My Build Post

FFRCobraJim

I really like what you've done with your build. I'll look for it if I make it to Steamboat this year.

I've been to many Roundups in Steamboat and always have a great time and would love to see your car in person and in action on the autocross course.

In an earlier post you mentioned building the engine for a Kenne Bell blower. Is that still the plan? And what kind of power do you think the MMR engine will put out? (I'm currently trying to figure out what I want to build - probably an SN95 - if I decide to sell my fake Cobra (Shelby, not Mustang).)

Again, nice build. I really like the path you've taken so far.

Last edited:

FoMoCo01

Established Member
Nice! I'm always up at steamboat for the roundup. I'm in a bit of a time crunch to get the engine in by may but my plan is to be there again this summer. Well, I wanted a kenne bell before and the engine was actually build for boost, but I changed my mind since you never seen N/A new edge mustangs anymore so I actually sent the engine back to put new pistons in it for high compression. At the moment I have pretty much everything I need to get the engine in except for a clutch, flywheel and a few small parts. I'm hoping to get around 350ish RWHP when it's all finished but we will see. Thanks for checking out my build!

FoMoCo01

Established Member
Haven't been on lately so thought I would update. Engine is almost ready to go in, just waiting on an oil pump pickup tube from MMR.
Old engine came out with no issues, been working on some engine bay cleanup along with swapping to a new power steering system since mine was showing some signs of premature leakage. Also gonna be swapping in a 2000 cobra r rack and pinion. Well I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, let me know what you think!

IMG_1906_zps644ffc81.jpg

IMG_1946_zps2b13d45a.jpg

FoMoCo01

Established Member
How about an update? Its been a couple of years…
Since the last post, car ran, car ran really well. Took it to Solo Nationals, did alright for having hardly any seat time in the thing. Car broke. Something gave in and put a large score in the #3 cylinder wall, with only 1k miles on the engine…

Where is the car now? In pieces. Found and rented half of a shop to keep my tools in and continue building the car…for real this time

New goals, NASA TT3 and Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. In a few years

Working on completing a Griggs front end for the car, found an IRS rear subframe which I picked up and will be modifying to get all of the camber that I need out of it since the factory IRS is limited. Also looking for an IRS carrier housing that I will be putting a Quaife ATB in to see how it does. In the process of designing and building a cage for the car, but can't do much until its back on the wheels or I can at least find a way to support it like it is.

For the engine, I am picking up a Teksid block soon and will probably be doing a 4v build (building the engine myself this time) and looking for 330ish Hp because that's what I'm limited to in TT3.

As the car sits right now, it's pretty bare. Only thing left in it is the fuel tank because I'm out of storage space for everything that came out of the car. Anyways, I'll keep updated as things happen, but here's some pics.

IMG_0509_zps1mayhluu.jpg

IMG_2150_zps1cxskc9e.jpg

IMG_1183_zpsqmtrynm6.jpg

IMG_2359_zpsl252qdtw.jpg

IMG_2328_zpsfwdevz4f.jpg

IMG_2371_zpsvkj5qvjd.jpg

Stanger00

Established Member
An MMR motor that failed? No way!

MMR answer to piston scoring cylinder walls, detonation, tuner fault not builder fault for excessive PTW clearance and skirt to wall clearance.

Any rate bad ass build with the Griggs hardware and the specialty rear end design and build. Look forward to its finished look and how it performs in its class.

bobby_0081

Established Member
How about an update? Its been a couple of years…
Since the last post, car ran, car ran really well. Took it to Solo Nationals, did alright for having hardly any seat time in the thing. Car broke. Something gave in and put a large score in the #3 cylinder wall, with only 1k miles on the engine…

Where is the car now? In pieces. Found and rented half of a shop to keep my tools in and continue building the car…for real this time

New goals, NASA TT3 and Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. In a few years

Working on completing a Griggs front end for the car, found an IRS rear subframe which I picked up and will be modifying to get all of the camber that I need out of it since the factory IRS is limited. Also looking for an IRS carrier housing that I will be putting a Quaife ATB in to see how it does. In the process of designing and building a cage for the car, but can't do much until its back on the wheels or I can at least find a way to support it like it is.

For the engine, I am picking up a Teksid block soon and will probably be doing a 4v build (building the engine myself this time) and looking for 330ish Hp because that's what I'm limited to in TT3.

As the car sits right now, it's pretty bare. Only thing left in it is the fuel tank because I'm out of storage space for everything that came out of the car. Anyways, I'll keep updated as things happen, but here's some pics.

IMG_0509_zps1mayhluu.jpg

IMG_2150_zps1cxskc9e.jpg

IMG_1183_zpsqmtrynm6.jpg

IMG_2359_zpsl252qdtw.jpg

IMG_2328_zpsfwdevz4f.jpg

IMG_2371_zpsvkj5qvjd.jpg

How much lighter is the Carbon Fiber deck lid compared to the stock one? Nice car man and sorry to hear about the luck with the engine. Makes me happy I didn't drop 6 grand on an MMR short block. I was looking at buying the 5.3 boss stroker short block for my daily driver and decided to do other things with the money.

FoMoCo01

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback! Pretty sure this groove is a mechanical failure though and not a tuning issue. If you look at the groove it stops where the wrist pin would be reletive to the top of the piston. Oh well, can't do anything about it at this point, it's out of warranty.

The trunk lid is quite a bit lighter, probably about 70% the weight of the old one.

Looking into ordering some more suspension this week so stay tuned.

Here's my engine failure
image_zpsudmhlcip.jpg

FoMoCo01

Established Member
For all of you MMR believers out there…

Found my issue!!! Like the engine builder previously told me, tuning caused the engine failure…

Wait, I didn't realize tuning issues caused "lack of attention to detail" failures…

Exhibit A: One side of the piston after pulling it out of the block

image_zps00zldyym.jpg

Exhibit B: Other side of the piston

image_zpsyvmophy4.jpg

Exhibit C: The damage caused by said, "lack of attention to detail"

image_zpsfw4yieol.jpg

Notice anything wrong with this picture??
Good news is that the rotating assembly can be salvaged and sold for some more suspension goodies!

God do i want to post this to MMR, i just want to hear what they have to say

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
Wow, that is pretty negligent on that build. Such a critical part with any established quality program should have an inspection sign off for wrist pin installation.

Good news that you can salvage for some extra funds.

If you're on FB find mod motor mustangs group and share your story.

FoMoCo01

Established Member
No kidding, I'm really shocked that I found this. I was very hesitant to buy this engine from them in the first place. Should have followed my gut feeling. Oh well. I'll join the group. I don't want to slander MMR's name because I'm not that type of person, although it's pretty upsetting finding this

Users who are viewing this thread