My convertible top broke

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
take the top and bottom rear seats out, then the side panels, and youll see them. but while ya have the seats out, check your fluid since your already there.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
ya just pop the rear seats out... and then access the panels where the speakers are. You will see them in there.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Did you fix the top yet?

I had a similar problem. One day the top started acting funny. It would push up from one side more than the other and make a clunking sound in the process. I pulled the back seat and side panels to check the pump and found the the drivers side lift cylinder mount had come loose. I found the nut and bracket on the floor. The clunking sound was the cylinder hitting the floor. Luckliy the lines and fittings were not damaged. I just put it back together and it has worked fine ever since.

good call.

Same problem, put the stuff back together with some grease, and loctited the bolts.

I also swapped fluid in the pump (pain in the ass).

Some pics for your viewing pleasure.
vertbroken.jpg

the situation

vertbroken2.jpg

how I found the nut/bracket

vertbroken3.jpg

little dark

vertbroken4.jpg

All better.

Top works like a champ now.

01vert

Established Member
Quad, can it be inspected without pulling the side panels? I am asking since I have a light bar and that would have to come out first so will be a PITA for just checking.

Quadcammer

Established Member
I would have to say that its possible. You may need a mirror and a flashlight, but you should be able to get an idea.

FWIW, the nut on the otherside was also loose. Definitely not a good situation.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Good to see an easy fix. I'll chalk this up as a reminder if mine ever starts acting up.

FWIW, the PS on our 01 has always been slower to lift than the DS. By the time it gets over the top and down to the windshield, they are even as someone else described. This has been since day one, brand new off the lot.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Good to see an easy fix. I'll chalk this up as a reminder if mine ever starts acting up.

FWIW, the PS on our 01 has always been slower to lift than the DS. By the time it gets over the top and down to the windshield, they are even as someone else described. This has been since day one, brand new off the lot.

Mine's done the same since I've owned her in November. No problems yet.

Quadcammer

Established Member
my top actually goes up and down quite evenly. The DS is maybe a millisecond faster.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
If I recall correctly... there is an adjustment for uneven sides. It is in the FSM

Interesting. I thought it was by design since it did it from Job 1 (haha) for the past eight years. I'll have to look at my service CD and see if I find anything on how to adjust it.

Quadcammer

Established Member
actually laughably simple.

1. remove bottom of rear seat. Lift seat, push tabs on both sides, and the seat cushion comes out.
2. two 10mm on the bottom corners of the seat back. Pull up and out.
3. Remove two plastic tree fasteners from the side panels (normally hidden by seatback)
4. Remove plastic tree fastener on the top/back of the side panel.
5. remove two plastic pins that hold rubber weatherstripping on.
6. unbolt seat belt from vehicle with 50 Torx bit.
7. remove the door sill by pulling up from the front
8. wiggle panel out, being careful not to bend the pins and clips holding it in. It should pop out easily.

Sounds much longer and more complicated than it is. I had one side panel out in about 20 minutes, never having done it before.

Users who are viewing this thread