my dogs killed the neighbors cat

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
LOL. Don't recall implying that, just made a comment.

I'm not the one here saying "If my dog that is coming at your animal, and you harm it, you better have enough ammo" and thinking it is totally cool to make internet threats over a generalized post.

Very calm, already had my coffee.

My six shot is offended, what do you have against them? Wait, I know, guys that cannot shoot need like 30 rounds, right?

Glad to see you post more often new guy. Where you from mate?

I'm more like John Wick, not Taran Butler. I think 08mojo is blood related to Chuck Norris and cousins with Taran Butler.

A few things stand out about your post:

1) Shooting something the size of a medium dog or larger inside of an office doesn't take much skill, literally just point shoot. Claiming you have incredible skill to put your rounds right on target when referring to shooting a dog at point blank range makes it sound like you overestimate your skill. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt because I have never seen you shoot.

2) You are in an office in a public setting. Neither your animal nor the aggressive animal is of the most importance in the room, the actual human occupants in the room that are playing no part in your situation are. With that, if you are not disabled or elderly then you should be able to physically restrain the dog with physical force. It's not that hard.

3) The situation you described and how you played it out is a massive overreaction on your end with an unwarranted response. Pulling a gun because of an aggressive dog just following its instincts and in a room with other people you dont know and are uninvolved is just asking for trouble for yourself. Rather than sitting there fantasizing about how you are going to go wild west on a dog, try thinking about worst case scenario which is obviously injuring or killing an innocent bystander around you. If that is a possibility then dont do what you were thinking of doing unless you are responding to an actual threat that can cause death or serious bodily harm to YOU or any other PERSON in the room.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

1) Shooting something the size of a medium dog or larger inside of an office doesn't take much skill, literally just point shoot. Claiming you have incredible skill to put your rounds right on target when referring to shooting a dog at point blank range makes it sound like you overestimate your skill. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt because I have never seen you shoot.

2) You are in an office in a public setting. Neither your animal nor the aggressive animal is of the most importance in the room, the actual human occupants in the room that are playing no part in your situation are. With that, if you are not disabled or elderly then you should be able to physically restrain the dog with physical force. It's not that hard.

3) The situation you described and how you played it out is a massive overreaction on your end with an unwarranted response. Pulling a gun because of an aggressive dog just following its instincts and in a room with other people you dont know and are uninvolved is just asking for trouble for yourself. Rather than sitting there fantasizing about how you are going to go wild west on a dog, try thinking about worst case scenario which is obviously injuring or killing an innocent bystander around you. If that is a possibility then dont do what you were thinking of doing unless you are responding to an actual threat that can cause death or serious bodily harm to YOU or any other PERSON in the room.
When my boxer starts ti get tense or bow up. I find stepping between him and his perceived challenger notches him down a few levels. A pocket full of snackie-poohs also help.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
When my boxer starts ti get tense or bow up. I find stepping between him and his perceived challenger notches him down a few levels. A pocket full of snackie-poohs also help.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

Yep. Sometimes you have to play "Who's alpha" with them.

I actually have a funny story from a friend I have known since we were kids and there is a strong possibility you could know his dad who the story is about. He did what had to have been 25-30 years in your very particular field and retired maybe 8 years ago if I had to guess? He became a mailman delivering mail on foot or was on foot for one particular area, but my friend was telling me that on his route he noticed a German Shepherd looking dog following him and it had an aggressive demeanor. He had gone through training on how to handle aggressive dogs on the routes by using your bag to deflect each attack by the dog.

So he gives this dog a little time to get lost, keeping an eye on it, but it doesn't leave him alone. So he decides he is going to confront this dog and do whatever he has to to drive it off. Sure enough the dog lunges for an attack and so he hits it with his bag to push it away. I guess the dog came back around for round 2 but instead my friend's dad got ahold of it and managed to break its neck and end it right there killing it lol.

@DaleM

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member

Fair point. But, as I've said in other posts, I wasn't bragging nor claiming I'm the best shot in the world. I also pointed out "if it came to it and the dog attacked after the owner failed to subdue it first" I would shoot. You're saying you wouldn't shoot if a dog tried to attack you or your animal, knowing if you intervene, you yourself are injured? I shoot quite often and train for precision. I usually have 2-3" groupings at 20-25 yards (haven't really shot past that yet as I don't see the point with a pistol), for what this is worth. One comment doesn't equal bragging and if you read to see what another member said that if something happened involving their dog and I retaliated and shot their dog, I'd better have enough ammo.........

Sorry to say, in public, I look out for for me over anyone else, and my loved ones. Sure, there are other people, which enhances my point. Keep your "aggressive" animals under control and not let them wander. Are you saying if this was a 100LB+ dog, you'd be able to restrain it without lethal force? Here you are giving me crap about being able to get my rounds on target and you're acting as if handling a large dog is a cake walk. Wait, I forgot, this is SVTP and every guy here chews on bullets for breakfast, benches 500+LBS, has a 10" wang and is married to three super models and lives in a mansion. Wrong. I think you grossly underestimate the capabilities of what even a 50-75LB dog can do. But, this is SVTP after all. Most here probably wrestle grizzlies for practice, right?

You're assuming it is an overreaction, but, did you read my other posts where I elaborated? I'd ask the owners for them to remove their dog. I would not just draw and shoot the moment the animal on the spot. If it attacked, completely different story. I also do not fantasize am and a realist through and through. I go into public with the mindset that me or my animal will not put anyone in harms way because I'd maintain control of them. Other people, could not care less, hence why I've stated I've had run-ins with vets where "large" dogs wander and approach other people and the owners are too distracted. I've also been bit over a dozen times and been attacked by dogs that didn't have leashes. Never shot one, but, that is not the point here. I do care about other peoples lives, but, when something I love could be in danger, I am on alert.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yep. Sometimes you have to play "Who's alpha" with them.

I actually have a funny story from a friend I have known since we were kids and there is a strong possibility you could know his dad who the story is about. He did what had to have been 25-30 years in your very particular field and retired maybe 8 years ago if I had to guess? He became a mailman delivering mail on foot or was on foot for one particular area, but my friend was telling me that on his route he noticed a German Shepherd looking dog following him and it had an aggressive demeanor. He had gone through training on how to handle aggressive dogs on the routes by using your bag to deflect each attack by the dog.

So he gives this dog a little time to get lost, keeping an eye on it, but it doesn't leave him alone. So he decides he is going to confront this dog and do whatever he has to to drive it off. Sure enough the dog lunges for an attack and so he hits it with his bag to push it away. I guess the dog came back around for round 2 but instead my friend's dad got ahold of it and managed to break its neck and end it right there killing it lol.

@DaleM

100%.

At my last job, the shop dog and another boxer got into a dominance fight, and they were going AT IT in the office. I let em go at it for 10-15 seconds to wear themselves out, and go 'Ok, lets break them up'

Had 8 grown ass adults around me, and everyone's scared to get a dog.

I go "GRAB A ****ING COLLAR"

I get one, and the dogs owner (a female) grabs the other.

Yank them apart, and they stop immediately, start licking each other.

I'm 140lbs fwiw.

Its a dog. You can restrain it.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Going along with being the alpha to your dog, I can't tell you how many times I've seen grown ass adults allowing their dog to drag them down the street when they are "walking" them. I laugh every time because I know they let their dog walk all over them.

My Dobe walks beside and stops when I stop. Whether she's on a leash or not.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
You're assuming it is an overreaction, but, did you read my other posts where I elaborated? I'd ask the owners for them to remove their dog. I would not just draw and shoot the moment the animal on the spot. If it attacked, completely different story. I also do not fantasize am and a realist through and through. I go into public with the mindset that me or my animal will not put anyone in harms way because I'd maintain control of them. Other people, could not care less, hence why I've stated I've had run-ins with vets where "large" dogs wander and approach other people and the owners are too distracted. I've also been bit over a dozen times and been attacked by dogs that didn't have leashes. Never shot one, but, that is not the point here. I do care about other peoples lives, but, when something I love could be in danger, I am on alert.

Pulling your gun is unwarranted to begin with is my point. If you think you have to pull your gun on a dog in that scenario you have made the wrong decision.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Pulling your gun is unwarranted to begin with is my point. If you think you have to pull your gun on a dog in that scenario you have made the wrong decision.

So I understand this, I am wrong for drawing my weapon on a violent dog instead of being incredible hulk and restraining it?

Again, I stated multiple times, in case you did NOT read. I'd only take that action if it came to it and by that, if I could not prevent this before hand and was attacked, I'd draw.

Basically, I should just deal with possibly losing my animal and getting injured myself instead of shooting a dog. Got it.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
100%.

At my last job, the shop dog and another boxer got into a dominance fight, and they were going AT IT in the office. I let em go at it for 10-15 seconds to wear themselves out, and go 'Ok, lets break them up'

Had 8 grown ass adults around me, and everyone's scared to get a dog.

I go "GRAB A ****ING COLLAR"

I get one, and the dogs owner (a female) grabs the other.

Yank them apart, and they stop immediately, start licking each other.

I'm 140lbs fwiw.

Its a dog. You can restrain it.

I had to do it a few times to a Malamute but I had to take him to the ground. Early on right after my friend got him I told him at one point to get away from some food or something and he wouldn't listen or budge. I walked up to him and grabbed his caller to lead him away and he growled at me so I got a hold of his neck and scruff and pulled him down to the ground and kept control of his neck while I put my weight on him and laid there on him until I felt his body loosen up and his eyes relaxed to where you could tell he was not fighting anymore and submitted. Dominance established after that and he never tried it again. You know how stubborn Malamutes are. If they dont see you as family then they wont listen to a damn word you have say. Everyone who was important or part of his family had to basically go through that process with him because he needed to know where he stood in the pack. One of my most favorite dogs after that.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
So I understand this, I am wrong for drawing my weapon on a violent dog instead of being incredible hulk and restraining it?

Again, I stated multiple times, in case you did NOT read. I'd only take that action if it came to it and by that, if I could not prevent this before hand and was attacked, I'd draw.

Basically, I should just deal with possibly losing my animal and getting injured myself instead of shooting a dog. Got it.

In a situation like that, yes. If you are an adult man though, you should not be concerned about your ability to handle a dog. Dont let someone's dog get that close to your pet. If you feel the dog is a threat to begin with be proactive and get a hold of its caller and make sure it isn't going to move any closer until the owner restrains it. You aren't hurting it so if the owner gets mad then inform them of the rules of the office. You control a dog's neck then you control the dog. It doesn't take Hulk to restrain one and pulling a gun on one to shoot it should only be done in a completely safe environment where no bystander runs the risk of being in the way.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
In a situation like that, yes. If you are an adult man though, you should not be concerned about your ability to handle a dog. Dont let someone's dog get that close to your pet. If you feel the dog is a threat to begin with be proactive and get a hold of its caller and make sure it isn't going to move any closer until the owner restrains it. You aren't hurting it so if the owner gets mad then inform them of the rules of the office. You control a dog's neck then you control the dog. It doesn't take Hulk to restrain one and pulling a gun on one to shoot it should only be done in a completely safe environment where no bystander runs the risk of being in the way.

Let me ask you, as I am genuinely interested in hearing this:

What is the largest dog you've ever restrained?

I've wrestled with Pit's and Shepherds alike and I still feel that simply grabbing their collar when they've already started to bite and attack is grossly underestimated.

My grandparents had many Doberman's and one in particular was a 120LB dog that was "stupid" in a special way and would get overly anxious. I'd pay to see someone simply "grab the dog by the collar and restrain it just like that". He would jump at you and when he once in a great while got aggressive with wildlife outside, my 190LB grandfather that was a wrestler had a hard time pulling him back.

Your average little lab or golden retriever I can see being a bit easier to calm down, but, these are not the dogs I'm referring to.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Vets lobbies are always linoleum or tile so cleanups are easy as accidents happen. If you cannot restrain your dog or even someone else’s dog on a slick floor like that you need to hit the gym.

Pulling a weapon in that environment is ridiculous. Be proactive and make sure you are ready to properly intervene should two dogs become engaged in a struggle.

My94GT

Established Member

I've wrestled with Pit's and Shepherds alike and I still feel that simply grabbing their collar when they've already started to bite and attack is grossly underestimated.

My grandparents had many Doberman's and one in particular was a 120LB dog that was "stupid" in a special way and would get overly anxious. I'd pay to see someone simply "grab the dog by the collar and restrain it just like that". He would jump at you and when he once in a great while got aggressive with wildlife outside, my 190LB grandfather that was a wrestler had a hard time pulling him back.

Your average little lab or golden retriever I can see being a bit easier to calm down, but, these are not the dogs I'm referring to.

And this is why I put a prong on my dogs when I’m working with them. People seriously don’t understand what a true high drive/working line dog can do. I’ve worked some small 60lbs female GSDs in bite work that made previous 100 lbs dogs I had look like sissy’s.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member

185lb Malamute once and the one I was speaking about above is 150lbs, but I have done it to smaller dogs as well. I am 180lbs myself. You have to be prepared to wrestle them like you are going to wrestle a man. Grabbing the collar is getting a hold of the situation before it starts, like priming them and setting yourself up in case they escalate thing. If they are focused on your pet then they probably aren't going to notice you get a hold of their collar. If they get aggressive then twist the collar and drag the dog down to the ground. I guarantee if you get the dog on the ground and put your weight on it while controlling the neck, that dog will struggle for a little bit and then will give up as it submits to you.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
If I'm out walking and some large bread dog attacks me it's going to die. PERIOD. However, I'm not going to be some fool at the vet pulling my gun on an animal. Know your situation and what is necessary.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
And this is why I put a prong on my dogs when I’m working with them. People seriously don’t understand what a true high drive/working line dog can do. I’ve worked some small 60lbs female GSDs in bite work that made previous 100 lbs dogs I had look like sissy’s.

I agree with that.

185lb Malamute once and the one I was speaking about above is 150lbs, but I have done it to smaller dogs as well. I am 180lbs myself. You have to be prepared to wrestle them like you are going to wrestle a man. Grabbing the collar is getting a hold of the situation before it starts, like priming them and setting yourself up in case they escalate thing. If they are focused on your pet then they probably aren't going to notice you get a hold of their collar. If they get aggressive then twist the collar and drag the dog down to the ground. I guarantee if you get the dog on the ground and put your weight on it while controlling the neck, that dog will struggle for a little bit and then will give up as it submits to you.

Fair point, big dog.

Still, I'm concerned with tempting fate. What If I am bitten in the face, suffer permanent eye damage or nerve damage to other parts of my body? I understand your logic in not putting other people in danger, which is why I say screw it because the owners of the dog are doing so anyway. In previous experiences I am referring two, a few of the dogs didn't have collars and were at least 80-90LBS.

I am certainly not scared of dogs and being close to 210 myself, I can hold my own.

In any event, I get what you're saying and appreciate the feedback. I tend to be a lot calmer when I carry and always try to deescalate the situation as much as possible before it gets out of hand. My last resort is to use my weapon, but, I am prepared to do so.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
If I'm out walking and some large bread dog attacks me it's going to die. PERIOD. However, I'm not going to be some fool at the vet pulling my gun on an animal. Know your situation and what is necessary.

What if the dog in the vet is a large breed and attacks you? Just curious.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I agree with that.

Fair point, big dog.

Still, I'm concerned with tempting fate. What If I am bitten in the face, suffer permanent eye damage or nerve damage to other parts of my body? I understand your logic in not putting other people in danger, which is why I say screw it because the owners of the dog are doing so anyway. In previous experiences I am referring two, a few of the dogs didn't have collars and were at least 80-90LBS.

I am certainly not scared of dogs and being close to 210 myself, I can hold my own.

In any event, I get what you're saying and appreciate the feedback. I tend to be a lot calmer when I carry and always try to deescalate the situation as much as possible before it gets out of hand. My last resort is to use my weapon, but, I am prepared to do so.

I get where you are coming from and I have been in situations where I saw a possibly aggressive dog wandering around unaccompanied and I was ready to pull my pistol in case it came over to attack any of our dogs but that was outside where no one was around and I felt like I could do so in a safe manner. In that situation, I am not going to take a chance hurting myself in order to fight a dog. But being in a public area with other people around is where you have to draw the line and take measures that probably aren't going to feel the best. The dog can bite you but keep it away from your face and you will survive.

Users who are viewing this thread