My Brother's Hyundai Genesis R-Spec Sedan At The Drag Strip

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
This made me do some research. Other than exhaust I couldn't find shit. No tuning. No long tubes. Obviously no power adders or engine parts. That's really unfortunate. I bet that car has a shit ton left on the table.

Is it a 6 speed auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have no aftermarket and if they're anything like the coupes, marginal tuning capabilities.

They seemed expensive to me, the 5.0 being considerably priced to a ctsv. I'd rather have the caddy.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
The Genesis definitely wasn't cheap, but didn't a 2012 CTS-V start at like $65,000?

Last edited:

Heuristic

Established Member
I'm not sure what the gains are like, but I'm curious if he could crack a 12.99 with the available cold air and catback kits.

He doesn't even need CAI or a CB kit to get in the 12's, just stickier tires and better air will get him well past the 12.9 mark

mavisky

Established Member
This was always my fall back vehicle if the wife didn't approve of my trying to buy the Shelby when my daughter was only 6 months old. Luckily she was ok with the Shelby, but good to see my fallback would have been halfway quick too.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
if hyundai, kia and infiniti have large rwd v8 sedans why doesnt ford? :bash:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The Genesis definitely wasn't cheap, but didn't a 2012 CTS-V start at like $65,000?

I'm seeing 2nd gen CTSV for $35k up, and 2nd gen Gen Sedan 5.0's for the same. You get twice the car with the V, even if you compare like mileage/CPO cars and have to throw in an extra $5k, big whoop. IMO if you are spending $35k+ on something, whats another $5k?

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
I'm seeing 2nd gen CTSV for $35k up, and 2nd gen Gen Sedan 5.0's for the same. You get twice the car with the V, even if you compare like mileage/CPO cars and have to throw in an extra $5k, big whoop. IMO if you are spending $35k+ on something, whats another $5k?

If you're talking about used prices, by brother paid $23,000 for his Genesis. I don't think anyone would argue that the V isn't a better car for a performance enthusiast, but you have to be willing/able to pay.

01FormulaTA

Established Member
[video=youtube_share;y2a0vjHyUCE]http://youtu.be/y2a0vjHyUCE[/video]

Weld in some electric cut outs and they should b good for .2 tenths at the track

Never_Enough

Established Member
I still think Hyundai is ****ing stupid for not putting that motor in the coupe. If the 4200lb sedan is running 13.2 when the 350hp v6 in the coupe with 3500lbs runs 13.5s, that engine in the coupe should've been a no brainer.

Agreed.

That sedan is faster than I thought it would be. Is there even any good aftermarket support, though? The aftermarket for my GC was crapola.

Never_Enough

Established Member

I never heard anyone say Hyundai over a V lol. Same $? Give me the V. Sub $20k for a decent mile R-Spec? I'd have to think about buying one for a DD...even with my hatred for Hyundai after my POS GC.

Never_Enough

Established Member
He doesn't even need CAI or a CB kit to get in the 12's, just stickier tires and better air will get him well past the 12.9 mark

This.

Given current pricing, I'd take another 335xi over this, though. My E90 was in the 12s with just BMS DCI & OTS Cobb AP tune.

Novi357

It's stock...
Established Member
This is why I laugh when people say a mustang can never be a sleeper. That Hyundai sedan is waaaaay faster than a stock foxbody. I had a stock 91 GT convertible with a paxton SN-89 on it and it could barely break 100 in the 1/4.

People seem to forget how slow a stock car was back then. Hell, today's minivans can outrun a stock foxbody.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
[video=youtube_share;y2a0vjHyUCE]http://youtu.be/y2a0vjHyUCE[/video]

Weld in some electric cut outs and they should b good for .2 tenths at the track

Cutouts are probably a good idea for a nice, inexpensive little bump at the track with no drivability issues.

This is why I laugh when people say a mustang can never be a sleeper. That Hyundai sedan is waaaaay faster than a stock foxbody. I had a stock 91 GT convertible with a paxton SN-89 on it and it could barely break 100 in the 1/4.

People seem to forget how slow a stock car was back then. Hell, today's minivans can outrun a stock foxbody.

It's both awesome and a little depressing how fast cars have gotten right from the factory lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread