My cobra Bit the dust..... looking for advice.

Blownsvt84

Established Member
Well last night after 3 years of holding up to 800+ rwhp my cobra finally gave up and put a rod through the block. I was making a pass at the strip and in 4th gear a bot before the finish she let go. Here's a pic I took last night after trailing it home.

358.jpg

not pretty.

Anyway I am considering a couple of options for rebuilding.

option 1: A buddy of mine has a 5.4 out of a navigator sitting in his shop. It has a miss right now that he thinks is related to a bent valve in the head. I can get this block for $200. Obviously I need to get rods and pistons for it. Does anyone know it the crank is forged or would i need to swap that as well? Also wondering if my ARP head studs would transfer over? If all I need is the rods/pistons and some odds and ends I am thinking i could be back up and running for a few thousand bucks. Any additional info anyone has on going to a 5.4 feel free to add it.

Option 2: Build a TT/ST pushrod Small block, probably a 428. Dart(or similar) block. In this case it would be a ground up build, Crank, rods(Billet I beams), pistons, heads etc.... I would sell off my hellion set up and modular components to help fund.

Option 3 Figure out how to stuff a TT/ST BBF/BBC in this thing and go for broke. Basically the same as option 2 but bigger. :rockon:

thoughts? Ideas on whats possible?

lwrs10

Chapstick!
Established Member
wait a sec.....a 2003 cobra threw a rod? I thought these Manley rods were good for 1k plus HP.....

Damn that sucks.....but time to make it better is how i look at it....

svtcobratenthan

Established Member
My brother is a heavy line certified svt tech. He says in the real world these motors are safe to 700 hp. After that your playing with fire.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
wow, first time ive seen that out of a terminator. 931/984 is ALOT to ask a factory motor to handle, lol....well done sir, she served you well. Why not just drop another stock longblock in there and get up and running quickly

Last edited:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Just because they are manley does not mean they last forever.

From Manley's site:

Manufactured from 4340 forgings
Heat treated, stress relieved, shot peened and 100% magnafluxed
Weight matched sets + 1.5 grams
Cap fasteners are 3/8" ARP 8740 or optional ARP 2000 cap screws
Horsepower range for these rods is 750 H.P.

So for after 3 years of holding up to 800+ rwhp they did pretty well in my book

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
wait a sec.....a 2003 cobra threw a rod? I thought these Manley rods were good for 1k plus HP.....

Damn that sucks.....but time to make it better is how i look at it....

Horsepower doesn't mean squat if you over rev it. What was the rev limit set to?

Blownsvt84

Established Member
wow, first time ive seen that out of a terminator. 931/984 is ALOT to ask a factory motor to handle, lol....well done sir, she served you well. Why not just drop another stock longblock in there and get up and running quickly

i would only really need a short block. Obviously the first not so stock block didn't last so throwing a stock one under it would kinda of be like asking for the same result over again in my mind. I could have another rod through the block in a week or less.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Good luck in which direction you take for your new setup. The stock motor served you well though :rockon:

f2hatch

Established Member
I vote option #2. Time to give Steve a call at Pro Line

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd stick with a mod motor myself. Hey where in MN are you located? What shop does your work?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You can have AED build you a badass motor that is reliable and will hold stupid amounts of power.. You can look at my build thread and see the quality of work that they do. You can also look them up Advanced Engine Development they do amazing work.. If you want more info on my setup feel free to PM me. I have a full Blueprint of my motor too.

Ironhand

Banned
I've done a 5.4 before. It's currently being rebuilt stronger. Trust me when I say its not that cheap. I spent along time getting everything just right. I'll have to put my link back in my sig.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
has anyone ever fit a 460ci based block into a new edge body? if so- that's the way I would go- a proper built 460ci based (especially stroked to over 500ci) will give you more seats of the pants feel than Lex Steel. I know we all have them, but jeez I find modular motors to be a PITA.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Did anyone else notice the OPs sig where he has "931.8whp/984 ft/lbs @ 24 PSI "? I guess that 800+.

So you got 3 years out of the factory engine being pushed hard and you are considering option 2? That just crazy if you ask me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread