My 2001 V6 Coupe Build Thus Far

Swift

Established Member
Oh man, everything looks amazing! When you did the IRS swap did you do anything to it and was it difficult to do?

Sent from my GDI turbo Mustang
Thanks! I didn't do anything to it, other than pop a pinion seal in it, and put fresh fluid in it. But when I got it, it already had energy diff mount bushings and a billetflow brace. Probably the easiest thing I've ever done. The cradle bolted straight up to the factory mounting locations that I didn't even know were there, swapped rubber brake lines, and used the factory GT driveshaft. You could probably do the whole swap in an hour.
no pig there and no lipstick needed!!! even without the front fenders, clean and looking good. can't wait to see it totally done.

Thank you brother! I can't wait either!

Swift

Established Member
Found out why I had no lights also. Through a certain amount of googling I traced the problem back to the multifunction switch in the column. Went to go check it out expecting to replace the switch. Nope, it was unplugged as shit. Works great now!

sonicdan

Established Member
That'll do it! lol

Did you manage to keep your stock e-brake cables? Everywhere I read said I would need to procure cobra ebrake cables for the swap.

I took the ratchet assembly apart in the car, climbed underneath and hooked up the cables to the calipers, then put the ratchet assembly back together and adjusted for the shorter cables. Works fine, and no drag.

Just a heads up in case you haven't crossed this bridge yet.

Swift

Established Member
That'll do it! lol

Did you manage to keep your stock e-brake cables? Everywhere I read said I would need to procure cobra ebrake cables for the swap.

I took the ratchet assembly apart in the car, climbed underneath and hooked up the cables to the calipers, then put the ratchet assembly back together and adjusted for the shorter cables. Works fine, and no drag.

Just a heads up in case you haven't crossed this bridge yet.
When I bought the IRS it came with the set of cables so I just went ahead and used those, since they had the correct tabs for bolting them to the trailing arms already. Everything went together nice and easy! (as easy as spring loaded mustang e-brake cables possibly could LOL)

sonicdan

Established Member
When I bought the IRS it came with the set of cables so I just went ahead and used those, since they had the correct tabs for bolting them to the trailing arms already. Everything went together nice and easy! (as easy as spring loaded mustang e-brake cables possibly could LOL)

You did better than me! Mine didn't come with proper cables, unfortunately.

Those springs....sheesh! LOL

Swift

Established Member
She has fenders! Cruised it over to papa bear's house to make sure it rides as good as I thought (it do) and that cruise control works and yada yada yada. Only problem I'm having is if I'm driving for a while (on the interstate or something) and go to push the clutch in on the off ramp, the idle will fall and it'll surge and hunt for an idle and 3/5 times will eventually die. Doesn't do it just driving around a neighborhood, although still slightly noticeable. After it's done freaking out and surging it settles in at a nice 800rpm or so idle. I have a hunch the IAC is on its way out but I'm open to ideas.

Untitled by oh1slowsix, on Flickr

sonicdan

Established Member
Car is coming along! I remember when it was dipped white with gold bullitt wheels. I have loved watching your progress with it, and the attention to detail is great!

Any plans for boost down the line?

Swift

Established Member
Car is coming along! I remember when it was dipped white with gold bullitt wheels. I have loved watching your progress with it, and the attention to detail is great!

Any plans for boost down the line?
Thanks man! And yes, I have big plans for ramming air down its throat! Not sure when that'll come though, for now I'm just happy to be back in it driving it lol.

mustangman2000

Established Member
you will love the boost. Even though I have just a 2V, it is Procharged and a lot of fun! 410 rwhp and good enough for high 11s on a good day with DR.

Swift

Established Member
Guess I should update this.

Went out to buy a new air compressor since I killed my little 21 gallon Harbor freight one. When my buddy and I were unloading it I took a wrong step getting off the back of the truck and dislocated my knee cap (0/10 would not do again)

So that was a 7 week recovery time, not being able to hardly do anything at all in the shop. I'm just now getting back to normal.

So in the past week or two, I wrapped up the engine bay on the car since I was finally able to get that intake tube smoothed and painted

Bought basically everything I need to finish the build up (A/C compressor, IAC, Alot of paint, Hood struts, New aerocatch latches, FLSFC's, New radiator cover, yada yada yada)

Went and got a new tag for it since it's driveable now and it's been expired since august

And these came in the other day. BEAUTIFUL pieces. Can't wait to get them installed.

Users who are viewing this thread