My First Time...

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
I'D WIN said:
Every 10# of rotating mass is equal to 100# of unsprung weight.
wonder how much these mofos weigh. anyway, so I got home, swapped the fuel filter, seemed easy enough, didnt leak after and during my test drive no sputtering or anything that I noted, so thats good.

my problems came with adding my ram air to the jlp intake. first off, I swear, that hose I bought off that guy is not the right thing, unless theres some magical location this thing goes, theres no way in hell it fits where Ive seen everyone elses. with that conclusion, I just took the 3" dryer hose I bought and ran it down where I thought Id seen it run, hooked it all up, looks the same as pics ive seen, back out the driveway and it was crushed when I turned by the wheel well since I guess it pushed it into the wheel...dammit! that hose was like 10 bucks, so so far I've spent nearly 200 building my own intake and most of the stuff is useless...*&$%)*@$^&*@#(^$&* I wanted to build my own cause I cant *#$&ing afford this right now, so thats it, no more mods whatsoever for a loooong time, cant pay to play anymore. ok so no more venting, the hose got pinched along about 10 inches to a narrow oval. dont know if its still helping, but Id like to think its still flowing a lot more air than it was, in fact my test drive felt like it pulled pretty strong, so i'm going to leave it on for the time being. still probably need a screen over the scoop so I dont suck up anything bad, but anyway, I'm kinda annoyed and kinda glad I got it over with, but still feel now like I have to fix the intake again, just not fun in 106 degree heat.

FordFanStan

Established Member
problems problems problems.... very fun vehicles, but very high maintenance it seems, or wait is that just my luck? late Stan

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
I've always had the worst luck with cars, I love them, but stuff always seems to go wrong...like my first brake change on my old ranchero, was all stoked that I did for 125 what midas wanted 900 for, then on my way to school my wheel fell off going 50 and the truck was in a shop for a month and a half and I had to pay my deductible. maybe this wedding will be a good thing and itll keep me in line...I hope, so long as the truck doesnt develop any problems. sorry, guess I shouldnt complain about 10 dollar aluminum hoses when you had such a big problem yourself.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
FordFanStan said:
...I blew the third plug back on the drivers bank. Now itll be at least one week (san berdu ford has to order the head)

I blew the second one back, drivers side. I contacted Dante down in SoCal. He said he could pop an insert in the plug hole for me, no prob. So I trailered my Lightning down to him in Chula Vista and in less than an hour, my baby was purring again.

Stewart

Last edited:

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
Update!!

Ok, so good news is I didnt get kicked off the track for no helmet...bad news is, thats cause I didnt break into the 13s!! you guys were right! I think my 20s and crappy tires in addition to the humid and 90 degree heat alltogether wasnt the most condusive to drag racing. there were some fast cars there, but most of the street cars I watched were running high 14s up through 16s, few poor souls turned 19s and 20s (vw beetle...hehe) for example, an evo running "20 psi" hit a 14.4, SRT10 ram hit 14.3, etc etc. anyway, so heres my play by play and a bonus in the end...

so I got to the track, first run I was against this purple monster that ran a 12 something and was loud as hell, my first run ever was a 14.12 @ 99.87 with a crappy 2.3 60'. second run this vette wouldnt line up with me and I was caught off guard cause I didnt know theyd drop the lights on me alone, I had almost a 1 second r/t. oh well, but I did run a 14.00 @ 99.75mph with a little tire spin and a 2.2 60' (best run). my last run I was too anxious and tried brake boosting against this mustang that ran like a 14.3, I ended up peeling out through the 60' and got sideways, had to let up completely, then took back off and still mustered a 96mph trap but at 15.76...haha, I was mad, never broke 14s and never hit 100mph, but oh well, it was fun.

Now the bonus, on my way home, bearing in mind I had two male passengers with me (and a video camera, so we have video of this) we ran into an SRT10 ram and he wanted to play. my only problem was we were going from like a 75 roll and we went four times and his stick was an obvious advantage, but he jumped me twice. well, we did get one clean run off and no one pulled, then just before our last run he had his window down and I thought he was gonna be friendly and so I waved, well, the guys response to me was "launch that piece of shit!" I was kinda stunned, as no one has ever insulted me or my car like that, so I basically laughed at him and my buddy had the camera and this started our last run and we were neck and neck to about 100, he maybe pulled a foot or two, short and sweet run. so, not a kill or anything, it was a stout truck, but the driver was a chode to me and I kinda wanted to choke him. thus concludes my story of my first time.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Good that you had fun, that's what it's all about. After running that a-hole it really makes you want to get faster huh? Wait til you race a 03/04 cobra from a dig and you beat them. That is fun. Did you resolve the cut out at 100mph? Don't forget your plug change.

rphinney

Established Member
The conditions last night where not the greatest for the heat hating eatons. After you left White Whine, Mad Mike pulled a 14.2, we where pretty happy considering the temp was still 91 and the truck is all stock 2000. I got the FTVB yesterday so we will be putting that in as well as hopefully getting the other mods on by the next open track day in two weeks.

Running at the track is very eye opening, it is very easy for people to get carried away and start claiming their car can run 12's 11's whatever but really it just takes practice, I like your comment about all the street cars running 14's there was an SRT-4 that showed up and ran 14.85 with mods and an 04 Cobra that ran 14.75. Happy to see you out there Now ditch those 20's and get a dyno tune on that bitch! :rockon:

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
When i just had my CAI, the best i could do (Second time to the track) was a 13.7, and i never broke 100.. I pulled a 99.991mph. My 60's were 2.0s then.

Oh, and BTW, i ran my 6lb lower, with stock plugs, then switched to the TR6s, and i couldnt believe the difference.. gapped them to .38(i think), and it ran SOO much better.. Idle was soo smooth, and the it felt great.

rphinney

Established Member
It's also great when you are first leanring because you can get so much better without really any mods, Mad Mike started around 14.6 and finally by the last run had it to a 14.2, really often times the car has much more in it and the driver just needs to learn to get it there.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
rphinney said:
It's also great when you are first leanring because you can get so much better without really any mods, Mad Mike started around 14.6 and finally by the last run had it to a 14.2, really often times the car has much more in it and the driver just needs to learn to get it there.
thats cool he finally cut a good time, not like his other times were bad, but he was stoked when he got a 14.4, nice to see another .2 drop! good job MadMike and nice meeting both of you!

I did not have the studdering tranny problem which I think could possibly be due to my new fuel filter, so I'm glad I swapped that quick after work. Now I need to change the oil and get some good plugs and maybe a tune and just relax for a bit, but until my money situation gets straightened out I'll just have to enjoy what I have. I have no doubt with a better 60' Ida been in the 13s, but thats just one of the places I gotta learn from experience.

I saw one cobra pull a 12.65, it was mystic green or whatever that color is, it was pretty quick, I dunno if that was the same one you saw too, he musta really muffed up the other run. I talked to the guys with the yellow SRT, they didnt speak much english but I told them I had a S2 srt and blah blah blah and they insisted theirs was stock, I kinda stepped back and asked why, then, they had an intercooler sprayer and he just kinda looked at me and said "its not hooked up." I dont know why they were trying to hide stuff, but when he started it up I knew it wasn't stock, I could hear the turbo from pretty far away, but yeah, he still cut that high 14, wish I knew what my SRT woulda run. oh well, so now at least I have a base to work with and have a lot of improvement to look forward to! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread