My 93 fox vs. 02 SS camaro

ich1baN

Established Member
This was kinda strange, ive never raced an SS camaro before and I could tell it was a newer one by the wing and body style. It also seemed to have exhaust done to it. It had some type of quad exhaust. But Monday (Feb 13) i was coming home from my girlfriends and this asshole in a honda accord was tailgating me for a while so i got pissed and pulled next to him at a stop light. Just to make him mad i let him get away a little bit and then i would whiz by slow down for him whiz by and i did that like 3 more times cause he was one of those dumbasses that puts a fart can on his car and he thinks its fast. But anyways to the SS camaro story. Right after i was done with that honda *** an SS camaro pulls in front of me and we are both stopped at a double lane left turn light onto a double lane road. Im sitting there thinking im about to get slaughtered. However the light turns green to turn left
and right as soon as we both were straight we punched it starting at about 15 or 20 mph and ending at about 75 mph. 1st gear he was half a car length 2nd gear same and 3rd gear i started pulling on him and it was fender to fender. Then we hit traffic so we had to slow down and he pulled off and turned away and i did too just to be safe in case of cops. My mods are Mac CAI, BBK Offroad H pipe, BBK headers, BBK underdrive pulley, and 327 gears all on my 93 GT. Someone tell me what you think ?
Thank you, Dan

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
umm yeah. Nice run but I don't think it truly represents what a late model LS1 is capable of.

Did you see the front of the SS as that's the easiest way to tell a LS1 from an LT1.

If not I would guess they might only have been toying with you as the LS1's don't really slow down that much until about 140mph.

What sort of rwhp and ET's is your 5.0 making?

bssmith1220

Established Member
I had a 93 with almost those same mods, and I would have never came close to running with a SS. Maybe it was an auto, or he couldn't drive?

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Dan,

I think you're putting out 250hpMAX with those mods. Those 3.27s are hamstringing what could be a mid 13sec GT.

I fear the LS1...almost as much as I fear....

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Slow Vette

Highway Junkie
Established Member
while u were at the light next to him, did u see if his headlights were exposed? because the LT1's have them hidden. btw nice run

ich1baN

Established Member
All i remember is his car was loud as hell and it was an SS. Didnt really get a good look at the headlights, I was sitting there soiling my pants thinking I was going to get left. As of what gear he started in, i dunno. All i remember of that car was how loud it was and it was a newer body style.

ich1baN

Established Member
Cahill00SS said:

He must have started in 3rd or 4th b/c this was no fake, I would have just left a v6 behind, it wouldnt pull a half a car ahead of me like that.

BPLS1

Established Member
I doubt it was a 02 LS1, i have a 99 Z28 and i have had a good run with a friends 93 gt with H/C/I full bolt ons, gears and DR. so i doubt u would run with a 02 SS with your limited mods but anything can happen on the streets

ich1baN

Established Member
BPLS1 said:
I doubt it was a 02 LS1, i have a 99 Z28 and i have had a good run with a friends 93 gt with H/C/I full bolt ons, gears and DR. so i doubt u would run with a 02 SS with your limited mods but anything can happen on the streets

What type of H/c did your buddy have, and what was the gear size ?

BPLS1

Established Member
umm i think he had 373 gears, and i think victor Heads or something :shrug: i am not sure to tell u the true, his cam was pretty loppey though, it sounded Bad ass and we were pretty even most times we raced :thumbsup: . i also have a friend with a 90 gt that runs constant 7s in the 1/8th. he has a 347 with cam and full bolt ons

ich1baN

Established Member
Im thinking about going with the Trickflow Stage II setup, which comes with allum. heads, cam, and 1.6" roller rocker arms.

And for the other guy that mentioned the Lt1 and LS1, i know the Ls1 is the better motor but what is the difference ?

Nino S

Established Member
I am pretty sure the Lt1 was in the early 90 (94?) to 97 or 98 camaros and they put out 305 hp I think, and the LS1 is in the 98-up camaros and corvettes. I know the LS1 in a stock C5 vette is rated at 350 hp but not totally sure about the camaros. I think a 02 SS is 345hp

Slow Vette

Highway Junkie
Established Member
Nino S said:
I am pretty sure the Lt1 was in the early 90 (94?) to 97 or 98 camaros and they put out 305 hp I think, and the LS1 is in the 98-up camaros and corvettes. I know the LS1 in a stock C5 vette is rated at 350 hp but not totally sure about the camaros. I think a 02 SS is 345hp

AN LS1 IS AN LS1, some dyno higher some lower, but typically the ls1's dyno anywhere from 280-330 (A4 and M6). the only difference there probably is, are the exhaust manifolds and the ws6's ram air configuration. oh and the 01+ ls1's came with the ls6 intake manifold.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
ich1baN said:
And for the other guy that mentioned the Lt1 and LS1, i know the Ls1 is the better motor but what is the difference ?
Basically everythiing. The LS1 is as different from the LT1 as the 4.6 mod motor is from the 302.

It just happens that the LS1 is a push rod OHV motor of 5.7 litres but that's as far as simularity goes.

The LT1 (and LT4 variant) is a very good engine, and in reality is probably the best variant of the traditional 350 SBC. They can make very good power, but they generally require a lot more work and IMO are probably not as fuel efficent and probably have worse emissions along with being heavier.

The LSx (LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7) is a totally new generation of engine. And it is certainly one of the best performance engines of recent time, possibly anytime.

The LS1 produces good HP in stock trim (all of them ~345bhp) and they respond very to mods. And they can acheive a very good specific output, much higher than is typically possible for a road going OHV engine.

430rwhp n/a and streetable is perfectly doable and emissions legal. This is going to be somewhere near 500bhp at the engine. Giving (500 / 5.7) a specific output of 87.8bhp/litre. It's still not upto the standards of many DOHC engines in terms of specific output where they can often get to 100bhp/litre and still remain very streetable (such as TVR's 4.0 S6 with 406bhp). IMO if you are looking at getting an Fbody then unless a major engine swap is in mind get the LS1 - it is a world class engine.

But don't rule out the Mustang either, many don't like the 4.6 mod motor, but in reality it is very very capable.

The SOHC 2v unit is a bit of pig, but that's mostly due to the heads/valves. With a little forced induction (just another form of displacement increase - more air and fuel = bigger bang) and the correct setup they will make very good power.

The DOHC variant is truly another world class engine, very very capable and pretty decent in n/a form. It won't match an LS1 in BHP due to having a smaller capcity but on the right setup you should be able to see 90+bhp/litre n/a and streetable, 414bhp+. So it's possible to get very close.

Most people tend not to go down this route though and go with a little FI instead. So it's all about chossing the right mods for the application.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
ich1baN said:
Im thinking about going with the Trickflow Stage II setup, which comes with allum. heads, cam, and 1.6" roller rocker arms.

That trick flow dealy will give you about 50 more hp. Just lengthen the injector pulse another millisecond, tune the nos timer and you'll run 9s. :burnout:

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
I have an '02 Z28 and went hi 12s with a catback, airlid and some sticky tires in an auto with 3.23s. I doubt your 5.0 would run that, but if it was a stick car you raced maybe he was a $hitty driver. Anyways....a win is a win so good run.

Users who are viewing this thread