My little story about my 2012 Boss 302 I bought 3 weeks ago from a dealer...

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
So I haven't been around the forums at all until I bought my 3rd "newer" Mustang about 3 weeks ago. I picked up my new to me 2012 Boss 302 with 24k miles on it. VERY nice condition for a nearly 5yr old car and I test drove the car on a cloudy, ugly, rainy day (stupid) but oh well I fell in love with the whole feel of the car and it felt RIGHT. So I bought the car that day and took it home and realized that all the tint on the windows was totally screwed up. Even with my eyes up against the back window I couldn't see through it...Again, I drove the car on a crappy day so I thought maybe it was fog on the back window. Not a big deal, the tint was totally screwed on all the windows so I fixed all that and stripped off all the double layered ghetto tint and got a whole new nice tint job with top quality 3M stuff. So at the dealer I also looked closely over the mechanical parts of the car to look for signs of mods. I found the Kooks axle backs, the Kooks side pipes and what I thought was the stock H - Pipe...Sales person told me yea it had to have "new cats" put on. OK sounds cool no biggy. 2 days later I jack the car up to find cat delete pipes and the H-Pipe has what looks like resonators or cats of some sort but not the factory ones that come down off the stock exhaust manifolds. Where the cat deletes connect to the H - Pipe the clamps were a bit loose (thus causing some noises I was hearing). I tighten those, and had other noises coming from the Kooks side pipes and tightened the outer parts where they exit on both sides. I believe I sorted out all the little kinks and bugs that the previous owner left with the car and the dealer was too damn lazy, cheap and full of absolute garbage to fix correctly. Oh, lets not forget there was no lug key for the wacko lugs on this car which was another nice surprise so I had to search a LOT and finally found a little sticker in the car that had the reg key for Gorilla where you call in and wait 7-10 days for your new replacement lug key. Lug key came in, THANK GOODNESS it was correct for the lugs that were on the factory black spoke 19's. Don't know why the factory wheels would have aftermarket lugs unless someone just wanted 20 silly shaped 8 splined lugs I guess...Anyways I got that sorted out too.

Fast forward to last week I feel mostly happy with the car so I say lets move forward with it. I went ahead and ordered my "starter pack" of required mods that I've run on all of my newer Mustangs. I got the Corsa Xtreme Axle Backs, Pypes after cat X pipe, Steeda CAI, XF4 tuner and Gunmetal Forgestar CF5's in 19x9.5 and 19x11 with normal black splined tuner lugs. I'm just waiting for my NT555 G2's to arrive tomorrow to replace the stock size 285's out back with some new G2 305/35/19 meats on the 11" wide rears. (oh P.S. I also only got the Red key with the car, no other key included)(also I seriously dislike the Kooks side pipes, too drony and echoey for me and too much of a Police magnet for my red car)

So here's the evolution of my Boss so far, as of today after owning it for 3 weeks, and coming this Saturday morning the Steeda CAI will go on, along with the X pipe and it will be tuned by Sai Li also on Sat morning.

Here she is.....Can anyone tell me how the heck the tail of the pony on the grille gets taken out also? Baffling lmao...Another thing I have to replace but I'm rollin with the punches...

After I bought her and got all the tint stripped and professionally redone...
IMG_4623.JPG

New wheels going on the other night...
IMG_4641 2.JPG

Corsa Xtremes on the other night...
IMG_4645.JPG

How she sits as of 2 days ago on the new rims...
IMG_4647.JPG

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice looking BOSS.
Congrats and enjoy.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks good with the wheels. It sucks you had to deal with all the stupid aftermarket stuff the dealer didn't fix

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Looks good with the wheels. It sucks you had to deal with all the stupid aftermarket stuff the dealer didn't fix

Thanks! And yea figured I'd tell my story so others buying a used Boss look out for these little annoyances...I really focused hard on the mechanical parts, shifting, oil/oil level, listened closely to the engine after test driving it hard, engine temp, etc and definitely overlooked these little things. Overall I love the car, especially how I have it now with tint and minor things sorted out. I LOVE the Recaro seats too and the overall handling/braking power of the car.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Sounds like what I went through when I got mine... a minor rescue. Good job.

If you ever decide to go back to factory side pipes and sell the Kooks, let me know.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Sounds like what I went through when I got mine... a minor rescue. Good job.

If you ever decide to go back to factory side pipes and sell the Kooks, let me know.

Thanks and I'm getting rid of side pipes all together this weekend with the install of my pypes after cat X that I'm installing between the cat deletes that were already on the car and the factory over axle pipes...So making a long story short my Kooks side pipes will be off and for sale this weekend...And looking closely at them they look like they weren't on my car very long before I bought it...Look almost new....

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Kooks side pipes off the car today...New X pipe on and Steeda CAI on the car...Tuned with Sai Li today and pulling like a freight train...Love it. Best part is the car idles quiet, runs smooth and sounds awesome WOT just like I like it.

IMG_4681.JPG

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Looking really good. Hows that Sai tune overall feel?

I've had the Steeda custom data logged tune on my '11 GT, then I went with the Sai Li tune on my '14 GT and it was very impressive. Not only did my '14 run smoother, idle nicer and have more crisp throttle tip-in, but power was better too. So that's why I went with it on this Boss without a doubt and again it feels perfect all over. Smooth idle, great crisp throttle feel, smooth mid range and ridiculous top end. Doesn't get better than this tune in my opinion...My '14 GT made 416whp on a very stingy dyno on crap 93 gas with just Steeda CAI and catless X on a very hot day. I'm thinking this Boss is going to also be very impressive on the dyno...OH and I don't get paid to say this stuff fyi I'm in the finance business haha. His tunes are just THAT good.

RobG64

Established Member
Looks great! Thinking about Forgestars for my 2012 Yellow Boss. Haven't decided between the CF 5's and 10's yet.

Glad you were able to get yours sorted the way you wanted to.

Rob

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Looks great! Thinking about Forgestars for my 2012 Yellow Boss. Haven't decided between the CF 5's and 10's yet.

Glad you were able to get yours sorted the way you wanted to.

Rob

Thanks man...Couple more items on the list and I'll be fully happy with it...Gonna add in the full 2 post barton bracket/short shifter combo, upgrade clutch lines and possibly the mcleod 800hp clutch with a few other goodies to get the feel I like out of the clutch/shifter...

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
I got the helper spring out of the clutch assembly tonight. I love the linear feel and firmness of the clutch now...Missed this feel from my '14 GT that I did the same mod on.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
More goodies showed up today...Have Steeda Boss lowering springs coming and the Steeda adjustable PH bar on its way too...

IMG_4699.JPG

Last edited:

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Put some low on the old girl tonight in the garage while this big storm blows through...Just installed the rear Steeda Boss springs and with stock front height I think it's perfect stance! Gotta put the Steeda adjustable PH bar tomorrow to get perfect axle center especially with these 11" wide rear rims. Need perfect center but drives great and feels good to me.

IMG_4704.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread