My convertible top broke

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Lol!

while it still goes up and down, it makes some cracking noises, and one of the motors whines like a bitch.

To me it sounds like the drivers side is the one cracking and causing trouble.

What are the chances its just out of alignment?

any insight?

thanks

Quadcammer

Established Member
why don't you go break a few more halfshafts and finish your social studies homework :D

zPipes

Established Member
No help to offer but I can add that I have a leak in my vert, when it rains bad I get a PooL of water in that area behind the rear seats! It sucks quite badly, I think when i had my windows retinted the installer might have slipped the razor into it, I haven't actually tried to locate the leak as of yet, I'm afraid it will cost more than I have, but also been thinkn of some of that black tape sorta like duck tape on the inside if it can be done.

elyrain

Established Member
On mine from the first day I bought it the pass side goes up slower then the d/s. I think it's just the amount of fluid in the cylinders but I just chalked it up to good ol ford engineering, lol.

I would try spraying some kind of lubricant/grease on all the pivot points, may just be a little dry in there. Other then that I don't even know if our tops have anything to align?

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
On mine from the first day I bought it the pass side goes up slower then the d/s. I think it's just the amount of fluid in the cylinders but I just chalked it up to good ol ford engineering, lol.

I would try spraying some kind of lubricant/grease on all the pivot points, may just be a little dry in there. Other then that I don't even know if our tops have anything to align?

My d/s starts to go up first as well, then 1/3 of the way through, the p/s catches up and it closes at the same time. I think that's how it's supposed to work :shrug:

01vert

Established Member
Not supposed to go up and down unequally. Mine was perfect and then began to go up with the pas side before the drives for about the first foot.

Quad, it sound like the pump may be out of fluid?

Quadcammer

Established Member
Um, it doesn't really sound out of fluid from what I can tell. I guess I can poke around in there, but I really have no experience with top mechanisms.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Um, it doesn't really sound out of fluid from what I can tell. I guess I can poke around in there, but I really have no experience with top mechanisms.

Well when all this is over you can say you have experience with them :rolling:

92 Couper

Established Member
Did you fix the top yet?

I had a similar problem. One day the top started acting funny. It would push up from one side more than the other and make a clunking sound in the process. I pulled the back seat and side panels to check the pump and found the the drivers side lift cylinder mount had come loose. I found the nut and bracket on the floor. The clunking sound was the cylinder hitting the floor. Luckliy the lines and fittings were not damaged. I just put it back together and it has worked fine ever since.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
on the saggy, 1 side going up faster than the other, 01's mainly, there was a TSB back in the day for replacing the lazy cyl. with a new one. as far as yours quad, if ya havent, pop ya back seats out and pull the rubber plug and check the fluid. when they are low, the motor will make all kinds of grinding noises. also check all the bolts for the cly's. too. ive seen them come loose over the years.

Quadcammer

Established Member
I suppose I can take a look later this week.

I don't have much time, so I might just take it to the dealer.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Did you fix the top yet?

I had a similar problem. One day the top started acting funny. It would push up from one side more than the other and make a clunking sound in the process. I pulled the back seat and side panels to check the pump and found the the drivers side lift cylinder mount had come loose. I found the nut and bracket on the floor. The clunking sound was the cylinder hitting the floor. Luckliy the lines and fittings were not damaged. I just put it back together and it has worked fine ever since.

I would check that. I had the same issue and have heard it happening to others. It was a bolt on the lift cylinder for me...

Quadcammer

Established Member
alright, where is this lift cylinder? I have the Ford repair CD at my parents house, but if someone can give me an idea of where to look for this thing, that would help.

thanks.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
They're behind the rear interior panels. I haven't had to access my Cobra's cylinders but I had to fix the lines on my '85 LX. I'm not positive on a New Edge, but a Fox is a matter of removing the rear seat (back & bottom), the door sill plate, and several screws.

Users who are viewing this thread