My 5.0L Boss block with 2.9 Whipple build

eaglesnick

Established Member
Hey all the time has come and my car is in the shop and will be under the knife in the next day or 2. I have already received and ordered many of the parts needed. Here is the partial list to this point:
Bare 5.0L Boss block sitting in shop to be built...rotating assembly TBD
2.9 Whipple
McLoed RXT clutch with lightened steel flywheel
1 3/4" Kooks full length headers with 3" catted X-pipe and Bassani full 3" cat-back
Ported heads and cams
JLT high boost CAI
SCT BA300 Mass Air Meter
wrinkle black valve covers
TERMINATOR coil covers

Here is a picture of what's coming out:

MyCobraPics4-12011.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the valve covers and coil covers, will be going to the shop on Friday to drop of some parts and will snap some pictures of more of the components.

Carparts.jpg

Carparts003.jpg

Last edited:

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Very nice! What kind of numbers are you shooting for and which shop is doing the build??

Brutal DSG

Angry Turtle
Established Member
I was patiently waiting for you :beer: I am interested to see the difference's between your build with the Boss block and Al's power level with the standard block. This will be interesting to watch since they seem to be close to the same builds except for the block can't wait to see her on the dyno. Al's car should be on the rollers next week i'll be on vacation so I won't even be there to see or hear the first start. At least my tuner knows his $hit in case there is a problem.

mach1033

Established Member
Your gonna be in the 700 range for sure. I'm dropping my car off on Saturday and I will post numbers then. Looks like you have a bit of a sickness like me lol.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Your gonna be in the 700 range for sure. I'm dropping my car off on Saturday and I will post numbers then. Looks like you have a bit of a sickness like me lol.

Is it really a sickness? :beer:

Looking forward to your numbers!!!

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
well I wish someone would hurry up and get something tuned out so we can see numbers lol subbed :thumbsup:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Big Daddy Man that's a name from the past, good guy,fierce racer one of the originals in Pro 5.0,been around a Longtime!:rockon:

gabe1530

Banned
this is something im going to have to keep my eye on.
ported heads and cams similar to Al's setup?
how much boost, compression and what fuel are you running?

eaglesnick

Established Member
this is something im going to have to keep my eye on.
ported heads and cams similar to Al's setup?
how much boost, compression and what fuel are you running?

Yes, set up will be similar to Al's, the main difference being the block. I will have the 5.0 Boss with a stroker crank. Compression will be very close stock, depending on the dish of the pistons we uses, other than knowing we are installing a stroker crank not sure on the rest of the rotating assembly. Little background my car has a built motor in it now that suffered a failure, so we plan on using the stroker crank in it if it's not damaged and indeed is a stroker crank. Depending on what we find with the crank will determine what pistons and rods will be used. Boost is yet to be determined, my old set up was a 4lb lower and 3.5" on a 2.3 whipple, so we are going to try the same combo and see what boost level that nets us and fuel will be 93 octane. My plan isn't to get the most horsepower possible with the set up but to overbuild and detune for the sake of longevity. The plan is around 675 rwhp with as little timing and boost as possible, prefer having a bit more boost than timing so I can easily change tunes in the event of a dyno day or running with some of the big dogs as opposed to swapping pulleys and belts then loading another tune (if that makes sense).

Here is a dyno sheet of my old setup on a mustang dyno for those who like to look at graphs and numbers

dyno.jpg

And here is the old dyno pull.

th_507c21fd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread