My First Time...

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
well, time is approaching, my first time in fact, to go to a track. I have never in my life been to any type of track, so this will be my first experience and my first time officially drag racing. Its a test n tune event at famoso in bakersfield, which is about a two hour drive for me. Two or three of my buddies are coming with me, one may bring his mustang cause he claims he wants to run it (V6...dont ask).

I'm kinda nervous but very excited, hope to not be too disappointed, although I'm not anticipating the best runs ever. Who wants to make predictions of my runs? Ive seen many threads like this before, but I'm gonna test your predictions tomorrow night! Heres the skinny for those of yall who werent tuned in during my world famous purchase.

03 L, JLP mail order "custom" predator tune, jlp 6# lower, and a newly added jlp non-ram air intake. I was planning on hooking up the ram air hose but haven't been able to find a 3" hose, amazingly, so it may have to wait. Other than this, its got good ol chrome 20" rims and cheap 295/50/R20 rubber.

I've said before the fuel filter and plugs are stock, first and only time I went around 100mph it kinda went nuts and started up and down shifting, so hopefully that doesnt happen at the end of the track, but we'll see. what do yall think? my buddy is gonna bring his camera and we'll get video, but I doubt we'll be able to get it online cause itll probably be too big...ok, predictions?! I'm hoping to at least get in the 13s and get kicked off for no helmet...

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
In this heat, 13.1s, since your rolling on 20s, its your first time, and its soo damn hot.. The times in my sig, i ran with a K&N FIPK, 6lb lower, shitty tune, TR6s, FTVB w/4x4 Pan, on stock F1s, w/ 1.9 60' time. Im not the best driver by any means either.

I dont think you will be disspointed, your probably making alot more power than i am, with your tune, but the 20s are heavy.

Last edited:

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
Nvr_Spds said:
In this heat, 13.1s, since your rolling on 20s, its your first time, and its soo damn hot.. The times in my sig, i ran with a K&N FIPK, 6lb lower, shitty tune, TR6s, FTVB w/4x4 Pan, on stock F1s, w/ 1.9 60' time. Im not the best driver by any means either.

I dont think you will be disspointed, your probably making alot more power than i am, with your tune, but the 20s are heavy.
I would be stoked if I could pull a 13.1, but we'll see, thanks for your input! you love the ftvb?

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
You are still running a stock plug with a #6. I would change those out for a couple heat range colder. Everywhere I read about pulleys, they say change heat ranges when goin over stock. Just my .02. Have fun at the track, Id love to run a 1/4 . All we have around here are 1/8

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
Mickey_shouse said:
You are still running a stock plug with a #6. I would change those out for a couple heat range colder. Everywhere I read about pulleys, they say change heat ranges when goin over stock. Just my .02. Have fun at the track, Id love to run a 1/4 . All we have around here are 1/8
I know, I just havent had time as I've read its quite a task...I'm gonna try to do the oil, fuel filter, and plugs all within the next two weeks. Just sucks cause I could swap my plugs on the SRT in about 10 minutes...guess I best get to practicing!

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I think you could get 13.1s.. I pulled my best, after hotlapping the hell out of my truck. Just work on your launch, and you should be fine. Yeah, i definitely love the FTVB. its got a nice kick to it..

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
In this heat without a dynotune and any way to measure your a/f you are asking for disaster with the stock plugs. You can get tr6's for under 30 bucks a set. It may take you 3 hours to change them but wouldn't you rather do that than blow your motor?

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
ID 10 T said:
In this heat without a dynotune and any way to measure your a/f you are asking for disaster with the stock plugs. You can get tr6's for under 30 bucks a set. It may take you 3 hours to change them but wouldn't you rather do that than blow your motor?

I agree, my local tuner charges $100 to change them out. I just don't have the tools and never been shown how. I did see some type of extenstion kit you can get that make's changeing them easyer but not like a reglur socket extintion either.

yeah i guess the threads in the head are not that many because FORDFANSTAN was on his way to my house today (palm springs to bakersfield) to go to famoso on friday night and half way here following a big rig @ 45 MPH down HWY395 one of his plugs blew out!!!!! Now he is stuck in a shity motel in San Bernadino after $200 plus fees in towing :fm: . I'm sure he will post a new thread on his situation. I just wanted White Whine to know that me and him will not be attending friday night so post up some good times :rockon:

thubigdawg

GO CANES!!!
Established Member
Bet you your first run will be in the 14's. LOL, I guess we'll see. After a couple runs you should be in the low low 13's. Have fun.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
xxunleadedxx said:
yeah i guess the threads in the head are not that many because FORDFANSTAN was on his way to my house today (palm springs to bakersfield) to go to famoso on friday night and half way here following a big rig @ 45 MPH down HWY395 one of his plugs blew out!!!!! Now he is stuck in a shity motel in San Bernadino after $200 plus fees in towing :fm: . I'm sure he will post a new thread on his situation. I just wanted White Whine to know that me and him will not be attending friday night so post up some good times :rockon:
that friggen sucks!!! I feel so sorry for him, hope my truck survives the trip to bako and back. Ill do my best to represent.

about the plugs,for all I know, I could have iridiums in there, the dealer really knew jack about what was really done to it, I just found out it had a k&n filter when I put on the jlp and didnt know it was a custom predator tune till I plugged it in. I will swap in ngk TR6s when I do the oil change...maybe sunday, I'm fairly proficient with cars and usually do all my own work, just intimidating when a new one presents itself.

Damn, my neighbor just let me borrow his motorcycle helmet but now I read I dont think its gonna be acceptable, I'm gonna be pissed if I get kicked off after like one or two runs...guess I best keep it in the 14s :loser:

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
Good luck!

Oh and BTW, don't forget to wrap your tool! I remember my first time...oh boy! I was all over the track!

blue2.gif

Last edited:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Have fun! Those are some big ass sidewalls on your tires! Remember to let some air out in the back.

rphinney

Established Member
WW we will be heading out at about 5:30 and should be getting there right at six, I'll see you there, I got the ET Streets for the Vette yesterday, they are damn sticky and really looking forward to tonight!

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
sweet, lookin forward to it too. I'm not leaving now till around 4ish, so maybe I'll get there right on time too! I picked up a 3" hose last night that I'm gonna try to slap on so I can get the ram induction going before I leave, I'm getting off today at noon so I should have time. Other than that, I'm considering trying to swap fuel filters quick too, think I'll have time?

Prozak

Established Member
with the 20"s im guessing 13.5 at best... i cant believe how much slower they make a truck... i guess ill have to wait and see... but my guess is mid to high 13's from past expirience... ill never run 20's

FordFanStan

Established Member
Hey whitewine yeah I guess xxunleadedxx posted it but I blew the third plug back on the drivers bank. Now itll be at least one week (san berdu ford has to order the head) and there saying its not going to be covered with ford assistance because Ford only allows 2 "AWA's" (After Warranty Assistances, "goodwill", where ford will help pay for something). And my nearest SVT dealer in Palm Springs already used them on my truck for pidly shit... Im so pissed. If I cant get them to cover it anyhow, it will be approx 3250.36 outta pocket. So go run one time for me since I cant now lol, late Stan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread