My 2.3 Whipple Dyno Results

Venom351R

Established Member
So I decided not to go the ported Eaton route. I was told my current Eaton was ported as mentioned in another thread but it was not. I had bought the whipple previously but was still debating on just porting the Eaton or doing the whipple but you can see what I decided to do.
Turns out the car has a 6# crank pulley, I thought it was a 4# but after measuring it turns out its a 6#. Also to go along with what I was told with my car having a ported Eaton I was told it had GT Supercar pumps. It did not. This was discovered on the dyno. I was at 100% duty cycle at 4,000 rpm's. The run was cut short at 5,500 RPM's. Car was dynoed at Performance Dyno by Pete Johnson in NH. Mods that matter are Kooks long tubes, 6# lower crank, 2.3 Whipple ( newest model ) with 3.5" pulley, SCT BA 2600 MAF, 60lb injectors, O/R X and Bassani exhaust. I was expecting to break 600, was thinking 620's maybe 630 and possibly touch 650 on torco. The pull was at 5,500 and it made 658/653 at 18 PSI with running out of fuel pump. I ordered the Fore hat and pump kit from Cobra Dan and once those arrive and I get them in I'll be going back to Pete to finish the tune. Needless to say I was more than impressed with what this 2.3 whipple can do. My last terminator made 676 at 19 psi on a VMP Gen3 R.
436627641_976535480785206_9164496925727664262_n.jpg
438065248_450107624233281_3503537666649000424_n.jpg
436660538_7782849338444184_4518792405349498748_n.jpg
436622672_423666940266012_7433725217668378327_n.jpg

bird_dog0347

Established Member
That's a sexy looking car man! It really sucks being told one thing when you buy it then finding out it is something else. It is the reason I trust no one.

Venom351R

Established Member
That's a sexy looking car man! It really sucks being told one thing when you buy it then finding out it is something else. It is the reason I trust no one.

Yeah it definitely sucks. Guy I bought it from got it from a dealer so he was going off what he was told. I have a feeling that the owner before him took a lot of stuff off this car before unloading it. Had an SOS gauge pod at one point but that was taken as well. At least it still retained the RXT clutch so that was a relief.
436658202_1475580236404446_5426254834084865523_n.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Man the salt sure does a number on everything up there!

Did the 2.3 Whipple’s get newer rotors like the 2.9s?

Think maybe I read they got the upgrade that Gen3s got?

Those numbers are huge at 5500 and not E.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Venom351R

Established Member
Man the salt sure does a number on everything up there!

Did the 2.3 Whipple’s get newer rotors like the 2.9s?

Think maybe I read they got the upgrade that Gen3s got?

Those numbers are huge at 5500 and not E.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Car's never been in salt. its a GA car and VA the last year or so.

stangfreak

Established Member
93 only. I had Torco with me but w/ out getting the fuel it needed there was no point in using it until the pumps get done
93 octane. Pete must know something that I dont know about these cars lol By the numbers your tq is almost the same as HP. I dont know if the same rules apply but I was always told with the eaton, roots type, once you start making more tq than hp the blowr is kinda maxing out. so at only 18lbs 93 pump pulling it a 5500. This of course on a dyno jet. or I could be wrong. I also had a 2.3 whipple at 23lbs. vp100. and had it at 19lbs pump gas. I guess all cars and dynos are different.

Last edited:

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s awesome. There are many days I wish I had kept my 2.3 and gone with the 2.76/2lb lower set up. The 3.0 and pulls hard AF up top but it’s definitely soft on the hit compared to the 2.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venom351R

Established Member
That’s awesome. There are many days I wish I had kept my 2.3 and gone with the 2.76/2lb lower set up. The 3.0 and pulls hard AF up top but it’s definitely soft on the hit compared to the 2.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I much prefer the lower hit, its just a street car I don't drag race or have not built the car to do so. Can't even drive anywhere around here to get the benefits of the up top power of a bigger blower so the 2.3 was an easy choice to make

MG0h3

Established Member
93 octane. Pete must know something that I dont know about these cars lol By the numbers your tq is almost the same as HP. I dont know if the same rules apply but I was always told with the eaton, roots type, once you start making more tq than hp the blowr is kinda maxing out. so at only 18lbs 93 pump pulling it a 5500. This of course on a dyno jet. or I could be wrong. I also had a 2.3 whipple at 23lbs. vp100. and had it at 19lbs pump gas. I guess all cars and dynos are different.

IMG_2053.JPG

This should be what we’re seeing. His torque is maxed right there.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Venom351R

Established Member
All cars do dyno differently and also depends on who is tuning it. Pete does not use base files from someone else he's made his own as many other reputable tuners have done but also many other take whatever base file is provided by lund or PBD or someone else and worked off of it from there. Also the weather was perfect for doing pulls the day I went. 50's and no humidity. By the time I get back there it will be much warmer. As far as the 2.3 being maxed out that's definity not true. He's been tuned quite a few Cobra's that have been built by a local shop with 2.3's that have broken 700. I had my previous cobra with a VMP Gen3R dynoed on the same dyno by the same tuner and its on par with what the Gen3R was doing. Plus the fact that you can see where he let off the throttle just before 5,500 RPM's and the HP is still climbing. Not sure how much more is left with another 1,000 RPM but it has 660-670 in it.

PC03GT

Established Member
All cars do dyno differently and also depends on who is tuning it. Pete does not use base files from someone else he's made his own as many other reputable tuners have done but also many other take whatever base file is provided by lund or PBD or someone else and worked off of it from there. Also the weather was perfect for doing pulls the day I went. 50's and no humidity. By the time I get back there it will be much warmer. As far as the 2.3 being maxed out that's definity not true. He's been tuned quite a few Cobra's that have been built by a local shop with 2.3's that have broken 700. I had my previous cobra with a VMP Gen3R dynoed on the same dyno by the same tuner and its on par with what the Gen3R was doing. Plus the fact that you can see where he let off the throttle just before 5,500 RPM's and the HP is still climbing. Not sure how much more is left with another 1,000 RPM but it has 660-670 in it.
Probably so, mine made 654/600, but my pulley combo was 3.0 upper and stock lower. I believe a bigger lower will always give you that boost in torque. You have a stout car, sir

Last edited:

Venom351R

Established Member
Probably so, mine made 654/600, but my pulley combo was 3.0 upper and stock lower. I believe a bigger lower will always give you that boost in torque. You have a stout car, sir

Thank you. Its fun despite only driving it home since the tune. I am off of work for the next few days with today and the weekend being all sunshine so I'm getting a bit more driving time in.

I never would have done longtubes or the lower crank if they were not already done. I just wanted a simple build w/ out getting into the headaches of bigger builds. I knew the car had longtubes before going to look at it but did not know the crank was done until I was there looking at it. Figured it was a 2 or 4# but after actually measuring it and seeing that it was 9" across turns out its a 6#. All I really planned on doing was a simple build with a whipple 2.3, pumps and injectors needed to support it and a MAF and call it good. Not complaining I love the power it puts out and wouldn't take any of it back, just wasn't what I was expecting as this is the first Cobra I've had with the lower crank done with longtubes. Being that I'm still sticking with the same mentality of a more simplistic build I'm just doing the Fore hat with the upgraded pumps. I know tons of people will pile on and say to do a full return system. I don't disagree but its also not needed. Cobra Dan down in mass has built plenty of Cobra's and sent them off to Pete to be tuned with a 2.3 whipple with upgraded pumps and the Fore hat and injectors blah blah... and they have been fine. I appreciate everyone's feedback and input either on forums on FB groups but in the end I'm always going to listen to my tuner above anyone else and if Pete is not pushing me to go full return then I'm not doing it

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations on the great numbers.....and the great tune! Pete is one THE best Terminator tuners. A legend in the NorthEast IMO. He knows these motors, for sure. Surely a guy you can trust as far as recommendations, necessities, upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread