My Coyote Motor Swap in an 86 LX Coupe

Hotrodizz

Established Member
66 GT350H 5.0 Coyote swap begins

here's a thread going on over at Modularfords.com. The guy is doing a Coyote swap into a GG GT350H. Very nice fit and finish. The guy has it running already. It made almost 400 to the wheels, bone stock.

This is my project. The narrow 65/6 frame made headers very difficult, starting a 69 conversion now, hope to try the BBK Fox headers on this one. Also need a PS solution....subscribed

carguy19

Established Member
Its a cool swap, but way more of a pain in the ass then a fox w a 03-04 motor. Tough to spend all that time and money when a termi motor is so much less and makes so much more hp pound for pound.

BABVenom98

Established Member
Its a cool swap, but way more of a pain in the ass then a fox w a 03-04 motor. Tough to spend all that time and money when a termi motor is so much less and makes so much more hp pound for pound.

Pound for Pound? Yeah right. Find me a 03-04 making over 500rwhp with less than 10psi...

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Pound for Pound? Yeah right. Find me a 03-04 making over 500rwhp with less than 10psi...

Can also make the arguement though of which will make more power overall stock. I'll take the low compression forged iron block.

Badass_Forever

Established Member
Your asinine posts clearly show you are a brand loyal moron, who doesn't understand jack shit about the internal combustion engine. First, supercharging of internal combustion engines has been around longer than the FoMoCo has been in existence, much less were they even remotely close in being the first to use on a production car. Comparing the two engines in power is ridiculous as well, boost levels to attain a specific power level are varied depending on a number of considerations...but remember one thing. More displacement equals more potential power PERIOD. I can make the same power in a 4.6 as a 5.4 or a 6.2ls or what have you, however it takes much more atmospheric pressure to attain that power level with a smaller displacement engine all things considered. More pressure equals more heat and less long term longevity. There is no reason not to use a higher displacement engine, especially when it is dimensionally equal or smaller than that of it's lower displacement counterpart. The "tech" as you refer to it, that has been expended on both platforms is mind boggling. Honestly, the "tech" (there's that word again) that has been put into the LS platform is equaled in what Ford has done with the modular platform. Overhead cam engines and their various layouts are as broad as the multiple pushrod incarnations that have been developed over the past century +. Ever taken apart a sbc or sbf for that matter and compared the vast differences in casting techniques, valve train layout, bore spacing, rod placemnent, cam tunnel geometry, oil pump variances, or any of the numerous other intricate differences that have slowly been changed over the years? If you had any background in the automotive industry other than a hobby to read MM&FF magazines, you might comprehend the amazing strides made by both manufacturers to get each respective engine family to the power/economical/electronic wonders that they are today. Try not to make such broad generalizations, especially when they are unfounded...as they continually make most with an open and understanding mind look at use as a useless forum twit lacking common sense and devoid of useful intelligence. :burnout: I'm just posting what most true enthusiasts understand, but don't care enough to type out. It normally falls on deaf ears, but we do eventually get tired of stupid comments.

*EDIT* With your clear genius in reasoning, why then does the 5.0l in the new mustang make power on par with the 6.2l truck engine. Once that reasoning makes it through that thick skull of yours and sinks into that pea sized brain, you might be on the path to logical thinking and quit posting such absurd comments.

This is one of the best pwn't post i've seen to date. you sir are in the lead for 2011.

Badass_Forever

Established Member
Can also make the arguement though of which will make more power overall stock. I'll take the low compression forged iron block.

Boost is very fun, not its nothing like that raw N/A HP. I took a ride in a 690rwhp gt, and then took a ride in a 408 fox at about 750 hp... i can't even explain how gross N/A feels. almost shat.

agentsmith5150

Established Member
the tq from a N/A motor is just ridiculous and the feeling of the pull and having the power on tap at any moment i think outweighs that of a power adder. my 490hp fox feel much stronger than my friends 520hp procharged gt. cause it has 512tq@3300

carguy19

Established Member
Boost is very fun, not its nothing like that raw N/A HP. I took a ride in a 690rwhp gt, and then took a ride in a 408 fox at about 750 hp... i can't even explain how gross N/A feels. almost shat.

Ride in a 750 NA fox 408 car.

Then ride in a 750 whp whippled cobra (or in my case a whippled 03 cobra motor in a fox body).

If you think the high revving lower torque of the 408 is better feeling then a supercharged car with torque right off idle, you'd be the first person Ive met to ever say that.

badblacklx

Established Member
the tq from a N/A motor is just ridiculous and the feeling of the pull and having the power on tap at any moment i think outweighs that of a power adder.

You're retarded.

Awesome project my dad is getting ready to swap a coyote into his 91gt that has been fully restored.

Stock Motor

Established Member
Any progress lately?

Car is on the road, but still ironing out a few details before I can post a driving video. Here is an idle/ rev vid:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APASGaf1LWI"]YouTube - ‪2011 Ford Racing Coyote 5.0L in a Fox Body Mustang‬‏[/nomedia]

Stock Motor

Established Member
Car drives! Still a few things to iron out, however, before she can really be let loose. In this video, there are no power brakes or steering, so slowing things down is a bit hairy. Should have the p/s system wrapped up by the end of this week. Then tune, then track.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZkaV3VlXMM"]YouTube - ‪Fox Body Burnout with 2011 Coyote 5.0L Motor‬‏[/nomedia]

Stock Motor

Established Member
A quick update. The car put down 407hp/ 388tq this morning. The Ford Racing tune was good for 399/374. We added a little fuel across the board and picked up 8hp/14tq not bad at all! Yes, it is a little bit lower than 2011 GT's, but you have to consider this is 91 octane, not 93/94 octane, we are running a power steering pump (2011+ use an electric setup), we are running a 3.5" intake vs the standard 4" intake that you find on a lot of the 2011's, and we have 1 3/4" headers versus the larger 1 7/8" headers.

Vid: YouTube - ‪2011 Ford Racing Coyote 5.0L in a Fox Body Mustang Dyno Pulls‬‏

dyno1.gif

IMG_1193.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread