My 2003 Redfire Vert Refresh/Upgrade/Modifications from Stock Thread

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
Guys,
I am almost complete with my modifications and I want to detail it out here. This is for my records but also to let others see what is working, what is not working, isssues, etc...

Approximately 2 years ago I purchased, from this site, my second 2003 Redfire Cobra (sold the other one in 2007). Have not had a sports car since.

This Vert was almost all stock and had about 22,000 on the odometer.
It had:
Cervinis Speedster cover, MMD styling bar, Bassani catback exhaust, Nitto Extreme ZR NT555 P275/40ZR17

Car was in overall very good to excellent shape but I do have 2 paint issues and some dryrotted seals and bushings so... I replaced/installed the following:

Suspention/Rear end/undercarriage
- MM IRS SS/Comp rear grip package - Delrin Upper & Lower Control Arm Bushings, Urethane Differential & Subframe Bushings, IRS Adjustable Tie Rod Kit, Rear Swaybar Endlinks, Low Profile Subframe Bolts, 14mm Subframe bolts
- H & R racing springs with MM ISOs
- Bilstein HD shocks and struts
- MM caster/camber plates and 4 wheel alignment
- MM front Control Arm Urethane Bushings
- Replaced ball joints
- Stiffler FLSC Fit System
- Ford Racing differential cover

Cooling
- Alco Heat exchanger w/fans
- Reisce 170 degree thermostat
- LP Even Flow drivers side head #7,8 cooling mod
- Moroso overflow coolant tank
- flushed and replaced fluid

Engine
- Steig Stage 4 Port
- Home ported TB and plenum (I purchased from a guy on this site)
- ID1050X injectors (Received refund on AUS1000 injectors)
- Metco 4lb lower
- Billetflow 2.76 Redfire upper pulley and idler set
- Gates HD green belt
- New tune (91 and E54)
- All fluids and gaskets except (timing cover)
- Fore L1E Return Fuel system w (2) Walbro 465 pumps (stock rails)
- Replace timing cover gasket
- McCloed RXT clutch, LW flywheel, 26spline input shaft, pilot, pivot, etc...
- MGW shifter
- A/F ratio gauge

Body
- had front bumper repainted :(
- While at shop I had the underside of my hood painted (I removed the hood blanket)

- new problem (1) 5/20 original fuel pump and BAP can not keep up had to leave dyno. Back to shop installed Fore L1E Return Fuel system w (2) Walbro 465 pumps (stock rails)
- new problem (2) 6/2020 - timing cover leaking (repairing now)
- new problem (3) 6/20 - got the car back finally and clutch cant handle the HP. took it back to the shop and installed a McCloed RXT clutch
- new problem (4) 7/20 - now I have the car and I am babying the car getting my clutch engagements in but I am throwing lean codes and random overheat at idle
- new problem 8/20 (5) Scuffed the front bumper by misjudging the distance and height of curb (or new height of my car)

SAE Corrected on 91 - 470rwhp/449rwtq; 14 degrees timing
SAE corrected on E54 - 508rwhp/478rwtq; 18 degrees timing
on a Mustang Dyno 107 degree day ouside.

Coming soon IGL Coating ecocoat quartz+ ceremic coating

Last edited:

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
It has not and will not see rain with me owning it and the previous owner said it had never seen rain.... until the day It was slated to be shipped :(
car-pic-predelivery-to-me.jpg

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
More completed mods to follow of 1st page but I need advise.

Car went to Dynoshop to be tuned today. Phoenix 1000+ elevation and 100+ degree heat already! :(

1st issue - AUS 1000 injectors (data provided would not even allow the car to start). ID 1000 data on hand made it start immediately and we made some tuning progress
2nd issue - wobble on belt tension pulley shredded 1 rib on belt. Cut rib off and tried to continue tune to utilize my tune time.
3rd issue - I have a stock fuel pump (24,601 miles) and a brand new VMP boost a pump. Car had sporadic and/or not enough fuel to continue tune. This was intermittent (seemed to falter more when car was hot). Shut it down for the day with a best pull of 418 HP and about 430 TQ.

Car is back on the trailer headed back to shop.

We assume its the pump goign bad. Do I go just replacement pump or buy/once cry once and get dual pumps? Return or returnless?

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Did you get the ceramic coating yet? Definitely post some pics of that.

Any plans for a blower swap? Fuel system sounds ready

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
Did you get the ceramic coating yet? Definitely post some pics of that.

Any plans for a blower swap? Fuel system sounds ready
Man!!!! No ceramic yet. Still in shop!!! Got it tuned and it developed a timing cover leak. I suppose due to dried out gasket and pushing it on the dyno.
Plan is to pick it up Mon or Tue and then do non engine small stuff till beginning of next summer and the TVS 2.3 then. Its been down since Christmas, i just drove it for 5 minutes in traffic after dyno, and i am dying for the wheel time. Its my relaxation and destress mechanism. Next summer clutch and hopefully some interior stuff, ceramic, and new tires and rims soon!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a great project. Nice mods to date, with more coming. It's coming along nicely. Hope you get lots of seat time this summer. Next summer will be an elevation of fun factor. You're going to love the ceramic coat. I had my G-70 done over a year ago and today it's as slick and glossy as it was when my buddy (a pro detailer) finished it for me.

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
Got car back Thursday after leaking timing cover. Clutch is slipping from the upgraded power. Went with the RXT w lw flywheel.
Hope to have it back within the week.

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
What a great project. Nice mods to date, with more coming. It's coming along nicely. Hope you get lots of seat time this summer. Next summer will be an elevation of fun factor. You're going to love the ceramic coat. I had my G-70 done over a year ago and today it's as slick and glossy as it was when my buddy (a pro detailer) finished it for me.
Thanks! Spent so much, it adds up fast but i have enjoyed doing it my way and getting to choose my mods.

I am in Arizona so summer is the "not drive" time of year. Sept through April is my enjoyment drive time.

Ceramic should still be done within the month.

03cobra_keek

Established Member
Same thing happened to me with the rain. Previous owner never drove it in the rain and the day I went to pick it up it rained on the way back 8hr drive on an open trailer. Washed the next day! And hasn't seen rain since

03cobra_keek

Established Member
Same thing happened to me with the rain. Previous owner never drove it in the rain and the day I went to pick it up it rained on the way back 8hr drive on an open trailer. Washed the next day! And hasn't seen rain since

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
See my other post for lean code issues!!
Also what is the fix for super hard to open Moroso coolant exp lid? It is next to impossible to get open when car is cold in order to check the fluid.

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
Got a good price on it and at 91 octane my research says ill get the most power with the TVS 2.3.
Very few E85 stations and they have contamination issues. I tuned to E54 as there are many stations but the consistency just is not there and my car seems to have 0 forgiveness up or down more than about a point. As a result, 91only now and 91+ boostane in my TVS future.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread