My Last Sports Car

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I'm in my mid 50s. I've had fast cars all of my life until now. Sold my '09 GT500 a couple of years ago to do some work on the house. I'm now considering buying another sports car. But at this point in my life, I'm thinking I want to get just one more sports car. One that I can baby and love and know inside and out until the end of my days. The question is what should I get.

I don't want to buy something new. A waste of money in my book. Instead, I'm thinking I want to spend no more than $50K or so.

I have thought about a Z06 or another GT500. Likewise, I've thought about getting another terminator since I'm already so familiar with the car and I can get a really nice one at a good price. I'm also considering a Viper since I never see one around here.

If it was you, what would you do? Your thoughts?

Last edited:

ssssnake

Established Member
One last sports car? If it were me, I would choose one of those you suggested, or this:

Panoz GTLM - Bing Images

I don't know if all the models do, but when I first read about them, they had the "03 Cobra engine. Happy hunting and show us a pic of what you bought. :)

Oh, and it fits my other criteria - American.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Are you considering just domestics? What about an older Porshce or 90s Ferrari or something that can easily be has for $50k but is still a blast to drive.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Wow, big decision here! Based on the accomplishment in your signature, I'm going to assume you've already done this before (and if not it may be the way to go for your final hoorah)...build one of the awesome kit cars that are available, and put in a Cobra motor since you're familiar with them!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
My favorite is still the 993 twin turbo. All wheel drive light weight sexy body lines.:bowdown:
GT500 if you want pure power.
GT350 will be significantly faster on track than the 13/14 GT500.
If you like Porsche but want something with a little more lux go with the 997 TT or 997 GT3RS.
Maybe the SL65?

The z06 is a great car but I still see it as too big and long.
The viper is uncomfortable and gets hot from what I have been told.
The 03/04 or even a 00 R would not age well on the old chasis. I would not want one with lots of miles.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If it's the last one you're ever going to own, you need to think about what you may want in the future. It may be that you start wanting comfort over out-right performance as you get older. If that may be the case I'd look at something other than most of the american variants.

I really feel like a 911 has this for you. It has prestige regardless of the model, they drive nicely, still have good power and they also have a lot of staying power. They don't get dated like many other sports cars out there.

In your range you could also look at some used Ferrari's etc. You can pick up a quality 360 for just a bit more than you're looking to spend. But with anything like that, you also need to budget the maintenance which is ungodly.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
For a last sports car i would have to go way higher in price.
Porsche 911 turbo
New Viper

50k is not enough

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
One last sports car??? I hope to just be getting started buying them when I turn 50!

Anywhoo, honestly, I'd probably go with a terminator. I don't think you will ever loose much money on one from what they are at now, plus they are great cars.

Although Vipers are a ton of fun too! Plus nothing gives you that "wow, look at that" factor rolling down the street like a Viper does.

truefiveo

Established Member
New Viper or Factory Five GTM ....all those other cars would just seem too big refined and ponyish to a driver of your caliber.

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'd buy a fully restored classic car that floats your boat because if you decide to sell it later, you most likely will get all your money back, if not make a little. For me it would be a 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1.

Users who are viewing this thread