my first 1000 miles w/o buring oil!!!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
also how much are you guys getting 8qts of Amsoil shipped to the door for?

Preferred Customers pay....

$30.65 per gallon x 2 = $61.30
Amsoil EaO17 filter = $10.50

$71.80 + shipping and tax

Only have to change your oil once a year with this stuff, up to 15,000 miles. Detailed buying guide below.

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first.

8 quart fill (Coyote GT)
8.5 quart fill (Track Pack GT & Boss 302)

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, no matter the climate….use this.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures and is lightly modded....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you road race your car....use this.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market.

If you have the Getrag MT-82 6 speed manual

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing grinding.

If you have the 6R80 automatic 6 speed, this stuff will make it survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 2 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is my advice to you on how to by all Amsoil products at dealer cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, I'm always here to answer them. Just send me a PM.

Troy

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So 5w20 is only for gas mileage? Sorry don't know much about oil. I've had no oil consumption or leaking. Should I still make the switch to 10w30 amsoil? Did the ticking stop as well James?

Yes and no. All cheap lubricants being compared, yes....the lighter grade helps with fuel economy, saving the manufacturer millions of $$$ in fines to the federal government due to CAFE laws.

However, when you test against a superior true synthetic base stock like Signature Series, even Amsoil's 30 grade lubricants get better mpg than Motorcraft and other cheap 20 grades.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
9 qts of oil and a filter. you can either pay close to $70 for m1/pu (no discounts) plus a motorcraft filter or around $90 for amsoil ss and an ea filter shipped. $20 more with the latter but I feel comfortable running it for a year so I feel like I'm saving $50.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

IMOP any high grade synthetic is good. My uncle had a Ford Mustang with a 289 in it and when he finally sold it the thing had 250k miles on it.
That was back in the 60s and 70s when oil was garbage compared to todays oil. I think he told me he was using QS conventional 10-40 all those years.
Yeah the 3 thousand mile oil change that sucked.
For me I won't pay $$ for oil I buy the cheapest Synthetic I can find but use Fords oil filter or better.

But if I can change it every 12-14k I may look into the Amsoil.

Preferred Customers pay....

$30.65 per gallon x 2 = $61.30
Amsoil EaO17 filter = $10.50

$71.80 + shipping and tax

Only have to change your oil once a year with this stuff, up to 15,000 miles. Detailed buying guide below.

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first.

8 quart fill (Coyote GT)
8.5 quart fill (Track Pack GT & Boss 302)

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, no matter the climate….use this.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures and is lightly modded....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you road race your car....use this.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market.

If you have the Getrag MT-82 6 speed manual

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing grinding.

If you have the 6R80 automatic 6 speed, this stuff will make it survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 2 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is my advice to you on how to by all Amsoil products at dealer cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, I'm always here to answer them. Just send me a PM.

Troy

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
But if I can change it every 12-14k I may look into the Amsoil.

With an 8 quart sump, everyone here can use Amsoil Signature Series lubricants in their car for 1 year or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. That will save everyone time and money, not to mention better for the environment when you are creating less waste oil.

Last edited:

joey289

Established Member
With an 8 quart sump, everyone here can use Amsoil Signature Series lubricants in their car for 1 year or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. That will save everyone time and money, not to mention better for the environment when you are creating less waste oil.

How is the warranty affected if you decide to use a different weight oil than recommended and go 15k between oil changes?

Also, you give a MT82 fluid for road racing..... but what about just normal daily drivers? I just picked up a sponsorship from Amsoil for my ATV racing so I i have access to a pretty decent discount on all Amsoil products.....looking to make an order here soon.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
How is the warranty affected if you decide to use a different weight oil than recommended and go 15k between oil changes?

Also, you give a MT82 fluid for road racing..... but what about just normal daily drivers? I just picked up a sponsorship from Amsoil for my ATV racing so I i have access to a pretty decent discount on all Amsoil products.....looking to make an order here soon.

Ford won't care about lubricant weight. Why should they, when some versions of this engine call for 5W-50.

Use Amsoil MTF for all climates and uses for this car.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
My GT/CS has a little over 17K mi. and I went from M1 5W20 to RP 10W30 when the car had about 12K mi. The car runs better,gets better MPGs and the "tick" is virtually gone. I'm planning to change to Amsoil ss 10W30 after reading UOA on this forum. I'm also running Amsoil dominator RD30 10W30 in my Shelby and it also runs better than with the motorcrap 5W50 it came with.

Last edited:

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
You must be using the 170* thermostat in your 2013.
No I'm not. But I don't race the car at all. It's just a weekend toy for me and my wife. In order for the 170* thermostat to work correctly you also need to do a tune so the electric fans come on earlier and I don't want to mess with the computer and void the warranty.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
If you can find Ultra 10W-30, it's far better. Now, in their API SN formulation, Pennzoil has changed to the new GTL (Gas To Liquid) derived base stock. It's very pure, rivaling PAO true synthetics on NOACK Volatility.
But since it's API certified, doesn't the zinc content is low? They use low zinc content per government stds. so the cat. conv. can last over 80K mi.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
But since it's API certified, doesn't the zinc content is low? They use low zinc content per government stds. so the cat. conv. can last over 80K mi.

All API SN lubricants do have lower ZDDP content, so you are correct. From my testing, high levels of ZDDP wasn't a sure thing to reduce wear. Other factors in the formulation played a role.

Example: Amsoil Signature Series lubricants have API SN levels of ZDDP, Dominator RD30 has high levels of ZDDP. Wear metal ppm were about the same.

However, what ZDDP is good for. When you run the lubricant to the extreme, ZDDP content is there to provide a last line of defense to a failed film barrier.

What's really funny, a lubricant with low evaporation (NOACK %) and high ZDDP will contaminate the catalysts no more than a lubricant with high evaporation (NOACK %) and API SN levels of ZDDP.

Last edited:

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
All API SN lubricants do have lower ZDDP content, so you are correct. From my testing, high levels of ZDDP wasn't a sure thing to reduce wear. Other factors in the formulation played a role.

Example: Amsoil Signature Series lubricants have API SN levels of ZDDP, Dominator RD30 has high levels of ZDDP. Wear metal ppm were about the same.

However, what ZDDP is good for. When you run the lubricant to the extreme, ZDDP content is there to provide a last line of defense to a failed film barrier.

What's really funny, a lubricant with low evaporation (NOACK %) and high ZDDP will contaminate the catalysts no more than a lubricant with high evaporation (NOACK %) and API SN levels of ZDDP.
Good info. Thanks. Like I said, my Shelby is my weekend toy. I don't race it or track it.

Users who are viewing this thread