My custom Kenne Bell inlet tubing upgrade

Stangdriver13

Established Member
I couldn't agree more with you here. I'm a mechanical engineer and yes you can get a good baseline of what you want to do on paper, but really testing is what makes the difference. Don't take this the wrong way, but don't be surprised if your numbers are not as high as you might expect. I see a lot of places in your fabbed design that would allow for stagnation points, basically you have some turbulent air flow that will sit and spin around and affect the way the air flows through the intake. Making a "mini" wind tunnel with some fog or smoke could tell you alot about where those points are.

any numbers? fab is great, but 90% of fab turns out as fail. cfm and air flow on paper mean nothing if the engine can't use it. not trying to prevent you from trying new things again, but understand what works in theory rarely works in practice.

KB@23lbs

Established Member
I would say he couldnt get any real numbers out of it. This had done previously with the Behemoth Inlets for the non-mammoth cars. They looked cool as hell but really didnt produce crazy hp gains. You had to run over high boosts 21 or higher and only getting 25 hp out of it. People couldnt see paying $1500 on a inlet and only getting 25hp

Anabolic

Banned
like the driver side inlet for the intake, eaither way ditching the shitting twin blade he did for any of those accufabs would have atleast gained power.
I was interested in reading the #s on custom made inlet though.
you can for sure feel a difference with the single blade TB though, the smallest blip you go up 2k RPM lol

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
The OP cant afford internet anymore because he was fired from his job when they realized he built this thing on company time.

Sagittaria

Established Member
Just a few minutes of searching brought this up. Dated 2011 Septemberish. Ditched the 2.4 for a 2.8LC. Sold his old blower here actually.. just ignored this thread apparently. Numbers don't seem too impressive.

Okay, here goes I have a blue 1981 hatchback with 86 bumpers and a 2004 Cobra drivetrain with a Kenne Bell 2.8LC and a custom inlet system that a friend and I built (I cut the aluminum and he welded it up). It's been tuned to put out 507 RWHP at 13psi of boost on 91 octane, and 630 RWHP at 21.5 lbs of boost on E85 Ethanol, and this is thru an automatic with a non-lockup torque converter. It's run a best of 6.66@105 in the 1/8 mile at Irwindale, and I haven't run it on the recent tune and suspension mods in the ¼ yet. It is a FULL car that weighs upwards of 3700lbs without me in it with A/C, stereo, power windows, all seats, and it's driven almost every day to work and gets 18-20 MPG when I can keep my foot out of it.

Just to give a feel for what I've done with the car, it started out as an 81 4 cylinder w/ a blown head gasket that I bought for $500 in 1993 and stripped down to NOTHING. It was originally going to be a full drag car, but the vision of it changed over the years as things in life often do. The major change came in 2005 when I sold off all the 302 parts for $9500 and picked up a Terminator engine with only a few hundred factory miles on it. It finally hit the road for the first time in November of 2008. I still have to finish a few items in the interior and get it repainted (Looking to go with the Grabber Blue that's on the 2011 Mustang's). All of the work was done by me, except for some of the welding, the custom center console, and the exterior painting. My list of mods include:

Drivetrain
- 2004 Cobra engine & Lentech Strip Terminator 4R70W overdrive automatic, Kenne Bell 2.8LC with custom built inlet, Accufab Ford GT single blade throttle body, Kenne Bell Mammoth inlet pipe, FRPP 80lb injectors, Custom built 10 gallon ice box in spare tire well for intercooler, Vortech ice box for LC part of the blower, Ultimate Convertor Concepts built 9.5” torque converter, MAC cat-back exhaust, aftermarket h-pipe with high flow cats, Predator tuner, Twin Ford GT 255 lph pumps with a Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump on each one, Metco auxilliary pulley.
- 8.8 rear end (Shortened 1/2" on each side by Currie w/ 9" big bearing ends and Currie 31 spline 9" axles), Detroit locker, 3.73:1 gears, and MAC diff cover.
- Entire fuel, emissions, and A/C systems from 2004 Cobra (The car was certified as emissions legal by a California Referee Station before I built the inlet system).

Suspension
- Strange 10 way adjustable struts and shocks (Just installed this week).
- 150/14 coil over springs on front (Also installed this week), and stock V8 springs w/ airbags in the rear.
- Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear lower control arms.
- Team Z relocated upper control arms.
- Team Z anti-roll bar.
- 1989 Front A-arms w/ Del-a-lum bushings.
- AJE racing tubular k-member.
- 2004 Cobra rear brakes, Baer 12" front brakes.
- 2004 Cobra hydroboost system w/ line lock on front brakes.
- 17" rims with 275-40-17 rear and 245-45-17 front.
- Maximum Motorsports 6pt roll cage.
- HPM subframe connectors and drive shaft loop.
- Welded in torque box reinforcements.

Exterior
- 86 GT bumpers, hatch, and side moldings.
- Mach 1 style hood w/ 3 inch cowl from Champion Fiberglass Products.
- Saleen 2-tier wing
- Saleen rear and side ground effects.
- 89 Mustang rear qtr windows, door moldings and power mirrors.

Interior
- 86 dash w/ custom gauge set-up
- Custom built center console (1986 from shifter forward & 1998 from shifter back), and e-brake handle moved from center to side.
- Front and rear seats from 89 Saleen.
- Complete 2004 Cobra pedal set-up customized to mount w/ 86 dash.
- 1996 HVAC controls, sun visors, and interior light.
- 1991 door panels, rear qtr panels, rear panels.
- Ratcheting shifter.
- Welded in factory brackets to allow rear shoulder seat belts.
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror w/ compass and exterior temp.
- Stereo system = Kenwood head unit with 6.5" mids + tweeters in front, 5" mids + tweeters rear, and 10" single sub.

BlowerSwapDay118.jpg

BlowerSwapDay27.jpg

BlowerSwapDay28.jpg

BlowerSwapDay29.jpg

BlowerSwapDay216.jpg

BlowerSwapDay215.jpg

BlowerSwapDay214.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread