My cobra Bit the dust..... looking for advice.

Blownsvt84

Established Member
Did anyone else notice the OPs sig where he has "931.8whp/984 ft/lbs @ 24 PSI "? I guess that 800+.

So you got 3 years out of the factory engine being pushed hard and you are considering option 2? That just crazy if you ask me.

Saying 3 yrs is decieveing..... thats is about 6-7k miles over that 3 yrs. Most of which is cruising. I also had quite a bit of money sunk ito this motor, It was overbored had CP pistions etc. We just recently made the 930 a few weeks back but the car never drove around that way. Street tune had it at 800-810 @ 20 psi or so and thats what she blew on. This car has been a challenge. It has a problem everytime we go to the track with it. Blew out the intake manifold the last time i went. I have had a valve get stuck in the head at one point and smoked a stock motor back when i still had an eaton. I fully understadn that I am pushing the limits of these motors but they don't seem to like it much. If i stick with a modular it will be more built up this time but I feel a bit like I would be in for more of the same issues even without an increase in power.

Going to a larger cubed pushrod motor I feel as though I could push it less and still make quite a bit more power than what I hav currently and as a result have more power more reliably. Now I don't know how difficult it would be to put a 428 small block in this thing..... anyone know of anyone who has done it?

Last edited:

Blownsvt84

Established Member
Looking at the Boss 302/351 blocks on Jegs right now. Are this a direct drop into the stock location or would it require a bunch of modification like the 5.4?

Blownsvt84

Established Member
Putting a 5.4 in isnt that hard if you know what your doing.

I talked to a buddy of mine who did the swap. He gave me the list of things about it that he found chalenging/didn't like. Thinks like intake ports not matching up if you use cobra heads which I would be, my current turbo set up would not work either.

Ironhand

Banned
I talked to a buddy of mine who did the swap. He gave me the list of things about it that he found chalenging/didn't like. Thinks like intake ports not matching up if you use cobra heads which I would be, my current turbo set up would not work either.

Then he was wrong. I use a 03-04 Cobra lower intake on my 5.4. Granted they are port matched to a larger set of heads. But you can still use 03-04 heads and not port match the lower intake. They will be the same as a factory 4.6 install

Blownsvt84

Established Member
Then he was wrong. I use a 03-04 Cobra lower intake on my 5.4. Granted they are port matched to a larger set of heads. But you can still use 03-04 heads and not port match the lower intake. They will be the same as a factory 4.6 install

What upper?

He used a sullivan, the sullivan for the 5.4 did not line up quite right with the 04 cobra heads. Still made good power but If I am goig to do it I want it to be done perfectly.

Ironhand

Banned
What upper?

He used a sullivan, the sullivan for the 5.4 did not line up quite right with the 04 cobra heads. Still made good power but If I am goig to do it I want it to be done perfectly.

Sullys have to be port matched regardless of heads it seems.

Im using a 03-04 Cobra lower on top of a 5.4 with a 3.4L Whipple with Crusher intake.

Blownsvt84

Established Member
do something new bro- sounds like your burned out on the modular thing

If i had my way and unlimited budget I would go pushrod and twins for sure. I am still looking for info from anyone who has done anything like that in a late model mustang. I have a few buddies with small blocks that made way more power than mine, have not yet broken anything and are running in the mid 8's. I guess thats why I am considering that route.

Cheapest route looks like maybe a boss block if it drops right in and lets me use my current hellion turbo set up and intake manifold. Deck height is the same so i think it would.

Users who are viewing this thread