My custom Kenne Bell inlet tubing upgrade

k_kenley

Established Member
My car is currently down to swap in a Lentech 4R70W Strip Terminator trans, ans at the same time I'm also working on a custom inlet tube for my Kenne Bell supercharger.

I realized that I have a throttle body that can flow over 1600 CFM, but the stock Kenne Bell inlet elbow is only rated at 1000 CFM, so that's my choke point. I'm already planning on putting a 4 1/2 inch tube from a Kenne Bell Mammoth kit from the filter to the throttle body which will take care of everything up to the TB, the goal is to get the rest of the intake up to, or more than, the capacity of the TB.

Thanks to an idea from a friend, and some research online, I'm going to work on creating a sheet metal intake for the back of the Kenne Bell that will be more open and flowing than the KB inlet elbow. I will work on piecing everything together, and then I just have to find someone to weld it together for me. I will also be using the Accufab elbow from the throttle body to the back of the blower since it can already keep up with the CFM of the throttle body.

I'll try to keep everyone updated as I move along through this up until I get the car back to Adam for a new tune with the upgraded inlet and the automatic trans. I'm hoping the extra 600+ CFM will make a significant difference in power.

I've been spending today working on the blower removal and I'm going to prep the sheet metal to cut for the intake.

BlowerRemoval1.jpg

BlowerRemoval2.jpg

BlowerRemoval3.jpg

BlowerRemoval4.jpg

BlowerRemoval5.jpg

BlowerRemoval6.jpg

BlowerRemoval7.jpg

Here's some pics of the mock-up of the inlet elbow and throttle body. The open area behind the blower is what I need to fab up.

InletMock-Up1.jpg

InletMock-Up2.jpg

InletMock-Up3.jpg

InletMock-Up4.jpg

InletMock-Up5.jpg

k_kenley

Established Member
I dropped the tank and pulled the fuel hat out a few days ago. I went down and had the stock tip cut off the outlet tube, and they soldered on a threaded -6 tip, then they soldered another tip onto a 3/8" steel tube. When I came home, I drilled a hole for the other tube, bent it to match the angle of the factory tube, cut it at the spot I wanted it, and I just have to have it brazed onto the hat. Now I have a twin outlet fuel hat. I'm going to have a Y block within a couple inches of the outlets that will join them into a -8 line, and then into an SX billet filter that I've had laying around from when I was building my 302 set-up.

FuelHatMod1.jpg

FuelHatMod2.jpg

FuelHatMod3.jpg

FuelHatMod4.jpg

FuelHatMod5.jpg

FuelHatMod6.jpg

FuelHatMod7.jpg

FuelHatMod8.jpg

I was also at a friends shop the other day cutting the aluminum for the intake, and he was looking over what I was doing (He's VERY knowedgeable with mod motors). He said that I needed to go at least 5 inches on the inlet tube, and that I should go with a bigger throttle body since I'm going ahead and building my own intake box. So, now I'm going with an Accufab twin 75mm throttle body that they build for the Ford GT supercar. Below is a pic of a stock GT throttle body sitting next to what is now my old Cobra throttle body. The stock GT one is twin 65mm, so the Accufab one that I will end up with will be a bit bigger.

GTcomparison.jpg

k_kenley

Established Member
Today we were able to finish the fuel hat, and get the 1st stage of the inlet done. Thursday we will finish the inlet and I will cut the holes for the throttle body and the supercharger.

FuelHatDone1.jpg

FuelHatDone2.jpg

InletStage11.jpg

InletStage12.jpg

InletStage13.jpg

InletStage14.jpg

InletStage1a1.jpg

InletStage1a2.jpg

InletStage1a3.jpg

k_kenley

Established Member
After consulting with someone I know that specializes in designing stuff for airflow, I had to do a redesign on the intake, so we had to crack the spotwelds and start reworking it today. It will now be finished on Tuesday.

IntakeRedo1.jpg

IntakeRedo2.jpg

IntakeRedo3.jpg

k_kenley

Established Member
Well, I picked up my driveshaft today, and I have my 4 1/2 inch inlet tubing, and the new air filter.

We're 80% done on the inlet, just have to:
A - Put in some directional pieces on the inside.
B - Put on up the last 2 exterior pieces.
C - Make the openings for the IAC valve, vacuum fittings, and bypass valve.
D - Use a plasma cutter to make the openings for the throttle body and blower.
E - Clean up and buff the whole thing.

We'll try to wrap up the inlet on Thursday.

InletStage31.jpg

InletStage32.jpg

InletStage33.jpg

InletStage34.jpg

InletStage35.jpg

InletStage36.jpg

InletStage37.jpg

InletStage38.jpg

InletStage39.jpg

k_kenley

Established Member
Been BUSY the past couple of days:

- Went to Control Cables in Sante Fe Springs to have them modify my throttle cable to work with the GT throttle body.

- Found the transmission crossmember mount brackets on a 96 Cobra being parted out in Long Beach.

- Got my fuel lines built at G & J Aircraft in Ontario. Steel braided Teflon lines with crimped stainless steel fittings. They're actually ALOT cheaper than using aluminum AN fittings, and they're better for the E85. You also want to use the Teflon instead of the rubber for the ethanol.

- Picked up the Accufab throttle body.

- We finished most of the inlet and cut the hole for the throttle body. We still need to close up around the bottom mount holes where it meets the blower, which will be done on Tuesday.

I'll have to push my dyno day back a bit until the next week, so we'll be a little more until it's back on the road.

Fuelparts1.jpg

I already had the fuel filter sitting around from my 302 days.

Fuelparts2.jpg

IntakeWelding1.jpg

IntakeWelding2.jpg

IntakeWelding3.jpg

IntakeWelding4.jpg

IntakeWelding5.jpg

IntakeWelding6.jpg

k_kenley

Established Member
ALMOST DONE!!!! Here's some pics of the inlet almost finished. I have to tap a couple holes in the bracket that goes off to the side to mount the throttle cable to it, debur the rest of the edges, and then wash it out. There's a guy at a local truck stop that will polish it up for $20, so I will take it to him tomorrow morning to clean it up.

InletAlmost1.jpg

InletAlmost2.jpg

InletAlmost3.jpg

InletAlmost4.jpg

InletAlmost5.jpg

InletAlmost6.jpg

InletAlmost7.jpg

k_kenley

Established Member
Well, it's 99% done. I dropped it off and gave a guy $20 to polish it up. There's a few nicks that are still showing on it, so I'll buff those out on my own. Here's some pics with most of the accessories on it.

InletDone1.jpg

InletDone2.jpg

InletDone3.jpg

InletDone4.jpg

InletDone5.jpg

InletDone6.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread