My car is falling apart...

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
First off
1) My T.O.B. is shot. It squeals louder then my exhaust.
Easy fix but since I just replaced it a year ago I don't feel like dropping the
tranny again.

2)My car is missing. The car only has 28K on the clock.
I have a new fuel filter and new Tr55's. The thing shakes at idle like it has
some decent cams. It is rougher when I start it up. It pulls all the way
through the RPM band though. Also I get no codes.

3)After I changed my plugs this past weekend, I decided to disconnect the
battery. When I hooked it back up and started my car, all this smoke came
in through my vents.
Now my AC only blows hot air... WTF :fm:

I am at a loss on this car. I am about ready to give up on it. Anyone have some suggestions I can use to help diagnose my POS car.
Thanks

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Damn Graig,

For that missing problem you really need to get the car data logged. Like I said I fixed my miss/backfire issue after I got a clue what to look for in a data log. However, I still think it has something to do with your TOB/clutch issue since you have so few miles on the car.

I would ask Jaime about the AC issue, I thought he used to work at an AC shop. But it sounds like a fitting on the compressor broke and the puff was condensate coming through the vents.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
Nah, Ozz it was definitely smoke as in burnt something. Jamie said he would take it in to his shop but I don't want to drive it w/ it running so badly...

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
1) Did you replace the TOB with a OEM unit last year? If not, do it this time.
2) You're probably gonna have to get the car datalogged
3) The only thing that even comes to mind if you had smoke coming through your vents would be the blower motor, but that doesn't explain why you have warm air rather than none. There's tons of threads on here about A/C blowing warm air, your best bet on that part is trying to search button.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
1) Did you replace the TOB with a OEM unit last year? If not, do it this time.
2) You're probably gonna have to get the car datalogged
3) The only thing that even comes to mind if you had smoke coming through your vents would be the blower motor, but that doesn't explain why you have warm air rather than none. There's tons of threads on here about A/C blowing warm air, your best bet on that part is trying to search button.

1) I used a centerforce TOB w/ the DF clutch. I was going to use a OEM one but heard the Timken ones were actually stronger.....
2) Data logging is my next step. My original plugs were at all different gaps and replacing them helped a bit but not entirely.
3) It was blowing cold air, then I disconnected the battery and poof now only hot air. Plus the dial was hard to turn. I almost never use AC so it isn't a major concern at this point.

Thanks for your help unlike the dude above who is probably still pissed the gerbil never crawled back out.

st4ng07

Established Member
Ok, I worked for ford as an apprentice tech for a year. I installed my TKO and centerforce there. THe tech I was working with even told me tob squeak. Just because they squeak does not mean their bad, when you start having engagement problems is when they can become bad. As for the miss..def going to need a scan tool

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Thanks for your help unlike the dude above who is probably still pissed the gerbil never crawled back out.

He isnt mad about it, he loves it, every second. As for the miss you know mine is missing a touch between 2-3K but no codes either and none of the associated smoke. I have tried data logging with no sucess. Hope you get it figured out and share what you find! :beer:

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
Ok, I worked for ford as an apprentice tech for a year. I installed my TKO and centerforce there. THe tech I was working with even told me tob squeak. Just because they squeak does not mean their bad, when you start having engagement problems is when they can become bad. As for the miss..def going to need a scan tool

My clutch pedal vibrates and it is getting hard and harder to get into gear. I had to adjust my firewall adjuster even more to get it to engage somewhat decent. I barely drive the car. Thankfully it isn't my DD or I would be screwed!!!

djtech

Established Member
It sucks when things go wrong with a used car.. You have to take that in stride or be one of those pansies that always has a new car under warranty and a payment ;)

quikcobra

Established Member
When you disconnected your battery it may have messed up the a/c control unit under the passenger side fender.

If you are interested. I have a new one from ford. They are over $230 ill sell you my spare.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
1) I used a centerforce TOB w/ the DF clutch. I was going to use a OEM one but heard the Timken ones were actually stronger.....
2) Data logging is my next step. My original plugs were at all different gaps and replacing them helped a bit but not entirely.
3) It was blowing cold air, then I disconnected the battery and poof now only hot air. Plus the dial was hard to turn. I almost never use AC so it isn't a major concern at this point.

Not a problem bud, I've received lots of help on this board and don't mind giving back. I haven't heard anything bad on the Timken bearings, however I haven't heard they're stronger either. As far as the AC goes, you had to have let the smoke out of something that's close to the blower motor for it to have came through the vents.. A previous post stated there's an AC control unit under the passenger fender, so that sounds like that's where you need to start. See if you can get to it and see if it looks black or smells burned.

01vert

Established Member
AC CCRM is in the inner fender, so doubt the smoke is related but you never know. Is the clutch still working on the AC compressor? Do all the fan speeds still work? Heat work correctly? If you jump the pressure switches on the AC will the compressor clutch kick on (careful) does the system have pressure in the AC lines (buy a cheap refill kit $24 and hook it up, it has a gauge)

I too would look for a small vac leak for the idle issue. If no codes and it is roughest at idle sounds like a vac leak.

Good luck

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
Well how did the old plugs look?
There were pretty bad. I am exaggerating but one plug would look like you could fit a football field in there and another you could hardly see a gap.

When you disconnected your battery it may have messed up the a/c control unit under the passenger side fender.

If you are interested. I have a new one from ford. They are over $230 ill sell you my spare.
I will let you know once I get it diagnosed better. Thanks

AC CCRM is in the inner fender, so doubt the smoke is related but you never know. Is the clutch still working on the AC compressor? Do all the fan speeds still work? Heat work correctly? If you jump the pressure switches on the AC will the compressor clutch kick on (careful) does the system have pressure in the AC lines (buy a cheap refill kit $24 and hook it up, it has a gauge)

I too would look for a small vac leak for the idle issue. If no codes and it is roughest at idle sounds like a vac leak.

Good luck
The compressor is still working. The fan speeds all work. The system is fully charged. It was blowing cold air 30 mins before and then nothing but very warm air. After the smoke came through, I noticed the dial which regulates the temperature was hard to turn. I kept trying to turn it back and forth and eventually it started turning like normal.

Thanks for the input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread