My car wheel hops a lot more now than it used to...

StangJason

Established Member
On my 03 Cobra I used to hook very good on my 315/35 17 Nitto Drag Radials but somewhere along the way after my rear end started leaking my car seems to wheelhop a lot more. I got the rear end leak fixed but now my wheel hop seems to be worse than ever but I did drop to a 275 Nitto but I don't feel they should be that bad.

Could my wheel hop issues be from a worn rearend that might have been deprived of fluid or is there a part that wears out that eventually leads to more wheel hop?

Thanks,
StangJason

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would tend to believe it has more to do with the tires, but I'm no expert in this area. What suspension mods do you have, if any?

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Has it been cooler in your area when you did the comparison? I have 315 Nitto's and if it is cooler out I get some hop. When it warms up the grip comes back and the hop goes.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
315 to 275's is a huge difference in the amount of contact area you have. Thats where the difference in hop is coming from.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I had bad wheel hop from day one. Got lowering springs and some full length sub frames...still wheel hop. Got a diff brace and replaced the bushings using MM delrin bushings... still had hop. Moved to 315 street tires BFG street tires on 10.5" replicas... still had some hop. Moved to 18" BFG drags and now no more hop. Its all in the tires IMO. I would move back to the 315 nittos and see what happens. What temperature are you getting hop at?

DirtyDingus

Established Member
If you are going to upgrade the bushings i highly recommend these http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-kit-upgraded-toelink-bumpsteer-kit-sale.html

I just had this done to my car, what a huge difference they make. I was really disappointed in my car when i got it, couldn,t drive it like the solid axle cars i have had. My car had massive wheelhop and after installing Bruce's bushing kit it is outfrickinstanding!

ridered494

Established Member
I had this prob with my nittos too then someone told me to go get the whole car alignment right now im good to go. also the nittos dont help the matter they are the worst tire i have ever had on my car and everyone seems to think they are a drag radial but i would consider them a crappy street tire.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
315 to 275's is a huge difference in the amount of contact area you have. Thats where the difference in hop is coming from.

Indeed. 275s have a larger contact patch than 315s if you are running 9" rims. The extra grip you have is probably causing this sudden increase in hop. You made the right decision to get the correct tire size for your rims, but it may be time to upgrade your bushings...Bruce's Kit

Users who are viewing this thread