my 93 fox vs. 00 Golf Gti ?

ich1baN

Established Member
As i was leaving my g/fs tonight around midnight i came across a silver 00 or so golf gti turbo version. Not exactly sure what year it was but it was a newer one. And i knew it was turbo because of the sppoooshhhhh's. But the route i take home late at night usually finds me a good car to race. This was such a close one i had to post. Once we are done playing a little tag we get lined up at a stoplight. And just as soon as the opposite side is finished turning a cop drives by going the opposite direction. I was hoping he wouldnt hear us take off but he was getting pretty far from us. Then the light turns green and i take a half car jump on him. Then buy the end of third gear we are going about 90 and i am a car and half ahead of him and i give him a thumbs, (vice versa) and i head back home hoping no cop heard us. I think he would have beat me though if he didnt have a passenger. Good props to him keeping up though. Those little volkswagens are definately cooler than the honda ****. Hopefully someone on here has a golf and can help me narrow down the year. Thanks. Dan.

AirForce Hemi

Kenne Bell FTW
Established Member
Good kill! Yeah I have a friend up here who has an 03-04 GTi. I know has alot done to it but not sure what. From what I can see he has FMIC ad BOV. Not sure what else but he does talk up his car. I want to run him and see what it'll do vs my Stang. Anyways Good kill!

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
the 1.8T was avalible from later 00 to the end of the model run in 05. started life as a 150hp motor and was bumped to 180 after 2001. chip tunning reveals another 30hp and then the upgrade path can go multiple routes. they weigh in around 2900-3000lb

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
yep nothing too startling. The only saving grace is the Mk4 Golf isn't as fat and podgy and lacking character as the MK3.

But for a small hatch it's still way too chubby. The 1.8T as said started with 150bhp and was nothing amazing in fact it was particulary dull. 0-60mph was a leisurely 8-9 seconds depending where you read it. At the time the diesel Golf 1.9 TDI was actually faster in gear from 30-70mph!

The 1.8T engine has been used in all the Golf spins off's including the Audi A3 and TT, several SEAT's and Skoda's as well as larger cars like the VW Passat and Audi A6.

The TT had the top of the line version with a rated 225bhp, this is easily acheived from the later 180bhp cars as it's only a chip change pretty much. Being a turbocharged engine more power is always available via boost but the engine lacks displacement and I don't think they are reputed to be that strong either. VW gearboxes are usually junk also.

A 2.0 turbo Evo will easily make 330bhp or 165bhp/litre. I doubt the VW engine will handle this HP as reliably but in the same state of tune it would be making 297bhp.

The only reason it appears fairly fast is it's comparative lightweight. Although if you had 4 poeple in it you'd really know about. Also don't show it any corners or else it will show the true meaning of plough on understeer ;)

The new MK5 Golf is a totally different beast, much better chassis and suspension and has returned to the drivers car of old. It also know has a 2.0 turbo unit.

DrZacharyus

Banned
new ones are heavier and fatter haha, my car pulls mildly modded gt's pretty easy, and i have a fat slow mkiv
transmission suck except for the 02m six speed :thumbsup:
and a couple guys are makin 300-350 whp pretty consistently, one guy made almost 400whp on a stock motor in a jetta...

Last edited:

Droptop99

Established Member
the m6 are junk to let you know. all they people and from what i read for higher hp vw, switch to there 5 speeds.
pulling on mildly modded gt's?? you gotta have more then just bolt ons to beat a relivtivly stock one. you would need at least full exhaust, chip personally i ethier like giac or apr. 93 oct mode, t/b and other little boltons to even beat a stock one?
and all those mods would net only 220 whp if your lucky, thats max for the ko3s turbo.
granit the weight difference is not much at all, thats still about 5-15 rwhp less then a stock gt 5 speed, and not sure on tq though.
lets see your mods before you go and say you pull on midly modded gts, turbo upgrade?

Droptop99

Established Member
im sorry if i come off being rude DRzacaryus. but im int to volkswagon 1.8ts andfind it hard to belive.. only way possible is that i can imagine is they are crappy drivers?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
In the past, DrZach has proven that his car is a force to be reckoned with.

He probably knows what he's talking about.

I'm just sayin' .... ;-)

DrZacharyus

Banned
haha, yeah ive raced my fair share of mustangs, so far ive lost to a gt with motor work (heads and a mild cam), a 97 cobra with boltons + gears and a whippled 03 sonic blue beast lol running 21lbs....but yeah i have a freak gti just FYI, there are a few people on this board who have seen me beat gt's.....and stay with/beat other cars i shouldnt have been close too

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I agree that Dr. Z's VW is a quick car. But pulling on modded GT's 'easily'? I dont' know about that. That would make his VW a mid 13 sec car....at the slowest.

But agian Z, props to your VW....def. a sleeper.

Nice story BTW.

DrZacharyus

Banned
i usually pull away from them pretty easy and a steady pace...my car is trapping around 102-104 right now

yeah i dont wanna hijack this mans thread....good kill on the v-dub OP

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
DrZacharyus said:
i usually pull away from them pretty easy and a steady pace...my car is trapping around 102-104 right now

yeah i dont wanna hijack this mans thread....good kill on the v-dub OP
A stock GT should be trapping anywhere from 98-100mph modded ones should be equal with you easy. So it must be more the driver mod making the diff else it's BS. (that's a compliment on the DRIVER BTW :thumbsup: )

How do you do against LS1's? The slowest 2.73 cars will still trap 103mph stock and the M6's anywhere 106-109mph stock.

Droptop99

Established Member
wow thats the best trap i ever saw from a bolt on 1.8t. more props to yah man.. yea i didnt mean to sound like an a$$ if i did. i just know a little about vw's :)
you have any timeslips though to back the mph up? you still on street tires and a open diff???? whats the et's by the way..

ich1baN

Established Member
No its cool, i like the comments about vws, im learning a lil bit more about these cars. And i like the bio on the 1.8 T from 300 bhp/ton. I seriously thought i was going to get slayed from that car b/c i raced a golf non turbo not too long ago same model and he was 3-4 cars behind me.

DrZacharyus

Banned
i just have my timeslip when i first got a chip and intake trapped 99mph...now i have 3inch downpipe with cutout, turbo inlet pipe, diverter valve, boost controller...ive raced cars that trap around 107 and its not a bad race but i dont wanna sound like a ricer but i will be 100% positive after the new clutch.....
i dont think ive beat the driver in two different cars MANY times in a row and different days lol and im not a great driver either

supeg

Established Member
DrZacharyus said:
i just have my timeslip when i first got a chip and intake trapped 99mph...now i have 3inch downpipe with cutout, turbo inlet pipe, diverter valve, boost controller...ive raced cars that trap around 107 and its not a bad race but i dont wanna sound like a ricer but i will be 100% positive after the new clutch.....
i dont think ive beat the driver in two different cars MANY times in a row and different days lol and im not a great driver either

Have any of these so called "races" been from a stop yet?

Yah thats what I thought. Original Poster raced from a light.

Didn't you run 14.6 at the track?

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
supeg said:
Have any of these so called "races" been from a stop yet?

Yah thats what I thought. Original Poster raced from a light.

Didn't you run 14.6 at the track?
If he is trapping 102-104mph, that's good for a low-mid 14 second 1/4 mile in a FWD car. 14.3s to 14.6s sound right on for that trap speed FWD. But I'm not saying he hasn't beat lightly modded GTs. Last week at the track thier was a 98 GT with a N20 shot, (he said it was a 150 shot, I dunno, He did purge 2 shots 10-15 ft high though) running 14.5s at 99mph. 2 newer SS's running 14.5s at 96 mph. And a LT1 WS6 running 14.4s at 98mph. I will say that from a dig, your deff not pulling easily away from them. From a dig your playing catch up, from a roll you may have the advantage over a Lightly modded V8. So stop bull shitting us. I'm not saying your car is slow, I'm just saying it is no whare near as fast as you say it is. I've bean drag racing saince I was 14 years old, I know what I'm talking about Dr. as well as many other members on SVTP. Just be up front and honest and yuo'll get the respect you want. Don't need to bull shit us.

Last edited:

DrZacharyus

Banned
im not bullshitting, im not that kind of person :-/. i know a lot of people on here are, sorry if you dont believe my stories or what i say but i dont lie im an upfront person..
ive raced a 01 gt with x pipe cat back and intake from a dig and i pulled 2 cars up till 90 and a e46 m3 (the driver ran a 13.1 at 105 at bithlo) and he suprised me i didnt think he was gonna go and by 100 i was at his back bumper pulling back after his 2 car lead on me but then he sprayed 100 shot......he wasnt stock either, some sort of cat-back and a intake + the nitrous...

Users who are viewing this thread