My heart is broken....

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Ok, after a period of years i got my gorgeous hand built Pro-Line engine done and finished and tuned. 10 months of perfect use and my Aviator pump shorts, I go lean and detonate. Long story short and I think I have wrecked the rings in one of my cylinders. Gotta pay to play i suppose. Anyhow, here is my question...I simply do not have the funds to pull this engine for a rebuild right now and I refuse to go into debt over this ride. Can I baby a super-charged engine with a bad ring/cylinder and continue to use it for local daily use or am I risking catastophic failure???

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
damn man i'm so sorry. That sucks so bad.. I don't know the answer to your question though. I wouldn't risk it though.

harvboi05

Established Member
the damage done to the motor is irreversible and will only continue to get worse at most likely, an exponential rate.

i am in the same exact situation. ha.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
I would think the bad rings could possibly do a lot of damage to the cylinder walls. Not to mention you've still got the bad pump. Time to warm up the ol' Visa card.

Last edited:

RSbeast

Established Member
Compression test/leakdown it first. Post results.

If its really hurt; its going to be MUCH more expensive to fix if you drive it

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
depends how hurt the car is, first thing to figure out is how bad is the damage, is it making any bad noises, whats the compression etc.?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
My gut tells me you would be foolish to continue to use the vehicle, even in a local, around town setting.

My reasonable side tells me I'm not an engine builder and in your situation I would contact Pro-Line and discuss it with them, rather than speculate with people on-line.

Last edited:

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
I know your frustrated and torqued off right now, but I think you know the answer to the question.

Yeah, thats true. I have a beater I am using and I am currently working thru MPH(Tim/Rhonda Barth), Kurgan Motorsports and Pro-Line to get it squared away. I paid alot up front; however, it's gonna be worth it because these folks are really taking care of me. The only question that remains is do i try to limp it the 220 miles to the builder or have it shipped. It hasnt been above 2500 rpm since the detonation so any damage shouldnt be severe. the techs at Kurgans tell me that re-using my block shouldnt be a concern. I guess thats the benefit of going with true professionals, the world's priciest engine build is covered later by the world's cheapest rebuild. Boy, I sure was smart to save that 500 buck by skipping out on the wideband and using an Aviator fuel pump. $10,000 dollars engine wrecked by a 100 dollar fuel pump...f*** me huh?

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Yeah, thats true. I have a beater I am using and I am currently working thru MPH(Tim/Rhonda Barth), Kurgan Motorsports and Pro-Line to get it squared away. I paid alot up front; however, it's gonna be worth it because these folks are really taking care of me. The only question that remains is do i try to limp it the 220 miles to the builder or have it shipped. It hasnt been above 2500 rpm since the detonation so any damage shouldnt be severe. the techs at Kurgans tell me that re-using my block shouldnt be a concern. I guess thats the benefit of going with true professionals, the world's priciest engine build is covered later by the world's cheapest rebuild. Boy, I sure was smart to save that 500 buck by skipping out on the wideband and using an Aviator fuel pump. $10,000 dollars engine wrecked by a 100 dollar fuel pump...f*** me huh?

Get it sent on a flat bed there or shipped. Last thing you want is for the motor to come apart on the trip.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
i think you talked to bart yesterday.. we are thrilled you are looking to use our shop.. feel free to do as much research online as you want.. hope to hear from you soon

bob

nmcgrawj

Established Member
If u stay below 2500rpms damage isn't severe?

I would think simply turning it over by hand could cause minor damage....let alone running at 900rpms.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
If u stay below 2500rpms damage isn't severe?

I would think simply turning it over by hand could cause minor damage....let alone running at 900rpms.

Trust me, I know...it aint gonna pretty in there. When I say damage isnt too severe I mean they can hone out the block to .030 and hopefully not have to buy a new block for it. Best case scenario it will take a bore, new pistons and rings and be all set. If they block is beyond repair, I'll probably just get an MMR 600 shortblock and drop it in. I know it will add some weight; however, it's purely a street car so there are no real concerns with trap times/mph with the extra 80 pounds on the nose. Oh, and a 97 gas tank, pickup tube and a Bosch 044 inline pump. Not taking chances with another Aviator pump.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
i think you talked to bart yesterday.. we are thrilled you are looking to use our shop.. feel free to do as much research online as you want.. hope to hear from you soon

bob

Thanks Bob...I was thrilled to call your shop and be on the phone with Bart. His reputation proceeds him and talk about a modular guy that knows his shit. Nothing calms your nerves like advice from a builder like Bart Tobener.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
Thanks Bob...I was thrilled to call your shop and be on the phone with Bart. His reputation proceeds him and talk about a modular guy that knows his shit. Nothing calms your nerves like advice from a builder like Bart Tobener.

yes, bart is great at what he does... i found it humerous that you thought we were too cheap LOL.. We are racers and understand being on the customer side. If it doesnt take us as long to do something, we wont charge an arm and a leg.. We are honest guys just trying to do our best..

Im very surprised you lost a pump.. we use SVT pumps in everything and have never had an issue.. i mean, they are OEM pumps!! The thing that really concerns me is that if the aviator pump FAILED, the car would have shut off.. not burned up... NO FUEL = NO RUNNING CAR... do you think it has been an issue that has just snow balled?

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
yes, bart is great at what he does... i found it humerous that you thought we were too cheap LOL.. We are racers and understand being on the customer side. If it doesnt take us as long to do something, we wont charge an arm and a leg.. We are honest guys just trying to do our best..

Im very surprised you lost a pump.. we use SVT pumps in everything and have never had an issue.. i mean, they are OEM pumps!! The thing that really concerns me is that if the aviator pump FAILED, the car would have shut off.. not burned up... NO FUEL = NO RUNNING CAR... do you think it has been an issue that has just snow balled?

I finally got around to putting a fuel pressure gauge on it and it showed 12 psi at idle. I know at idle it should be at least 35 psi. When you blip the throttle, the pressure drops on the gauge needle instead of increasing. It will idle and support about 15% engine load and no more. Anymore than that and it starts to buck and fart and spit. Here's the strange part...it will start and idle on the stock tune; however, with the blower tune it wont even crank. Tim did the tune and it ran rock solid for 10 months, so, no problem there. The only think more depressing than a 100 dollar fuel pump killing my engine would be a 10 dollar fuel filter. I cant imagine what it could be other than fuel delivery

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread