My 93 fox vs. 02 SS camaro

ich1baN

Established Member
ElGato said:
That trick flow dealy will give you about 50 more hp. Just lengthen the injector pulse another millisecond, tune the nos timer and you'll run 9s. :burnout:

Its hard for me to get all these expensive mods, b/c im only 18 and still in school so whenever i get the chance im goin to get that setup. Yes i have a job but its paying me $6.50 an hour and school gets in the way for the cash flow. But anyways Elgato, did you have this setup on perhaps your old 5.0 ?

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
I grew up with the 5.0, everyone else on my team had fox bodys. (I run the Windsor with the TFS heads... you'll love the difference...)

If I were you, with money being tight, I'd get 3.73's. Gears will wake that GT up like no tommorrow... IMO, and I'm not alone, gears are the best bang for the buck...

Good luck, make us proud!

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Nice writeup..

300bhp/ton said:
Basically everythiing. The LS1 is as different from the LT1 as the 4.6 mod motor is from the 302.

It just happens that the LS1 is a push rod OHV motor of 5.7 litres but that's as far as simularity goes.

The LT1 (and LT4 variant) is a very good engine, and in reality is probably the best variant of the traditional 350 SBC. They can make very good power, but they generally require a lot more work and IMO are probably not as fuel efficent and probably have worse emissions along with being heavier.

The LSx (LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7) is a totally new generation of engine. And it is certainly one of the best performance engines of recent time, possibly anytime.

The LS1 produces good HP in stock trim (all of them ~345bhp) and they respond very to mods. And they can acheive a very good specific output, much higher than is typically possible for a road going OHV engine.

430rwhp n/a and streetable is perfectly doable and emissions legal. This is going to be somewhere near 500bhp at the engine. Giving (500 / 5.7) a specific output of 87.8bhp/litre. It's still not upto the standards of many DOHC engines in terms of specific output where they can often get to 100bhp/litre and still remain very streetable (such as TVR's 4.0 S6 with 406bhp). IMO if you are looking at getting an Fbody then unless a major engine swap is in mind get the LS1 - it is a world class engine.

But don't rule out the Mustang either, many don't like the 4.6 mod motor, but in reality it is very very capable.

The SOHC 2v unit is a bit of pig, but that's mostly due to the heads/valves. With a little forced induction (just another form of displacement increase - more air and fuel = bigger bang) and the correct setup they will make very good power.

The DOHC variant is truly another world class engine, very very capable and pretty decent in n/a form. It won't match an LS1 in BHP due to having a smaller capcity but on the right setup you should be able to see 90+bhp/litre n/a and streetable, 414bhp+. So it's possible to get very close.

Most people tend not to go down this route though and go with a little FI instead. So it's all about chossing the right mods for the application.

ich1baN

Established Member
ElGato said:
I grew up with the 5.0, everyone else on my team had fox bodys. (I run the Windsor with the TFS heads... you'll love the difference...)

If I were you, with money being tight, I'd get 3.73's. Gears will wake that GT up like no tommorrow... IMO, and I'm not alone, gears are the best bang for the buck...

Good luck, make us proud!

Thanks el gato, and thanks to all, once i get my digital camera set up i will get you guys some pics, it was just recently painted factory color, midnight blue 2-tone with silver on bottom. :coolman:

2001stripper

Established Member
impulsive1 said:
I have an '02 Z28 and went hi 12s with a catback, airlid and some sticky tires in an auto with 3.23s. I doubt your 5.0 would run that, but if it was a stick car you raced maybe he was a $hitty driver. Anyways....a win is a win so good run.

Nice running Z. Where did you run your high-12's?

slow trans am

i own a 6spd lt1. when i was stock i beat plenty of foxes along with 2 98 cobras. your mods aren't even enough to keep up wiht a properly driven lt1 let alone a ls1. you also mentioned it was a new one because of the wing. there the same, there a settle difference wiht the tailights, but the front end is the dead give away. it was probly a auto 2:73 lt1 not running right.

good race, anything is possible on the streets.

doodad

Banned
hondah8ter said:
i own a 6spd lt1. when i was stock i beat plenty of foxes along with 2 98 cobras. your mods aren't even enough to keep up wiht a properly driven lt1 let alone a ls1. you also mentioned it was a new one because of the wing. there the same, there a settle difference wiht the tailights, but the front end is the dead give away. it was probly a auto 2:73 lt1 not running right.

good race, anything is possible on the streets.

+1:).. l agree

WDW MKR

Established Member
Slow Vette said:
while u were at the light next to him, did u see if his headlights were exposed? because the LT1's have them hidden. btw nice run

LT1 SS Camaros ('96-97) do not have hidden headlights. Actually, no Camaro has had hidden headlights since the 60s rally package.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Nino S said:
I am pretty sure the Lt1 was in the early 90 (94?) to 97 or 98 camaros and they put out 305 hp I think, and the LS1 is in the 98-up camaros and corvettes. I know the LS1 in a stock C5 vette is rated at 350 hp but not totally sure about the camaros. I think a 02 SS is 345hp

LT1 F-body cars ran 1993-1997. LS1 F-body cars ran 1998-2002. The F-body LT1 in the was rated at 275bhp 1993-1995, and 285bhp 1996-1997.

WDW MKR

Established Member
ich1baN said:
snip... This was kinda strange, ive never raced an SS camaro before and I could tell it was a newer one by the wing and body style. It also seemed to have exhaust done to it. It had some type of quad exhaust. ...snip

If the four tips were in the center of the rear valance, that came factory.

Users who are viewing this thread