My custom Kenne Bell inlet tubing upgrade

GodStang

Established Member
We've actually thought about building more to sell them. It would have to incorporate the twin 75mm GT throttle body though, so it would be a little pricey.

Looks good. If you made them to sell ditch the Twin 75mm. It's been proven that it is not needed. Causes flow problems on a lot of cars which causes tuning issues. The single blade 110mm flows ~1700cfms (depending how it's measured) and the Kenne Bell 2.8LH at like 27 psi does not even flow 1600 cfm. So adding the Twin 75mm just adds many problems. Just a tip if you do make more. Been through it with a couple of cars.

Last edited:

k_kenley

Established Member
Well, I finished building the fuel hat last night (Thanks for the help Tony), put the fuel tank up, and I'm finishing the wiring for the dual Boost-A-Pumps and dual fuel pump drivers.

I had to be REALLY careful putting the power wires for the 2nd pump through the fuel hat. There's a rubber grommet keeping the screws from touching the sides of the hole in the hat, then non-conductive spacers. Once it was assembled, I kept the wires disconnected from the fuel pump, set my multi-meter to resistance test, and touched one lead to the top of the screw and the other lead to the hat. If I got a tone, then the screws were grounding out on the hat. I did get a tone on the first try, which ended up being because the grommet had been torn up from loosening and tightening the screw a few times for fitment, so I just replaced the grommet and it fixed the problem.

FPDMBAP.jpg

The 2nd fuel pump driver module is on the backside of the mount plate.

Finishedhat1.jpg

Finishedhat2.jpg

Finishedhat3.jpg

Finishedhat4.jpg

Finishedhat5.jpg

Finishedhat6.jpg

Finishedhat7.jpg

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
Very interested to see the results of the DIY intake. Congrats on trying something new for more power!

k_kenley

Established Member
ALMOST DONE!!!! I will be ready to do final installs of everything in the morning.

Okay, I've spent the last couple days doing test fits of the intake to figure out the best way to mount it, and modifying the wire loom. I had to fabricate a couple tools, and get the right fasteners to get to 2 bolts that the inlet covers up that bolt the lower intake plenum to the heads. I tried to:

1 - Install the lower intake, the assemble the intercooler, blower, and inlet as a separate assembly. That would've been the BEST way to go, but I wouldn't be able to bolt on the water inlet for the intercooler that bolts onto the front of the lower plenum because it would hit the block.

2 - Install the blower, intercooler, and lower plenum as a complete assembly, and then put the inlet on last. I would prefer that, but I couldn't easily access the lower inlet bolts easily because of how close it was to the firewall.

3 - The least favorable (Because of weight and awkwardness) Assemble EVERYTHING off the engine and install all as one unit. I had to settle on this route, but then I had to figure out how to put those back 2 bolts on and torque them down. I ended up buying a LONG "T" handle (About 10 inches) 5mm Allen wrench with a ball tip, cutting the handle off, and securing it into a socket. I then had to test to make sure I could get it to 21 inch/pounds of torgue with an almost 45 degree angle, and it ended up working.

Also, over Tuesday and Wednesday, I had to tear apart and redo the engine wire loom to make some changes:

1 - Eliminate where the loom comes from the MAIN connection on the passenger side, goes ALL THE WAY over to the driver side, then spreads out onto the engine. I could NEVER understand why Ford did that??

2 - Move the IAC and throttle wiring from the passenger side to the driver side.

3 - Move the vacuum valves from the driver side of the engine to the back corner of the engine compartment.

4 - Add the wiring for the mass air sensor and IAT sensor (They're normally on a separate loom.

Here's some pics of the wiring process.

WireloomMod1.jpg

This is the whole loom before I opened it up. The red is the part that I want to eliminate that Ford wasted space on. The green ones are where I need to move parts around, the blue it where I need to add the MAF and IAT wiring.

WireloomMod2.jpg

This is a close up showing the sections that I want to blend together. You will see zip ties throughout the loom, which are there to keep the junctions intact where the wires branch off from the main loom.

WireloomMod3.jpg

This is the loom after I've stripped off all of the covering.

WireloomMod4.jpg

This is a test fit after I've already moved things around. The MESS in the corner is the excess that was left after I blended that part that went behind the engine into the rest of the loom.

WireloomMod5.jpg

Another view of the test fit.

WireloomMod6.jpg

A close up of the MESS.

WireloomMod7.jpg

Another view of the test fit.

WireloomMod8.jpg

Test fitting with the inlet and blower to make sure everything clears, and to figure out how long to make the throttle and IAC wiring.

WireloomMod9.jpg

This is a view of where I have to add the MAF and IAT wiring.

WireloomMod10.jpg

Here's a demonstration of how I got rid of the MESS of extra wiring.
1st - Figure out a wire that's the RIGHT length to put the connector where you want it.

WireloomMod11.jpg

2nd - Take one of the wires that's too long.

WireloomMod12.jpg

3rd - Clip the long wire to match the correct length where it goes into the connector.

WireloomMod13.jpg

This is the stock style connector (You can buy them at specialty electronics places. I get them from Del Mar Wire in Ontario, Ca), and the special crimper that I use. You CAN'T use a generic crimper from an Auto Zone, Sears, etc because it has to curve the ends when it crimps.

WireloomMod14.jpg

This is the wires after I've crimped the shortened one.

WireloomMod18.jpg

Here's the connector ALL CLEANED UP. The ONLY wires that I didn't shorten were three that were wrapped in an aluminum shielding and went to the crank sensor. I just looped it back within the loom.

WireloomMod19.jpg

This is the loom all modded and ready to wrap up. The zip ties have now been replaced with electrical tape.

WireloomMod20.jpg

This is after I've put the plastic ribbing back on and wrapped it back up. I use the same non-adhesive wire loom wrap that they use at the factory. It's not cheap, but it gives a clean/OEM look to the loom.

Attachments

• WireloomMod1.jpg
    WireloomMod1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 88
  • WireloomMod2.jpg
    WireloomMod2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 70
  • WireloomMod3.jpg
    WireloomMod3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 81
  • WireloomMod4.jpg
    WireloomMod4.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 110
  • WireloomMod5.jpg
    WireloomMod5.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 83
  • WireloomMod6.jpg
    WireloomMod6.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 70
  • WireloomMod7.jpg
    WireloomMod7.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 76
  • WireloomMod8.jpg
    WireloomMod8.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 96
  • WireloomMod9.jpg
    WireloomMod9.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 101
  • WireloomMod10.jpg
    WireloomMod10.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 77

k_kenley

Established Member
Okay, after spending about 3 hours cleaning out the blower (I learned the HARD way why it's BAD to ice down the blower. I had some VERY light scuffing on my rotors from them contacting the case because I was cooling the case faster than the rotors. I took it by KB since I'm about 1 mile from them, and they said it was fine. I just took some 2000 grit sandpaper, and the blades don't contact anymore), then I cleaned out the intercooler and intake from ALOT of oil (I'm also installing an oil separator that I built). Everything has been sealed, torqued down, and is ready for final install onto the engine. I just have one little mod to do to the engine that I decided to do this morning.

FinalAssembly1.jpg

FinalAssembly2.jpg

FinalAssembly3.jpg

FinalAssembly4.jpg

FinalAssembly5.jpg

FinalAssembly6.jpg

FinalAssembly7.jpg

FinalAssembly8.jpg

FinalAssembly9.jpg

FinalAssembly10.jpg

k_kenley

Established Member
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

I got it fired up tonight. It idles a bit high, but I still have to route some vacuum connections (I had the vacuum ports closed up while it was running so there were no leaks, but some of the sensors still need to have the lines routed to them). I also only had 1 fuel pump running, so I have to hook up the 2nd fuel pump and FPDM.

The Lentech kicks HARD into gear, and the little 2.4L blower has gotten a good bit louder, especially when I just crack the throttle. I will button up everything in the morning and pull it out onto the street for the 1st time since June.

Here's a little video of it. Sorry about the lack of lighting.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7PhgdqHd7s"]YouTube - Foxinator Rebuild Startup[/nomedia]

k_kenley

Established Member
Okay, I've been driving the car for a few weeks, getting used to the Lentech automatic and working out the quirks in the car. Most of the issues have been worked out, so I just need to mainly button up the interior.

I decided to try a different throttle body. Accufab makes 2 TB's for the Ford GT Supercar, a twin 75mm and a mono blade. I had been told that the mono blade is a little hard to manage on the street because it moves so much air (up to 2300 CFM), so I went with the twin blade. I have since found out that Adam uses the Kenne Bell mono blade (Exact same as the Accufab, KB just got Accufab's permission to use them because Accufab didn't want to mess with making them with the throttle by wire set-up) on many of his cars, so I got a hold of the mono blade and swapped it on yesterday. It drove perfectly fine for me last night (The fact of me having an automatic probably makes it easier to use). GOSH, it only takes MAYBE 3/8" throttle AT MOST to cruise with that throttle body. Just a little crack moves ALOT of air. Here's some pics of the throttle body comparisons.

ThrottleBodySwap1.jpg

This is the engine as it sits right now. I am going to try an air filter on the passenger head, because I found some fresh oil that had been sucked into the intake.

ThrottleBodySwap2.jpg

Here's the mono-blade TB.

ThrottleBodySwap3.jpg

Here's the mono-blade and the twin-blade together.

ThrottleBodySwap4.jpg

Here's the mono-blade compared to the inlet from the old Accufab 03-04 Cobra mono-blade throttle body. This shows how much more air I'm moving with the new set-up.

ThrottleBodySwap5.jpg

This shows the Cobra inlet with the opening in my new inlet.

ThrottleBodySwap6.jpg

This shows the gasket I cut for the mono-blade TB against the Cobra inlet. This is the best indication of how much bigger this sucker is.

95PGTTech

Established Member
any numbers? fab is great, but 90% of fab turns out as fail. cfm and air flow on paper mean nothing if the engine can't use it. not trying to prevent you from trying new things again, but understand what works in theory rarely works in practice.

Users who are viewing this thread