my first pass with the cobra

army_man1014

Established Member
Well I went out to ATCO raceway out here in south Jersey. I didnt wanna go full throttle cause i know how poorly these IRS can be, but once i got out there i couldnt help myself but i didnt come out of the hole hard though. here are the #'s

PASS 1

R/T.- .442
60'- 2.302
1/8- 8.733
MPH- 91/14
1/4- 12.930
MPH -119.24

PASS 2

R/T- .211
60'- 2.469
1/8- 8.825
MPH- 90.57
1/4- 13.065
MPH- 118.01

So what do you guys think, i did this on street tires by the way, I was reving like 3500-3700. I know im not the best driver but this should get alot better with nittos and some experience on the track, right?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
You need to buy tires...1/8th should easily be in the 7.9 area.

Experience is the biggest thing you need, just seat time in the car at the track.

army_man1014

Established Member
thxs bro for the advice..my 1st pass i did a little burn out but my second pass i didnt. I have goodyear eagle F1 on the car now.. I was spinning for atleast 20 ft through out the launce but like u said time at the track will only get me better

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
At that power level and no DRs you are going to be pedaling all of 1st and second.
I went to Baytown once when I was stock it was an exercise in wheel hop and tire spin futility.
Nearly all of my previous drag experience was acquired in my 428 SCJ powered automatic 52 Ford pickup, best of 12.83 with an RV cam:nonono::dw:

I found this car to be NOT FUN at the drags.:nonono:
I'm sure with lots of practice and several clutches later I would have gotten better, though the 2 -3 shift I found to be quite tricky to do without a lift.
I have a lot of respect for the six speed guys on here running low elevens and faster.

The most fun that I have found to be had with this car, is doing events like what's found in my sig.:rockon::beer:
I recommend every one put this activity on your bucket list... most of you are young so ya got a ton of time, those of you who are getting close to my age or older....
Get your asses out there!!!:rockon::poke:

Last edited:

army_man1014

Established Member
I wanted to get the ITS brace but do u think with the brace the rear end will hold up to 4000 grand launches. My problem is i dont know how hard to push her. any suggestions on what i should do? also what DR's will be good.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
What's your Cobras setup? Street tries are tough for these cars at the drag strip. You're leaving .5 to .7 on the table just with your 60' times.

c_mart_28

Established Member
Yeah, that MPH is good for a solid 8.0ish time with even a 2.0 60' which would equate to low-mid 12's. I suspect just seat time and for sure a decent set of tires would get you into the 11's. These transmissions can be tough to really eek every bit out of. You're picking up 28mph in the last half of the track so the power is definitely there.

army_man1014

Established Member
yea i also think the power is there but gettin it off the line is my issue. Im def gonna get some DR's cause i know with those i can get low 12 or even high 11's. Now i just wanna get some suspension stuff and that IRS brace and then im going to hit the track hard.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
yea i also think the power is there but gettin it off the line is my issue. Im def gonna get some DR's cause i know with those i can get low 12 or even high 11's. Now i just wanna get some suspension stuff and that IRS brace and then im going to hit the track hard.

Don't forget that the stock IRS bushings allow excessive movement of the center diff and the arms/knuckles.

The deflection is the primary cause of wheel hop.
The best solution IMHO is the bushings from Bruce's company,
FULL TILT BOOGIE RACING.
Full Tilt Boogie Racing Homepage

This fix for the IRS is by no means a road racing only mod, it has eliminated my wheel hop in nearly every hard launch scenario I have tried.

superman

Established Member
More seat time will get you better times. Also a set of drag radials will help a lot. I went 11.30's 1/4 mile & 7.20's 1/8 mile with the stock supercharger and no mods to the IRS on drag radials. I averaged between 1.63 & 1.66 sixty foot times. Keep going to the track- you will keep getting better.:burnout:

army_man1014

Established Member
More seat time will get you better times. Also a set of drag radials will help a lot. I went 11.30's 1/4 mile & 7.20's 1/8 mile with the stock supercharger and no mods to the IRS on drag radials. I averaged between 1.63 & 1.66 sixty foot times. Keep going to the track- you will keep getting better.:burnout:

DAmm thats really good bro...well hopefully im there soon

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
At that power level and no DRs you are going to be pedaling all of 1st and second.
I went to Baytown once when I was stock it was an exercise in wheel hop and tire spin futility.:

yep.. I was at the track today, and on street tires, 1st gear useless, 2nd gear 1/2 throttle and not till I could get into 3rd could I put power down (and short shifting at that)

Users who are viewing this thread