My 1987 Mazda RX7 a concise build thread (LS1 Haters do not enter)

Tispho

Established Member
I decided to build an rx7 with an ls1 because I wanted something light and nimble.

Purchased the rx7 for 1400 dollars and trailer-ed it home.
COEyLxr.jpg

This car was running, had a pretty decent body, everything worked, even the pop up headlights
5eWvY5i.jpg

The powertrain going into this car was going to be an ls1/t56 combo
I found a t56 with around 80k miles on it, threw it in my car
3sBumLo.jpg

Then I found an ls1 out of a 98 trans am with pcm and wiring harness.
vvird5F.jpg

Prepping the rx7 for engine removal
xu2iQST.jpg

Out you go
NI4vbiM.jpg

Looks like enough room for an ls1
KkdjWid.jpg

The original 13b, seems like a pretty complicated engine, I had no idea what anything was... To me, it was just a chunk of metal with a buncha hoses going out of it. I sold it for 280 bux with the old trans. I was very surprised because the buyer was very interested in it. This thing was leaking oil and had corrosion all over it. He still wanted it.
2GuvTY9.jpg

Had to make room for the t56 by grinding down the trans tunnel
ARBdNtA.jpg

KMUKaNA.jpg

putting a lift plate on the ls1
KLjDblx.jpg

LS1/T56 Combo going in
PcysYL5.jpg

Fits better than the old engine, checkout all that room. I used Ronin speedwork pedestal mounts
2uZYZXW.jpg

Putting the intake manifold back on, everything still fits.
6E8NN78.jpg

Installed the radiator using some stuff I got from home depot. I cushioned everything to make sure that the radiator won't crack due to vibration
ubwYilB.jpg

Brazed some copper together to reroute heater hoses
1W9y4WH.jpg

X4ncvnd.jpg

Then I started working on the exhaust, the stock manifolds fit, but the old flanges had to be cut off. I welded some 2.5 exhaust tubing in place just to test the engine
IOjMchQ.jpg

I completed the wiring which was fairly easy, but took a long time. Then tried to start it up. At first the engine did not start, and heres the reason why.
qujcdHz.jpg

Cleaned the fuel rails, and the injectors using my own method. Heres the apparatus I used. Some clear tubing and a battery. lol. I poured some pb blaster in the tubing, put my mouth over it and blew into it, then manually fired the injector using the battery.
7dvXe7c.jpg

Engine fired up right up afterwards.
[youtube_browser]PQG-eCojI7Q[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]l7LOMa-8FTY[/youtube_browser]

relocated the battery because there was no room in the engine bay, plus it balances out the car better.
nrZ70Ru.jpg

Need to replace the front bushings
62XcwTW.jpg

Burning them off was a bad idea
ZEx6ArG.jpg

Ended up using this contraption to remove bushings
SzaByie.jpg

8BqXEo9.jpg

Used a corvette c4 driveshaft and all I had to do was replace the rear flange for it to fit.
MbspH19.jpg

Measured and started welding the exhaust together, first were the headers. This is what I came up with
SHnryas.jpg

Then I welded together the rest. There were no plans or anything, I just tack welded some pieces on the car, took it off and welded it. This was actually pretty easy and enjoyable. The mufflers are from magnaflow and the tips are 4" ones made by cherry bomb
uw6MLxM.jpg

heres how it sounds
[youtube_browser]Eg-89LMrVO4[/youtube_browser]

The original speedometer was cable driven, and the ls1 uses an analog signal. I ended up using a speedometer out of a honda integra, and retrofitted it into the rx7s gauge cluster.
PnHDUT4.jpg

I also rolled back the integra odometer, which is laughable since it was so easy to do
RLreh0H.jpg

yzAI2BG.jpg

Started working on the interior pieces, used a product called leather refinish which is like a leather paint.
rE3ApFA.jpg

Found some crown vic wheels at the junk yard and cleaned them up
fBIJEJ8.jpg

F4RWXgJ.jpg

They were clean... but the lip had a lot of pitting and I wanted them polished.... so I polished them... On my ls1 powered lathe with some sand paper
4yzKcoo.jpg

The car runs and drives now it was time to do bodywork and paint. I'm not very good at bodywork so don't laugh...
241cZVx.jpg

Sprayed some epoxy primer on and sanded it down.
kcc7Z8N.jpg

Sprayed some basecoat on.
r4K8qXJ.jpg

Polished out the old tail lights.
OkFjrEA.jpg

Polished out the old lenses. When it comes to wet sanding and polishing, I am king.
56PpzWS.jpg

NhEAqon.jpg

BEFORE SHOTS
xChVzuh.jpg

cyPQjbJ.jpg

AFTER SHOTS, END RESULT. Took several months to complete. This build thread makes it seem easy, but there were plenty of other small things not listed in this thread that needed to be done.
KLidQ30.jpg

XPARXG4.jpg

HsQk8Vv.jpg

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
Holy crap I love it!! I would love to something like that man! Crown vic wheels look surprisingly real good.

Congratulations on an awesome build:beer:

Tispho

Established Member
Thats pretty damn sweet! All in all, how much did you spend to have it as it sits today?

Hmm...

RX7 $1400
Tax $42
Sold Engine and Trans -$280
LS1 - $2000
T56 - $1400
Mounting Kit $590
Exhaust ~400 just in parts (tubing, mufflers, clamps, flanges)
Other Miscellanous parts ~2000
Paint ~$500

Maybe around 8 grand?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
George-Costanza-clapping.gif

I always laugh when I see crown vic HPP wheels on imports, in fact I just saw another FC RX7 on those wheels sunday night lol

Car looks awesome, you REALLY turned it around. The paint came out great to.

Blk03CobraVenom

Love me some Boost
Established Member
Cool! Now you're ready to sell it to me. Thanks for doing all the dirty work. :-D In all seriousness, (unless you would be willing to sell) you did such a fantastic job. I have to commend you on that awesome transformation.

smitty2919

Established Member
Congrats and good for you.

Someday I'll have a little project like this when I have room to do so LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread