My Bassani impressions.

skstang

Established Member
Let me start off by saying, I wasnt looking to gain gobs of H.P. I did want to get a more agressive sound. I installed the X-pipe w/cats and catback in around two hours. Good thing I had a two foot extension for the header bolts. I have to say it was a pretty
easy install and I was working under ramps only.
I have to say I dont think I gained any H.P. It even feels a little slower at low RPM'S. I am very dissatisfied with that aspect. As far as the sound goes- Oh my god what a difference. I didnt like the sound with the baffles in so out they came. With the baffles in it was just to poppy for me. Sounds dare I say it a little ricey. This is a very loud setup in my opinion. There is also a slight droan at 2000RPM. All in all would I do it again. No not for $1100. Maybe catback is a little more quiet but I dont see getting more H.P. out of it. It is taking allot of getting used to the shift points again because of the sound difference. This may be where I am having a problem with performance. I used to have to crank it up to about 3500RPM to get good sound out of the old setup and not so with this. This car seems to really have good days and bad days. Never know which one it's gonna be. I t doesnt really depend on weather conditions either. Any thoughts on H.P. feel is appreciated.

haskett

Established Member
I'm noticing a trend in exhaust "upgrades" not doing much for power....

Does anyone remember all of the reports in the magazines and from Paul's High Performance on the huge power gains to be had by simply changing exhaust ? Was I dreaming ? Was this just people getting caught up in the excitement, or are there dyno-proven substantial gains to be had ?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by haskett
I'm noticing a trend in exhaust "upgrades" not doing much for power....

Does anyone remember all of the reports in the magazines and from Paul's High Performance on the huge power gains to be had by simply changing exhaust ? Was I dreaming ? Was this just people getting caught up in the excitement, or are there dyno-proven substantial gains to be had ?

I think the guys on the board with the most HP all have exhaust. What I think is, it is very easy to get these cars in the 430-450 rwhp range (using a pulley and chip or exhaust and a chip), but after that it gets a little tougher.
Oddly enough the chip with the pulley and new exhaust doesn't seem to worth all that much over the chip with just one (the pulley or the exhaust).

I think it is the HP limititaion of the M-112. A couple of guys have made it close to 500 rwhp, not sure what their secret is.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by skstang
...snip...

Any thoughts on H.P. feel is appreciated.

What other mods do you have?

I got 18.4 RWHP gain and much stronger feel in the sweetspot from 3900 rpm up.
My printouts show 15 RWTQ loss at 2600rpm but 20 RWTQ gain at 6100 with my Bassani system. The HP gains kick in around 4600 rpm and climb straight to redline.

We definetly differ on opinions about the sound of the system, baffles in is perfect to me. I prefer popping/gurgling on deceleration to drone any day.:shrug:

As I recall 3500RPM with the old system was still barely audible, only could tell by the pull of the car if any tunes were on or traffic around.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I have to say I don’t think I gained any H.P. It even feels a little slower at low RPM'S. I am very dissatisfied with that aspect.

You are confusing HP and Torque. When you go to a less restrictive exhaust system you are going to most definitely loss Torque at low RPM. SOP feel is usually Torque more then HP. You need to dyno your car to really find out if you made or loss HP the average is a gain of 20 rwhp for an exhaust on a 03 Cobra. btw SOP feel my 95 Cobra was faster then my 03 Cobra I had to go have it dyno'd because I swore it was not making power. There are a few people in this forum that I follow and believe and Postban is one of them and he states an increased 18.4 RWHP and 0.8 RWTQ after the Bassani exhaust.

HP is a calculation based on Torque. To find out HP use the following calculations HP=(2*pi*Torque*RPM)/33,000 or simplified HP=(Torque*RPM)/5252. So losing 1 ft. lbs. of Torque at say 2626 RPM only actually equals 1/2 HP where as 1 ft. lbs. or Torque at 5252 is 1 HP. This is straight HP not taking into account corrected HP. Also remember when somebody say my car dynos 470 rwhp that is the peak horsepower and our cars usually make it around 6400 rpm you are not always making 470 rwhp it is a curve. This also explains why 3.0 liter Formula One engines make upwards of 850 hp they are doing it at up to 18,500 rpm.

jtfx6552 if you put a pulley on our cars you need to use a chip whether or not it increases your actual power. The chip recalibrates your car so you don't blow up your engine. There is no trick btw several upgrades are dependent on others for major gains and sometimes they may not provide allot or can sometimes cost you power, but when well matched together you get a major power gain.

I hope this helps.

sn8kbite

Established Member
I installed the complete bassani exhaust also,however i used the bassani offroad x-pipe with NO convertors.
Although the setup sounded like royal crap,it increased overall horsepower dramatically.I didnt need to stick it on a dyno to tell there was a drastic increase in power.
On the otherhand the chip netted me absolutely ZERO increase in horsepower as far as i can tell in fact im having all sorts of problems now that i wasnt having prior to the superchip.
However to date problem still unresolved i can tell you based on my experience the chip does not gain you any seat of the pants measurable horsepower and it certainly doesnt net you anywhere near the claimed 15 to 25 horsepower everyone claims when advertising the things.
If i get the problems sorted out and have a change of opinion i will certainly post it here.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u

jtfx6552 if you put a pulley on our cars you need to use a chip whether or not it increases your actual power. The chip recalibrates your car so you don't blow up your engine. There is no trick btw several upgrades are dependent on others for major gains and sometimes they may not provide allot or can sometimes cost you power, but when well matched together you get a major power gain.

I hope this helps.

Isn't that what I said??
Originally posted by jtfx6552 [/i ] I think the guys on the board with the most HP all have exhaust. What I think is, it is very easy to get these cars in the 430-450 rwhp range (using a pulley and chip or exhaust and a chip), but after that it gets a little tougher.

Using a pulley and chip or exhaust and chip.. either thing with a chip...Either thing with a chip gets you 430-440 to RWHP.

Using both things with a chip gets you to 440-450 RWHP.

I was pointing out how it doesn't add up, unfortunatly. I. E. 50 hp from a pully and a chip + 50 hp from exhaust and a chip, should give 100 HP?, but it doesn't.

Except for 1 or 2 guys who somehow got to 490+RWHP, not sure what their secret is.

Sorry if I was confusing.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by sn8kbite
I installed the complete bassani exhaust also,however i used the bassani offroad x-pipe with NO convertors.
Although the setup sounded like royal crap,it increased overall horsepower dramatically.I didnt need to stick it on a dyno to tell there was a drastic increase in power.
On the otherhand the chip netted me absolutely ZERO increase in horsepower as far as i can tell in fact im having all sorts of problems now that i wasnt having prior to the superchip.
However to date problem still unresolved i can tell you based on my experience the chip does not gain you any seat of the pants measurable horsepower and it certainly doesnt net you anywhere near the claimed 15 to 25 horsepower everyone claims when advertising the things.
If i get the problems sorted out and have a change of opinion i will certainly post it here.

Sn8kbyte, I take it you have the stock pulley? I only have experience with chip vs no chip with the L pulley But, My chip (which is not a superchip) did wonders for my car. It didn't increase peak hp all that much (because the stock computer with the L pulley happens to cross the proper a/f ratio on it's way from too lean to too rich at about the rpm that the car makes peak HP), but it did give me about 100 ft*lbs at 2500 RPM. You can definatly feel 100 ft*lbs. I have no driveability or stalling problems.

There are some guys on this board with the Amazon Racing Diablo with the stock pulley who can chime in with their results.

My dyno curves are here:
http://users.rcn.com/drfunky/pages/DynoSheets.html
Note graphs 2 and 3 which compare the L pulley with no chip vs the L pulley with a chip.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
many of the people running close to 500hp also have longtube headers, a 2.80 pulley (smaller than the L), offroad exhaust (as opposed to catalytic converters), cold air intakes, and perhaps a more aggressive tune. Subtle differences between the two cars, but obviously makes good for substantially more horsepower over the other.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Back to the topic of the thread....For those still undecided about which system to get, I wanted to say that I have seen the dyno results for the Magnaflow system. If you're looking for good torque gains across the entire rpm range, this may be the system for you (and me - I just ordered one!) You could do a search on Magnaflow, but one guy tested his and got 14 ft-lbs and 25 rwhp from their cat-back system! Best of all, you can get this system for only $380 from Full Line Exhaust, shipped!

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552

My dyno curves are here:
http://users.rcn.com/drfunky/pages/DynoSheets.html
Note graphs 2 and 3 which compare the L pulley with no chip vs the L pulley with a chip.

JT, your A/F curves are kinda scary as well. Your kissing 13.0:1 at torque peak and you never get under 12.0:1. The only good one I saw was by UPR (I think) and Reith Autosports.. JDM I'm sure has a good one but I don't remember seeing it.. Thoughts?

Jerry

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
The way i have understood everything that i have been told and read is that. These car were restricted(through the exhaust) for economy reasons. Now if you put a full exhaust system on you will have a gain but a minimal one be cause you are only allowing the car to breath. Now if you add a chip and or pulley you will force more into the car making it breath more. So the way i see it

A+B+C=HP
C P E
H U X
I L H
P L A
E U
Y S
T

Thats just my understanding.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by rfat16

A+B+C=HP
C P E
H U X
I L H
P L A
E U
Y S
T

That looks different posted! I was like WTF! And then I looked again and saw chip pulley exhaust.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I will give you guys some dyno results when my 03 bassani cat'd X and catback get here. My car laid down 390rwhp with the drop in K&N and silencer removed.

I also plan on doing postban's air box mod.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Well I added the Bassani cat-back, drove it for 2 weeks, then got the X added today. Here's what the butt-o-meter says:

Cat Back- very nice increase in throttle response, very noticable, seemed to rev faster, crappy blat-blat Flowmaster kinda sound but it got better over time, definate increase in gas mileage.

Cat Pipe added- a little early to tell, but im pretty sure I lost some torque below midrange, noticed several times that it seems to rev very quickly, almost like a gear change. Sound is 1000% better- now THAT'S the bassani sound i was looking for, very sweet... makes you want to drive around in 3rd gear all the time.

I did 389rwhp with just Moble1, a K&N and no silencer last week on the baseline dyno run. Adding UPR intake, JDM flip chip, Redline in the coolent return and L pulley this week/end. New dyno run next week to see what everything added.

MORTGAGEMAN

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Let me tell you what I have done with my car because I have tried to make one simple change at once instead of changing too much and not knowing what has done what. Please remember that you need to start with a goal in mind then work to it. When I got my car I took it to Maple Grove raceway. $20 for a night of runs is cheaper than a dyno run and all you need to do is check your mph at top end and you know RWHP. I baselined the car with no mods infact I got 21 runs on one friday night test all be it that they were hot lapping the car it was still great for me to learn the 03 style. the best I could go with adjusted altitude of over 2000 feet was 13.11 at 110.81. I was a little upset because I thought the car should have been in the twelves out of the box and provided it would not have been 97-98 degrees and hot laps it may well have been. The next week I changed the air intake system and added the diablo chip provided from Rick at Amazon Racing. (AmazonRacing.com) These mods took me all of an hour to do AND Rick was very helpfully explaining them so I had all the parts prepared. So I made the five minute treck to Maple Grove and ran a best of 12.76. Same weather conditions and AA. This time my MPH was up to 112.31. A gain of about 15 Real world horses. This made the car perfect for daily driving conditions.
I would have let well enough alone but the car was too quiet so I call Rick at amazon again and this time he suggested the mac 3" cat back exhaust. So this week efter spending about 45 minutes installing the exhaust which I must say fits perfectly. I made the treck to maple grove. this time the weather had dirastically changed it was 60 degrees and the AA was around 1000'. I was stoked I thought It was going to fly. Well it did but not in e.t.
See the 3" has really changed the way the car builds rpm. before i would leave the line around 2000rpm and let the car bog then it would recover well it takes it too long since all my plugged up eaton torque has been uncorked. I tried three time til I learned my lesson that i have to drive this car as aggressively now as i did my kenne bell m/t slicks car. I did and my best time was 12.53 at 115.14 so if you are looking at the top end of the track my cat back only gave me 30 real world horses. but the e.t only improved by .23. i think that the car is able to do a 12.25 to 12.30 with my driving the car to 60 feet being improved. I am very satisfied how the car runs now on the street it is perfect. also at the track before i was shifting at 6000 last night i changed that to 6500 for the last two runs that may have alot to do with the et on earlier runs. i can tell you one thing about these cars for any of you that are concerned about them stalling. They are by far the fastest quickest best road habdling car ever to come from the factory for less than 35,000. If you dont believe me let me take you for a ride on some back pennsylvanie roads. this is the truest balanced car i've ever driven and it run 12.53. what more do you want. THANKS TO FORD AND TO RICK AT AMAZON.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk

JT, your A/F curves are kinda scary as well. Your kissing 13.0:1 at torque peak and you never get under 12.0:1. The only good one I saw was by UPR (I think) and Reith Autosports.. JDM I'm sure has a good one but I don't remember seeing it.. Thoughts?

Jerry

I have some other pulls I should post. I have dyno'ed the car on 3 different days now, and each time the a/f curve is a little different. Last pulls show about 11-11.5:1 straight across.
That pull you refer to, was right after the "no chip" run and I think the computers need a few miles to adapt. The car is running much fatter now.
JT

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Cool, I"m happy to hear that, enjoy! :)

Originally posted by jtfx6552

I have some other pulls I should post. I have dyno'ed the car on 3 different days now, and each time the a/f curve is a little different. Last pulls show about 11-11.5:1 straight across.
That pull you refer to, was right after the "no chip" run and I think the computers need a few miles to adapt. The car is running much fatter now.
JT

Users who are viewing this thread