My Dyno :: Predator, 2.80, Exhaust, and Intake

nuxx

Established Member
Well guys, here are three of my dyno runs from 2 days ago.

Conditions were :: 90 degrees, 100% humidity (raining) :(

Car :: 10th Anniversary Cobra, 2100 miles, 5w/20 dino oil

Mods :: 2.80 pulley, Steeda Tensioner, Densecharger CAI, Bassani O/R xpipe, Borla XR1 mufflers, F500 after muffler Xpipe, and Diablo Predator.

Run 1 is the unchanged Predator Pulley Tune ::
03Dyno_280_pulley_tune_Exhaust_CAI.jpg

Run 2 is the Predator Pulley Tune with 1pt added Fuel ::
03Dyno_280_pulley_tune_Exhaust_CAI_fuel.jpg

Run 3 is the Predator Pulley Tune with no added Fuel and 10% added Timing.
03Dyno_280_pulley_tune_Exhaust_CAI_timing.jpg

There were 3 other runs after, but the numbers and A/F were all about the same. I tried lowering fuel, raising timing, lowering timing, rasing fuel etc... nothing really changed too much.

I'm a bit scared with how lean the car is running in the low RPM range and how rich it's running at high RPM. I'm trying to get this worked out with Diablo right now.

I'm sure with a better tune, the HP will go up a bit, and I'll feel a bit better about the safety of the car. Also I'm sure in better conditions with more miles and better oil, the numbers will also go up.
-Peter

lethal

Established Member
It's the Densecharger, get Davids tune from Johan, or dump the intake, that's why your lean (as we discussed before).

John

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by lethal
It's the Densecharger, get Davids tune from Johan, or dump the intake, that's why your lean (as we discussed before).

John

Was David's that bad?

I tried to email Johan, he hasn't replied yet.

I'm thinking that I'll run the modded tune for a bit. Then switch out to the Steeda and put the stock pulley tune back on.

-Peter

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Your air-fuel is not where it should be,you are way to lean through the lower rpms and way to rich at the upper rpms.If you can not fix this yourself with the predator i would call where you purchased it from and get another program installed that you can work with.I would not settle for that program!

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
Your air-fuel is not where it should be,you are way to lean through the lower rpms and way to rich at the upper rpms.If you can not fix this yourself with the predator i would call where you purchased it from and get another program installed that you can work with.I would not settle for that program!

Emailed both Diablo and the place I got it from, waiting to here back.

Johan from Diablo seemed willing to help me on this. I emailed him a few weeks ago before installing everything, because I thought this would happen.

Now I'm just not sure how the custom tune will work. I know David's tune (one of the test cars) is very similar to me. So his tune would be great for me now, but I don't know how to get it on my unit. I don't think there is a program yet that lets you send a custom tune to the Predator, I'm guessing I will have to send my predator to either Diablo or the company I bought it from.

I could be wrong, dunno... sucks :(
-Peter

stang99

I worry if I even see the a/f above 11 anywhere in the pull. I do not think that I would be comfortable with your a/f. If you still have the stock intake, you might consider putting it back on in the meantime and definitely add as much fuel and pull as much timing as you can with the Predator.

nuxx

Established Member
Think something as simple as just changing to a straight filter (afm , steeda) will fix that leaness issue all the way?
-Peter

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
shouldn't the predator pulley tune be tuned to compensate for different CAI's?

Besides, will changing to another CAI really bring down the a/f from 14.0-13.5 to 11.8-12.1 ?

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sssnake
was that af reading at the tailpipe

Yes it was taken at the tailpipe.

I ordered the Anderson Ford CAI based on your comments 03Sssnake ;-)

Couldn't justify the extra 130 for the bling... :kaboom:
-Peter

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
shouldn't the predator pulley tune be tuned to compensate for different CAI's?

Besides, will changing to another CAI really bring down the a/f from 14.0-13.5 to 11.8-12.1 ?

Direct from Diablo before I put anything on the car... when I asked about Densecharger leaness...

".. it does not measure the air properly as it goes into the engine, if you compare stock MAF sensor location and the one on the unit you have you will see that it is rotated, as the meter only goes to about the middle of the tube and is located right after the bend on the inside where the air is moving slower compared to the outside bend where it has higher velocity. So it is basically measuring the slow air entering the engine thus causing the lean condition, and it is dangerously lean."

That sounds like the guilty party to me... anyone else?

Densecharger = Pile of shit :)
(thanks for it though Lethal, lol)

This is strange too...

NO PINGING!!!! Except for an off throttle ping when coasting... which happens once in a blue moon... I ARE CONFUSESED
-Peter

Last edited:

Mongoose 03

The Godfather
Established Member
Oh yea this is gettin good. Blame the Densecharger for the almighty Predator not bein able to do its job. Looks like the Predator is not as versatile as everyone thought. They'll prolly have a fix for it in 2 weeks....jmho :p

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by Mongoose 03
Oh yea this is gettin good. Blame the Densecharger for the almighty Predator not bein able to do its job. Looks like the Predator is not as versatile as everyone thought. They'll prolly have a fix for it in 2 weeks....jmho :p

I wouldn't say they are going as far as blaming the Densecharger or saying it's crap. The thing is that most 03 owners went with a straight style (not in fenderwall CAI), so Diablo must have developed their tunes around that.

They did have a test car with a Densechager, so they know what's going on. I was thinking about just getting the tune they did for his car, but just went ahead and got a different CAI.
-Peter

Last edited:

Thomas Morgan

Established Member
peter how did you like protechs dyno. i had my first one at autotek and my next one is gonna be at colvins. they have dynoed lots of cobras there. they have a list of cobras that they have done on the wall over there.
THomas

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by Thomas Morgan
peter how did you like protechs dyno. i had my first one at autotek and my next one is gonna be at colvins. they have dynoed lots of cobras there. they have a list of cobras that they have done on the wall over there.
THomas

Autotek's dyno is terrible. Their numbers are way off.

Colvin's is fine, they banged my limiter.

Protech reads about the same as Colvins... but it's mainly for the "in group". They really don't do dyno runs for people. I just know the Supra crowd pretty well, so I got to dyno there. They just have an RX7 parked on the dyno most of the time, had to move that and about 3 other cars to do my pulls.

Also, I knew I would make a lot of runs, and would need to sit on the dyno for a bit.

Every run had a long cool down time, and messed with about 7 Predator tunes. I'd hate to think what that would cost at Colvins. lol

Here are a summary of my dyno runs ::

Autotek ::
1996 Cobra (Exhaust and K&N) = 289rwhp (REALLY high for those mods)

Protech ::
1996 Cobra (Supercharged) = 428rwhp (Seemed just about right)
2003 Cobra (2.8) = See Above Post

Colvin's ::
2001 Cobra (Bolt On) = 293rwhp (Seemed about right)
2003 Cobra (exhaust, cai) = 390rwhp (Seemed about right)

I have a friend with a H/C w/ nitrous C5 that Dynoed at MTI, Protech and Colvin's and they were all within 4rwhp.

Just don't go to Autotek again. And tell Daniel at Covlin's to watch the rev limiter.

-Peter

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Your dyno runs really fall off on torque, and consequently HP, very early. I think it's more than just being rich, as other curves I've seen are also rich but torque falls off much slower above 4000 RPM and HP is still going up sharply until 6000. I don't understand your exhaust setup, with ??? 2 x-pipes. The torque fall off suggests an intake or exhaust restriction. I agree that the Densecharger could be a problem on the intake side, but also wonder if you might have an exhaust resonance with your mix and match system that is impeding exhaust flow at high RPMs. Resonances (intake or exhaust) can impede or promote flow as much as physical restrictions. You might just have a setup that screws you up at high RPM.

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
Your dyno runs really fall off on torque, and consequently HP, very early. I think it's more than just being rich, as other curves I've seen are also rich but torque falls off much slower above 4000 RPM and HP is still going up sharply until 6000. I don't understand your exhaust setup, with ??? 2 x-pipes. The torque fall off suggests an intake or exhaust restriction. I agree that the Densecharger could be a problem on the intake side, but also wonder if you might have an exhaust resonance with your mix and match system that is impeding exhaust flow at high RPMs. Resonances (intake or exhaust) can impede or promote flow as much as physical restrictions. You might just have a setup that screws you up at high RPM.

http://www.lilviv.com/nuxx/images/03dyno/03DynoExhaustCAI.jpg

It's not the exhaust setup. Look at the torque curve on my first dyno with same exhaust and CAI, flat. It is interaction between the Densecharger and Predator tune for sure.
-Peter

Users who are viewing this thread