My Brother's Hyundai Genesis R-Spec Sedan At The Drag Strip

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
My brother recently moved to Florida and decided to get a RWD daily. He sold his 2007 Acura TL S-Type, which was a great car, especially in the snow and was very fun, and picked up a 2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec. It's all stock, rated 429 horsepower and 376 torque, but definitely no race car at over 4200 lbs.

[
image_31.jpg

image_32.jpg

[video=youtube;qKeBfJ9bDNs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKeBfJ9bDNs[/video]

It ended up running faster than we expected. His first pass was his best. Car #10:

image_34.jpg

Best mph:

image_35.jpg

Best 60':

image_36.jpg

Not sure if he's going to mod it or not at this point, but either way it's a fun car and a big step up performance-wise from his Acura.

image_33.jpg

Last edited:

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Thats damn impressive!! Especially if the da wasn't at sea level or above. Thats nearly identical power to weight ratio as the 6.1 srt charger and runs right on par with it. Its right in the mix with the previous gen stock muscle cars. Good looking car too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Cool, faster than I would of thought. If it would leave a little harder it could end up in the 12s fo sho!

Faster than we expected too. I'm curious if tires will help. He said he was launching about as hard as he could, and he did spin a couple runs, so there may be some more in it with tires, but it might also be about maxed out without mods to make it leave harder.

Thats damn impressive!! Especially if the da wasn't at sea level or above. Thats nearly identical power to weight ratio as the 6.1 srt charger and runs right on par with it. Its right in the mix with the previous gen stock muscle cars. Good looking car too!

I think the DA was about 1600 based on what I saw online. Definitely a lot faster than my G8 was stock in zero DA.

When he first got to the track he sent me a picture of a pair of Challenger RT's and said they were his competition, but I think they ended up running 13.7's or so.

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Look like a hell of a bracket racer. Jesus that thing is consistent.

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Faster than we expected too. I'm curious if tires will help. He said he was launching about as hard as he could, and he did spin a couple runs, so there may be some more in it with tires, but it might also be about maxed out without mods to make it leave harder.

I think the DA was about 1600 based on what I saw online. Definitely a lot faster than my G8 was stock in zero DA.

When he first got to the track he sent me a picture of a pair of Challenger RT's and said they were his competition, but I think they ended up running 13.7's or so.

If the 1600' DA is correct then it'll be close to 12's just with better air. Tires may help but add a stall and tires then you would have something ;) (just a joke obviously about the stall)

01FormulaTA

Established Member
I test drove one of these a while back...they have an impressively smooth driveline...their 5.0 is no slouch

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I raced one when I had my 07 GT. They definitely will catch you off guard if you don't know what motor they have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
OP - Genesis R-Spec is a lot of car for the money! I strongly considered one, but ended up with my MKS because of the AWD and a little work it can run 12's.

is there much aftermarket support for the 5.0 ?

Last I checked, there wasn't much.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
is there much aftermarket support for the 5.0 ?

I believe they make air intake kits, headers, exhaust type stuff, but I'm not sure beyond that. Also not sure what's available for tuning.

I raced one when I had my 07 GT. They definitely will catch you off guard if you don't know what motor they have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thing would have slapped around several of my previous rides and left me scratching my head lol.

Time for some FI. How strong are those motors?

Good question on what the engine can handle. I'm sure he won't go too crazy, being his daily, but I bet a 75 shot would pick up nicely and the bottle would last lol.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I still think Hyundai is ****ing stupid for not putting that motor in the coupe. If the 4200lb sedan is running 13.2 when the 350hp v6 in the coupe with 3500lbs runs 13.5s, that engine in the coupe should've been a no brainer.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
I agree, that engine in the coupe would have made one badass ride. Hell, even the 4.6 wouldn't be bad.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
This made me do some research. Other than exhaust I couldn't find shit. No tuning. No long tubes. Obviously no power adders or engine parts. That's really unfortunate. I bet that car has a shit ton left on the table.

Is it a 6 speed auto?

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
This made me do some research. Other than exhaust I couldn't find shit. No tuning. No long tubes. Obviously no power adders or engine parts. That's really unfortunate. I bet that car has a shit ton left on the table.

Is it a 6 speed auto?

Yeah, I can't find them either for it. When he first got it he told me they make headers, but maybe he was looking at the V6 headers without realizing it. It's too bad, I hate to see a nice performance platform go by the wayside due to a lack of aftermarket support.

The transmission is an 8-speed auto.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Yeah, I can't find them either for it. When he first got it he told me they make headers, but maybe he was looking at the V6 headers without realizing it. It's too bad, I hate to see a nice performance platform go by the wayside due to a lack of aftermarket support.

The transmission is an 8-speed auto.

Wow!! I was pricing them. Higher mileage were upper teens. Thats one hell of a bargain.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
I'm not sure what the gains are like, but I'm curious if he could crack a 12.99 with the available cold air and catback kits.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Nice! I've always wondered about these 5.0 Hyundai's but I've never seen any in person or really heard of people talking about them. What is the 5.0 based off of if anything? Is it a DOHC like the coyote?

Users who are viewing this thread