My '03 is down for a while.....

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hi Folks,

Well, I just got finished installing a set of Autometer Lunar gauges in my car and now it's broke!

To make a long story short, when I installed the new oil pressure sender in the stock location and moved the stock pressure switch to the bottom threaded boss, I couldn't get a good seal on the stock switch and it leaked like crazy. I tried just about every kind of sealer and low and behold, today I found the reason for the leak. Check out the attached picture.....it is a picture of the "oil filter adapter" and is normally attached to the block. It connects to the oil cooler assembly and has both coolant and oil going through it. Notice the nice crack in the casting. The crappy thing is, I can't see how I did it? I didn't overtorque the sensor by any means. It must've just been a weak casting.

Well, be careful when installing you oil pressure gauge. You don't want to do what I did! Can't wait to see how much this is going to cost me.

Cheers,

Mark

Steve B

Established Member
Well, if you had to break something, at least you broke something that is relatively cheap (I think) and looks like it is bolt on replaceable. If Ford is back-ordered on those, you might look at a bolt on remote filter kit to get you up and running.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You are correct that must have been a weak casting, there is no way that should have cracked without some significant torque occuring.

Good Luck

Hulk

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
Hi Folks,

Well, I just got finished installing a set of Autometer Lunar gauges in my car and now it's broke!

To make a long story short, when I installed the new oil pressure sender in the stock location and moved the stock pressure switch to the bottom threaded boss, I couldn't get a good seal on the stock switch and it leaked like crazy. I tried just about every kind of sealer and low and behold, today I found the reason for the leak. Check out the attached picture.....it is a picture of the "oil filter adapter" and is normally attached to the block. It connects to the oil cooler assembly and has both coolant and oil going through it. Notice the nice crack in the casting. The crappy thing is, I can't see how I did it? I didn't overtorque the sensor by any means. It must've just been a weak casting.

Well, be careful when installing you oil pressure gauge. You don't want to do what I did! Can't wait to see how much this is going to cost me.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark - too bad about that - good luck.

How does the Magnaflow catted X sound with the catback? I have the catback, butt you are the only one I have seen with the X - is it very miuch louder than the CB alone?

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Re: Re: My '03 is down for a while.....

Originally posted by Cobra'03

Mark - too bad about that - good luck.

How does the Magnaflow catted X sound with the catback? I have the catback, butt you are the only one I have seen with the X - is it very miuch louder than the CB alone?

Hey, who you calling "butt"? J/K!

Seriously, I like the sound of it BUT I'll be doing longtubes in the next few weeks so the X-pipe will go bye-bye in favor of a shorty H w/cats.

Cheers,

Mark

forane2001

Established Member
magnaflow x

I have the magnaflow cat x with the steeda catback (borla) and it really kicks ass. louder than I thought but certainly tolerable.
:burn
GW

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Update: found the part at a local Lincon-Mercury dealer for $169. They have it in stock. :)

Mark

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Mark: try to weld the old one. Is that cast steel? It might be a mofo to weld, but if you are going to toss it out it might be worth the attempt.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Well, thanks for all the input and kind words. I just got finished installing the new "oil filter adapter" and refilling the cooling system. All went well and the total cost with new part, gasket, and coolant: $200

Cheers,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread