actually rolled backwards a bit. Increase the revs, and it begins to move forward, after some shuddering.

Going to the dealership, I noticed when it shifts into 3rd and 5th, the rpms jump up a couple of thousand, then a hard shift into gear.

Other than that, runs great; whatever it is, it is not affecting the engine.

IIRC 1st, 3rd, and 5th are actually separate from 2nd, 4th, and 6th. So it makes sense that you would have problems with the odd gears and not the even.

1wild-horse

Established Member
IIRC 1st, 3rd, and 5th are actually separate from 2nd, 4th, and 6th. So it makes sense that you would have problems with the odd gears and not the even.

That's exactly right. 2 input shafts, two different clutches run the two different gear trains. There is also an electric shift motor for both and a clutch actuator. The actuator is purely mechanical.

Curious what the code is.

Intervention302

Established Member
My Fiance had her clutch replaced under warranty.

14 Focus. Drives much better with significantly less shuddering!

Was told its a "dryer" twin disk setup

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Awtblo, 1wild-horse & IronSnake, thanks for the info, guys, this is great stuff. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

1wild-horse

Established Member
DP(O)S6. But it's made me some nickels so it's hard to hate it:)
The latest part # clutch seems to be holding up better, but there are some 15MY cars with older clutches in them. It's kind of a crap shoot really. I just did a 13 Focus last week with 90k on the clock, original clutch and original first run input shaft seals, and the seals were not leaking! Surprising because the failure rate of the old seals is super high.

James just make sure they re flash BOTH processors if they replace the clutch. The new clutch has a specific calibration it has to be used with. In fact, you cannot use the new calibration with the old part #.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Awtblo, 1wild-horse & IronSnake, thanks for the info, guys, this is great stuff. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!
another small piece of advice. take VERY good care of that car. trade-ins and resale are in the toilet and will likely stay there. they are fun cars, I loved mine (2012) but decided to trade it in before the problems developed. Did not have time to do a private sale, and the dealer matched carmax's offer. plan to drive that till the wheels fall off to have any hope of getting your money's worth

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
another small piece of advice. take VERY good care of that car. trade-ins and resale are in the toilet and will likely stay there. they are fun cars, I loved mine (2012) but decided to trade it in before the problems developed. Did not have time to do a private sale, and the dealer matched carmax's offer. plan to drive that till the wheels fall off to have any hope of getting your money's worth
No problem there. I keep vehicles until they rust out or the wheels fall off. One way or another I always manage 250K out of them. Previoulsy I had always done my own work on them. This time, I got the extended warranty, and it has turned out to be money well spent.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
It's a shame the focus gets hit hard from the auto trans issues. Otherwise they are pretty good little cars. If you happen to buy a manual one they are pretty much bullet proof so long as you don't over abuse it.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Just got it back. According to the report, the code was P2831. They also mention PPTF2. Says first they cleared the codes and put it in learn mode, test drove it, and P2831 came right back. Then it says they replaced the TCM under 14MO2. They say it will be in learn mode for approximately 1,000 miles.

Drives as good as new. Better, it seems like the shifts are quicker, but that might be my imagination and wishful thinking.

Like I said earlier, thanks to all who responded, but especially to the techs who told me what to look out for. You guys are the best, and if we ever meet, I owe you guys a beer!

Rambro

Established Member
I've had nothing but issues with the DCT in my 14 focus. Now it has the updated clutches in it. All was well for about 3k miles now the shudder is back. Whole car has been nothing but garbage. Strong antifreeze smell after driving, oil change and brake bulb fault keeps randomly popping up on the display screen. I'd love to ghost ride the pos into a tree, or set it on fire and watch it burn lol.

Users who are viewing this thread