My Apten review....

Slobra

Established Member
Well after driving the car yesterday with the new belt, here is my review on the Apten...

First part. The install.. I come from about 3 years of working on LS1/LT1 cars so I'm used to having to stick my arms under the dask to get to the back of the intake. I've lost a lot of blood and skin on those damn f-bodies. :D When starting on the cobra, everything was right there and easy to get to. I had everything off the car in about an hour and 15 mins (except for the actually blower since you need 2 people to unbolt the coolant lines). Once the blower was out, I broke just 1 bolt from the IC. I think it was Postban that said to heat up the bolts with a propane torch.. This worked like a charm. While installing the IC back to the Apten, I broke one of their bolts they sent back since my friend set the TQ wrench wrong. No biggie, a local shop just charged me 10 bucks to get it out.. Last friday I got the blower back in the car and just had the TB left to bolt up when my mom called me around 8pm to let me know the server at work went down...Since we were leaving at 6AM on saturday to head to Florida I had to stop work on the car and go fix the server. :cuss:
Got back home, bolted the TB up and my gatorback belt wasnt in yet so I put the stocker back on.
Now it was time for the chip install. That thing was harder to get out than the blower. One part was because I had to lay across the driver seat and center console to get to it since I couldn't open the passenger door. Got late so I went to bed since we were leaving in the morning.....

Got home on Tuesday, finished putting everything back together and started it up... I let it run for a few mins and filled the coolant level back up and decided to take it around the block..

First drive.... holy b jesus, it's a new car. My old LS1 had 440-450rwhp so I personally thought the cobra in stock form was rather slow. It felt to me that it fell flat on its face in 3rd gear. Not anymore... Now this was with the stock belt on a 2.93 pulley so it was slipping pretty bad. I only drove it a mile or 2 then came back home..

2nd drive. Put my gatorback belt on, much tighter fit... The car sounds completely different with that belt. With just a little press on the gas, it whistles. :) Took it out on the main street, hammered it and the car was all over the road. Got up to about 40-50mph in 2nd and gunned it, it broke the tires loose right off as well. I haven't taken it out on the freeway yet so the fastest I have probably gotten to has only been about 60-65mph.

:bowdown: Apten....

03COBRAman

Established Member
Sounds awesome, hopefully by the end of the summer I will have one on my car. I am pretty sure that I am going with the polished, I think that it looks good. Please post dyno #'s if you are going to have it done.

CountySoldier

500 RWHP SVT COBRA
Established Member
I have heard that Apten is now located in Cincinatti? Any truth to this? I wan't to get Apten upgrade but want to keep my orig blower...Cincinatti is only 1.5hrs away. I would like to go there myself.

akaeric

Established Member
Just with a Apten chip I could hear my stock blower wine at low speeds. I like the polished one two but I don't know if I could install it my self and I don't have any help but I just got through looking at it. I just pulled my Apten chip out to try the Predator again. I don't hear my SC any more there is some thing they do with there tunes. Secound the chip performced didn't kick in until 3rd and hold on at that point. I'm starting to miss the coupe I can feel what the weight is doing to the performance. The vert is fun in good weather though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Another satisfied Apten customer! Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it. I got on it in first gear for the first time today since installing my Apten blower and it was unreal. Man did I get slammed into the seat back. Never had that happen before this mod.

Tomorrow I swap on my new 2.80" pulley and then on the 25th I get my SCT dyno tune. More fun to come! :)

Users who are viewing this thread